Empowered Imp and Immolate clipping (Destro)

I recently saw a post on these forums claiming that clipping/refreshing immolate while Empowered Imp is active is a dps increase. I did a few tests and confirmed that an Immolate applied with the Empowered Imp buff does have a 100% crit rate and will do significantly more overall damage than an Incinerate or Chaos Bolt. I didn't do an extensive amount of testing to be sure, but self-buffed on the dummy I did about 20k with a single Immolate over it's duration and only 12k with an Incinerate. (I ensured that I had no procs active to alter these numbers.) My question centers around the proper timing of actually using this technique because the damage of the Immolate which one is casting isn't a pure dps increase due to the clipped damage from the previous Immolate. The true damage of that Immolate would take it's damage and subtract the lost damage of the clipped Immolate, at what duration left on that Immolate does refreshing net a dps increase? For example (Net damage of the new Immolate)-(Clipped damage of the old Immolate)>(The damage of an Incinerate or Chaos Bolt).
    In promulgating your esoteric cogitations or articulating your superficial sentimentalities and amicable philosophical or psychological observations, beware of platitudinous panderosity.

Quote Originally Posted by kai zayin View Post
    (Net damage of the new Immolate)-(Clipped damage of the old Immolate)>(The damage of an Incinerate or Chaos Bolt).
    I think you mean gross, not net.

I believe (and I may be wrong) that the two words are in fact synonyms, but what may I ask does your post contribute to my thread?....
    In promulgating your esoteric cogitations or articulating your superficial sentimentalities and amicable philosophical or psychological observations, beware of platitudinous panderosity.

Ultimately, the recasting of Immolate early is going to primarily come at the cost of getting less incinerates off. Yeah you are clipping the existing Immolate but the loss in damage comes from casting more Immolates over the same period. I'm not sure exactly how to calculate it out exactly but I'd say that if it's within the last 2 or 3 ticks of the immolate clipping it to use an Emp Imp proc should net a dps increase.

Ah, thank you Evan. I had failed to consider your point, that certainly will make a large difference over the course of a fight.