Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Leveling as ret in cata?

Im a holy pala obv, and when cata is going to be released I'll be taking some days off and specing ret for leveling.

My question is, What's going to be the best way?

What Seal?
    What glyphs?
    Any weird items that will make it ez mode? (eg. Sindragosa's fang for the resist)
    What enchants?

If a pro ret could help out, would be awesome thanks.

15+ Year Old Account
    Short version: No one knows.

just get normal ret gear. weapon with selfhealing like bryntroll could help. as for glyphs i would use the normal ones. but maybe go for exorcism or divine storm glyph instead of consecration because you won't use consecration a lot during lvling

Seal: command if more then 2
    Veng/corr if it is an elite or if it takes long to die
    Righteousness for quick kills
    Glyphs: judgement, command (unless you want to level with veng/corr up), and exorcism for max dps.
    Items: doesnt matter, leveling is easy and EVERYTHING will be replaced very fast.
    Enchants: you dont need to go overboard since most of ur gear will be replaced very soon but if you are rich and want to spend money the standard dps enchants would give you a little boost.

I'm in the same boat. I'm going to be leveling Prot, though, with a dps sword. I'll be partnered with a dps, and being prot will also allow faster queue times while questing.

Quote Originally Posted by wtftruck View Post
    Seal: command if more then 2
    Veng/corr if it is an elite or if it takes long to die
    Righteousness for quick kills
    Glyphs: judgement, command (unless you want to level with veng/corr up), and exorcism for max dps.
    Items: doesnt matter, leveling is easy and EVERYTHING will be replaced very fast.
    Enchants: you dont need to go overboard since most of ur gear will be replaced very soon but if you are rich and want to spend money the standard dps enchants would give you a little boost.
    Why go through all of that?? Odds are that the mobs you are attacking while questing will die very quickly regardless of what seal you use. As such, it really doesn't matter which seal you pick. Just blow them up.

Win7(64)Pro - Intel 3770K @ 4.5GHz - 4x4GB DDR3 G Skill Ripjaws X - XFX Radeon HD 7970 - Samsung EVO 500GB SSD

I probably should have mentioned, my ret gear is basically all 277 plate pieces from ICC, No tier.

Should I at least pick up the 2pc of the tier for insta divine storms? I have every piece of loot in ICC available to me so that's no issue, even though I'll replace some things probably in the 83-85 zones/instances, But I don't expect to replace all of it.

Maybe it's just me but you make it sound like you're gonna respec, as in dropping holy to go ret for lvling and god knows what at 85.
    In case that's what you meant, I would highly suggest you get dual spec, solo as ret and find groups faster if you can also heal, not to mention there will obviously be more group quest, hopefuly some ring of blood wannabe questline which I love, where it would benefit you a great deal if you keep the option of switching to healing when needed.

Also, blizz is trying to make healer specs much more viable for soloing, I doubt it'll kill shit as fast as ret but there's always the point that all healing gear from dungeons or quest that are an upgrade will help more at 85 if you wanna be main spec holy for cata endgame content.

"I probably should have mentioned, my ret gear is basically all 277 plate pieces from ICC, No tier.

Should I at least pick up the 2pc of the tier for insta divine storms? I have every piece of loot in ICC available to me so that's no issue, even though I'll replace some things probably in the 83-85 zones/instances, But I don't expect to replace all of it."

Kinda pointless, new content will be designed for lvl 78 in the usual blues or whatever, the same thing that happened in BC and Wrath, of course good gear helps but diffinitely not needed, your alt in shit gear will lvl faster than your main because you'll be going thru the same quests a second time.
    Last edited by Freshouttajail; 2010-07-09 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elderado.Converge View Post
    I probably should have mentioned, my ret gear is basically all 277 plate pieces from ICC, No tier.

Should I at least pick up the 2pc of the tier for insta divine storms? I have every piece of loot in ICC available to me so that's no issue, even though I'll replace some things probably in the 83-85 zones/instances, But I don't expect to replace all of it.
    Absolutely!! Assuming your guild is anything like mine if you have that gear for your off-spec, the 264 tokens get vendored and the money goes to the gbank. 2T10(264) is SOO much better than any 277 piece you could put in its place.

