Leveling Worgen rogue for Cata (Need help!)

Hi all,

I'm currently in the process of building up some heirloom items for the worgen rogue that I plan on leveling when Cataclysm comes out. I'm trying to debate on whether it will make sense to level as Combat or Assasination... or maybe even Subtlety?

I've leveled a rogue back in Vanilla/BC and leveled 50% of the time as Combat and 50% of the time as Sub. Combat seemed faster, but doing nothing but spam sinister strike on every mob got really boring really fast. So I ended up switching to Sub just for the fun of seeing big numbers with Ambush crits, but that spec sucked if you didn't crit with Ambush since it took forever to kill stuff and there was a lot of downtime.

I haven't played a rogue at all during Wrath, so I'm wondering what the general consensus is for leveling a new rogue. Does it matter which spec I go? Is Assasination fun, or does Mutilate get just as boring as spamming Sinister Strike?

I'm figuring that with the coming changes, we will probably get Mutilate at level 10 with the new talent tree, so I'm thinking that might be pretty fun to try leveling as Assassination. (Granted all of this could change once we see the new talent builds). Also with the combat point system changes, I can just massacre something and then after it's dead pop those unused CPs on Recuperate and keep trucking along.

So tl;dr version: I'm planning on leveling an assassination rogue for cataclysm (unless everyone tells me it sucks), I need help figuring out what weapons to use.

Current Heirlooms:
    2x Melee Heirloom trinket
    1x Heirloom Chest
    1x Heirloom Shoulders
    1x Venerable Dal-Rends sword (Crusader) (In case I go combat)
    1x Heirloom Thrash Blade (Crusader) (Not sure whether this makes sense to use in OH since it's kinda slow)

My understanding is that for Mutilate I want to go "slow" daggers in both hands right? What about for enchant, should I use Crusader or should I go +15 agility on both weapons? I'm thinking that with Recuperate and the trinket procs, the heal from Crusader won't be needed... so maybe +15 agi is better?

Thanks!

-------------------------------------

Go for Sub daggers.

Opening with Ambush is a good way to bring it down. If the mob is still alive, you can hemo spam, as Hemo have been buffed for daggers

And shadow step at level 10 ... i will level sub :-)

If you can win it:

Ring from Saturday's Fishing Tournament - Gives 5% additional XP (making it 25% extra XP from Mobs)

the talent trees arent exactly finalised yet..so who knows what would be better..
    I would agree with you...but then we'd both be wrong.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Varian View Post
    the talent trees arent exactly finalised yet..so who knows what would be better..
    Based on what they're saying about the talent trees giving you a keynote talent right away at level 10... I'd consider what abilities you prefer and base your spec decision on that.
    Assassination is getting mutilate at level 10. This means early usage of 2 daggers which was never good.
    Combat isn't announced but it's either getting blade flurry or adrenaline rush at level 10. This means uber early cooldowns for handling big pulls or dominating instance dps meters =D.
    Sub is getting shadowstep at level 10. This means if they bump how early you get ambush, you just might be able to 1-2 shot stuff in good enough gear.

Personally, if I were to level another rogue, the fact that I could use 2 daggers and mutilate from the start would be extremely exciting compared to simply mashing sinister strike and never getting to use finishers as combat or sub.

ftw ambush at level 8! yay

Mutilate at lvl 10 will kill em all. Go for it.

considering how talents will be in cataclysm, blade flurry will be REALLY handy to have at the very early level 10. you get that and the 25% increased energy regeneration. it's also important to note that combat is the most versatile in weaponry. find an epic mace that beats your sword? go for it!

2nd in line i'd say mutilate now that i think of how overpowered mut would be at low levels and that i think it no longer requires daggers in cata. (i think)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    it's also important to note that combat is the most versatile in weaponry. find an epic mace that beats your sword? go for it!

2nd in line i'd say mutilate now that i think of how overpowered mut would be at low levels and that i think it no longer requires daggers in cata. (i think)
    statement 1 : so is sub
    statement 2 : you thinking ambush
    statement 3 : he's talking boa weps, so he probably won't be replacing them by quest/dungeon rewards

+15 Agi > Crusader imo, some say it's Crusader > 15 agi until level 60 (when Crusader starts to get worse). I personally prefer the passive 30 agility buff over the proc (wich always seems to proc when a mob dies and no other mobs are in proximity :/)

10+ Year Old Account
    Im making a worgen rogue for Cata as well, I got all the heirlooms for him. Didnt want to get the emblem heirlooms only, even tho some say its better, I got half emblem gear and half PVP heirloom so I can own it up that little bit more in WSG. I put dual 15 agi on the weps and +3 to all stats on the chest, and of course I have some blue BoEs waiting for him when he levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Wounds View Post
    Myself, yes, I have always wanted to be a mod
    Probably not, the job sucks.

You are forgetting the fact that most of the mobs are going to have their HP increased, this means no 1 shotting mobs, the better survivability you will have, the better the spec will be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

its still beta, but in the trees current form mutilate and combat are still vastly superior to sub leveling

blizz will need to give sub something like http://cata.wowhead.com/spell=79122 or <insert any of the great soling talents in combat> to bring it close to the other two trees

gonna reroll my human to worgen asap.

not a great fan, but fist animation is really cool (love fist weapons) and racials rocks. effectiveness > coolness.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.