Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by psycon View Post
    Well.. I think its a matter of opinion. I dont find 'better' being able to kite or getting more dmg.
    As a mage i define better, being able to not get hit, and to nuke things down ASAP. But i guess its just me
    the bolded part contradicts the italics soooooooo bad.
    BfA Beta Time

I leveled to 75 as Fire and the dual spec'd arcane for instances.

Fire:
    Lots of damage
    Lots of stuns / Push backs
    >> Dragons breath = Stuned group of targets + Chance of instant fire aoe thing (cant remember the name)
    >> Blast wave = Push back + Chance of instant fire aoe thing (cant remember the name)
    >> Fire Blast = Chance to stun target
    Instant pyroblast

TBH if the target got to land more then one blow on me before they were loot it was usualy because i missclicked / fat fingered the keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle View Post
    the bolded part contradicts the italics soooooooo bad.
    Please read it again, carefully.
    There are more ways to not get hit, beside kiting. Like stuns for example. (frost nova, Dragons Breath, Blast Wave, Fire Blast proc)
    If i want to kite things, i play my hunter.
    About the part of the 'getting more dmg' i mean; getting dmg from mobs, not doing dmg.

So basically im not contradicting anything here.

edit; typos
    Last edited by psycon; 2010-07-09 at 01:39 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    dragon's breath is a disorient, not a stun. fire only has one stun: impact, which is a proc off of random fire spells allowing your next fireblast to stun the target for...2 seconds was it?

the problem with fire is the mana cost and cast times. in the time it takes to cast 2 fireballs at 300 mana each, you can cast 3 at 150 mana each, basically giving you a free spell to cast. of course, fire's instant casts are also mana whores and the only redeeming part of them is fire starter, which is only available at higher levels due to its tree placement.

frost is the best, easiest, and most efficient for leveling once you can pick up 3 talents: shatter, frostbite, and imp. blizzard. from that point forward you can pull 5+ mobs and kill them all in less time and at less mana cost than the other two specs could. throw in ice barrier and a permanent pet and leveling as frost really becomes a joke.

---------- Post added 2010-07-09 at 01:40 PM ----------

Please read it again, carefully.
    There are more ways to not get hit, beside kiting. Like stuns for example. (frost nova, Dragons Breath, Blast Wave, Fire Blast proc) If i want to kite things, i play my hunter.
    About the part of the 'getting more dmg' i mean; getting dmg from mobs, not doing dmg.

So basically im not contradicting anything here.

edit; typos
    you think not getting hit is good, yet think kiting is bad. you say getting more damage (which is quite possibly the worst choice of words since it can easily be interpreted as "dealing more damage through talents") is bad while nuking something down is good.

your statement is a contradiction wrapped in an oxymoron on a bed of fallacy.
    BfA Beta Time

Its apparently not getting true your thick skull what im trying to say..

I dont say kiting is bad, im just saying kiting is not 'best' and that there are more ways to Rome.
    And the dmg part.. screw it i give up.. wasting my time here. glhf

stay Frost imo, no need to dualspec either. why frost is awsome for q-ing, great surv. with the shield and water elemental. and you can have some kite fun. and in instances you can still put out some decent dmg. i find arcane to be fun aswell, but the oom and the lack of CC (sure slow is there) is just bad. but sure its a matter of playstyle, best specc is kinda hard to say

15+ Year Old Account
    Its apparently not getting true your thick skull what im trying to say..

I dont say kiting is bad, im just saying kiting is not 'best' and that there are more ways to Rome.
    And the dmg part.. screw it i give up.. wasting my time here. glhf
    and i've successfully gotten rid of one more terrible mage from these forums. i may now continue on with my day at the patent office.
    BfA Beta Time

15+ Year Old Account
    Wish they implemented REALID here.
    if you've paid attention, you'd know that i've given my name and location out on these forums quite a bit and that the whole real ID fiasco has no bearing on me whatsoever.
    BfA Beta Time

In my opinion (I'm leveling a mage)

...................... Frost......Fire.....Arcane

Solo Questing.....10.........8........... 7

Donjon/groupe....5.........10...........10

PvP...................10........7............ 5

In fact, arcane and fire>frost when you can make somebody esle get the aggro.

15+ Year Old Account
    Frost is much better for 5mans than most people think. FS+Blizzard with 1+ point of imp blizzard and FoF is crazy good aoe damage. Against stun immune enemies (some trash and almost all bosses) frost is pretty good because of DF. To put it short: arcane wins on singletarget, but frost wins on aoe. (talking about 5mans) As 5mans are full of aoe, frost can be in fact the superior 5man spec.

Once you get to a high enough level (bottom of any tree) I'd say it's more a matter of how you like to level. If you prefer to pull 3-5 mobs and aoe or CC then down together, frost will aid that style of play infinitely better. If you're the type who likes to get a single mob down as fast as possible and move on the the next one with little downtime, I would suggest arcane personally. Once you have a super short evocate cooldown and combine that with the glyph (heals you as well) you become a leveling machine. It is a bit weaker than frost if you end up pulling a bit extra, but arcane can handle up to 3 mobs fairly easily. Sheep one, nova one, kill one, etc.

On some of my chars I like to pull everything in site, aoe them all down, and heal up as I collect quest items or loot. On other chars it feels faster to nuke a single mob as fast as possible to get yourself to the next one quickly. In my mage leveling experience, it just depends on which type you are.

I levelled my Mage in Frost. Was great fun. When I got Ice Lance, it was awesome. Mobs dropped like flies. Interestingly, I abandoned my Mage shortly after dinging 80. The endgame didn't interest me at all, I found Mages boring. Levelling yes. Amazing. May even take her for a spin to 85, as frost ofc
    Quote Originally Posted by Spritely View Post
    That said, I'm going to bed. Having a conversation in this context with someone with an avatar alluding to heroine use is just odd.

I have no idea why there is even a discussion here, the answer is glaringly obvious and the answer is Frost.

For soloing/questing, Frost is the best due to resonable damage, high mana efficiency and obscene control.

For PvP (BGs), Frost is the best due to reasonable damage and obscene control.

For dungeons, Frost is NOT the best, but it's also not far behind Fire (and to a lesser extent Arcane at higher levels). However, I ask you this, when leveling a PURE DPS character, what are the queue times like for dungeons? Answer? Fooking long that's what. So most of your leveling will be done outside of dungeons.

So Frost is the best at everything other than dungeons? And You do most of your leveling OUTSIDE of dungeons?

As I said... why is this even a discussion.
    Last edited by Flaubertlives; 2010-07-12 at 10:55 AM.

Because not everyone agrees what to understand by 'best'.

Nope. Frost is not the 'best no question hands down.'

Frost is very good, and is the spec I would myself suggest up until the mid-60s when other options open up, but it's just as easy to level a mage as fire up until Arcane Blast, then just as easy to level as Arcane or Fire as it is Frost.

Frost has a lot of tools to add to survivability, it's true. But fire blasts through mobs so fast that survivability rarely is a question when quest grinding. And once Arcane gets Arcane Blast, it's damage is very high, its mobility is extreme, and can effectively chain kill mobs and never have to rest, due to the very short cooldown on Evocation coupled with the glyph to add healing to Evocate.

Basically the best mage spec to level with is really the one you have the most fun playing; the three specs are close enough in ability to quest grind that playing the one which has the playstyle that suits you best is much, much better than trying to jam yourself into a spec you're not enjoying as much.

And I've levelled mages as all three specs. Love the class, always have.

If I was to level another one, I'd definitely go Frost to 64, then switch to Arcane; but that's just me.

I loved leveling as fire. Two shotting mobs is ftw.