Win7(64)Pro - Intel 3770K @ 4.5GHz - 4x4GB DDR3 G Skill Ripjaws X - XFX Radeon HD 7970 - Samsung EVO 500GB SSD

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prentice View Post
    Absolutely!! Assuming your guild is anything like mine if you have that gear for your off-spec, the 264 tokens get vendored and the money goes to the gbank. 2T10(264) is SOO much better than any 277 piece you could put in its place.
    You'll have more gold in the gbank than you will know what to do with in Cata :P

Quote Originally Posted by Prentice View Post
    Yea pretty much, I have 8 264 tokens in my bags incase I want to pick up any of the prot/ret pieces rofl. So ill grab 2 piece then, and maybe use my HBryn with Lifeward for non stop healing, or HBloodfall with zerking for dps. gotta wait for more info I guess.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yea pretty much, I have 8 264 tokens in my bags incase I want to pick up any of the prot/ret pieces rofl. So ill grab 2 piece then, and maybe use my HBryn with Lifeward for non stop healing, or HBloodfall with zerking for dps. gotta wait for more info I guess.
    You can pretty much assume that you'll blow through most mobs anyhow, despite any leveling changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyrrel View Post
    Maybe it's just me but you make it sound like you're gonna respec, as in dropping holy to go ret for lvling and god knows what at 85.
    In case that's what you meant, I would highly suggest you get dual spec, solo as ret and find groups faster if you can also heal, not to mention there will obviously be more group quest, hopefuly some ring of blood wannabe questline which I love, where it would benefit you a great deal if you keep the option of switching to healing when needed.

Also, blizz is trying to make healer specs much more viable for soloing, I doubt it'll kill shit as fast as ret but there's always the point that all healing gear from dungeons or quest that are an upgrade will help more at 85 if you wanna be main spec holy for cata endgame content.

"I probably should have mentioned, my ret gear is basically all 277 plate pieces from ICC, No tier.

Should I at least pick up the 2pc of the tier for insta divine storms? I have every piece of loot in ICC available to me so that's no issue, even though I'll replace some things probably in the 83-85 zones/instances, But I don't expect to replace all of it."

Kinda pointless, new content will be designed for lvl 78 in the usual blues or whatever, the same thing that happened in BC and Wrath, of course good gear helps but diffinitely not needed, your alt in shit gear will lvl faster than your main because you'll be going thru the same quests a second time.
    Nah I have dual spec, and it is ret, I just don't really play it very often (Kinda what happends when u grab a legendary)

Please don't use Lifeward ever on any weapon ever for any reason ever because it is terrible.... ever!! Thank you.

The mobs in Icecrown have the same health as most of the 80-82 mobs in hyjal and I am able to pull about 20-30 of them and burn them down with seal of command and my 2piece t10 DS spam. It's gunna be crazy easy to kill mobs.

odds are... the dungeon finder will be the quickest path to 85 so i would go either holy or prot or find a tank and or healer friend and grind to 85 that, You get to know the instances get the gear and your ready for heroics.

edit: the green crafted helm(gloves?) at 460 blacksmithing will be better then pretty much anything you get in icc since they have mastery on them, and more strength and haste then fleshrending gauntlets so a lose of about 2 crit. So... my conclusion who really cares what you get in icc unless it's trinkets for cataclysm leveling... that and shadowmourne.
    Last edited by Borigrad; 2010-07-09 at 05:17 PM.
    I'm glad to have multiple personalities, if i didn't i would be talking to myself, and that's just insane.

Deleted

Should I at least pick up the 2pc of the tier for insta divine storms? I have every piece of loot in ICC available to me.
    fail, 4x T10 is more of a damage boost than you might think

edit: just read that ret is only your 2nd specc. nevermind.
    Last edited by mmocc1c2045491; 2010-07-09 at 05:24 PM.

Get 4 piece t10, get BS gloves when cata is released and profit, the 2 piece will be probably be very worth keeping, depending on how they screw with divine storm

What Seal?: Righteousness
    What glyphs?: Righteousness, Judgement, Exorcism
    Any weird items that will make it ez mode? (eg. Sindragosa's fang for the resist): TAJ, and <insert burst trinket here>.
    What enchants? Normal BiS enchants.

I leveled to 82 in about 12 hours /played (I has life) with the above set up, 2piece T10, random 277 offspec loot I picked up from in guild, and Heroic Oxheart. (Bryn'troll for soloing quest elites)

I'm almost knowing that TAJ will be nerfed somewhere in the final build. Free 6-10k hit? D:
    If not i'm pretty positive TAJ will remain BiS until a suitable similar trinket is found.

Deleted
    IF there still in, I`ll be grp pulling with Seal of Command + Glyph and aoe them all down using JoL and SShield along with a PvP Holy Libram for emergencys