Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Why do ppl like Mary sues, but hate dynamic characters

why do people hate mary sue characters (characters who has no flaws) while hate on characters who are dynamic and add to the story line and can develope over time within the story

Thrall,Jiana....Rhonin(cause i had to say) all mary sue characters

Thrall will be my main example here. he is beloved by every one, but is a mary sue. he is perfect in every way and im glad hes gone as horde leader. he didnt add to the story and there was no more way for him to add to any of the plotlines.

Garrosh is hated by every 1 who is on the bangwagon. Varian is mainly just hated by the horde (and some alliance who want to be care bear story where every 1 holds hands and gets along and allows bs to happen like in jainas thereamore)

both of those characters actually are somthing.... they are dynamic and add greatly to the games already awesome storyline. alot of characters in the orignal warcraft series were dynamic. they werent gods (minus cenarius).

what i want to know is

why hate garrosh he adds to the plot (unless ur alliance)
    why hate varian he adds to the plot (unless ur horde)

why luv thrall he can no longer add to the plot unless we kill the faction system and make 1 super faction with him leading which would suck overall

Thrall is not a mary sue, he has flaws anger hate etc. Ofc if you played Wc3 and read lord of the clans you allready know that things didnt go his way all the time. As we are talking about this is it me or are people just inclined to hate heros in any story because its just the "cool" thing to do heros allways win just how it is, if the bad guy won all the time we would be depressed.

futhermore i have no idea as to why there is so mutch hate on rhonin yes i know everything goes right with him etc but thats what you want to read right? give me a list of what flaws make him a mary sue and i will gladly take them as fact but i doubt you could give a list of valid reasons

and inb4 knaak lover etc and other BS comments i don't like his writing or his other works just want to know everyones reason why so mutch hate on rhonin.
    Last edited by SK02; 2010-07-10 at 12:59 AM.

Thrall is not a Mary Sue. He clearly has flaws. For instance, his kindness.
    "Care about 'er? I love her! I'd kill everyone in the world and myself if she wanted it!"

Thrall makes some horrible decisions. He puts Garrosh in charge (which may prove a reasonable idea, but for NOW it's not), lets Gallywix continue to run the Bilgewater Cartel, among other dubious and silly things. His flaw is that he's basically a big ol' doormat.

Jaina was pretty damn racist and uninformed in WC3 for a while. She's also generally been dumbed-down quite a bit since Wrath - Theramore is not part of Stormwind, therefore Varian Wrynn is not your king. Just one of several other examples of her falling over into a pit of hormones rather than being competent.

How is Thrall in any way a mary sue? People love Thrall because he's an awesome, dynamic character. Hes got his flaws, but he also gives us plenty of reasons to identify with him, to root for him, and to call him our Warchief =D. Just like Varian gives (at least us horde players)us plenty of reasons to hate him -- he's vengeful, he's , and he's just downright racist (he is an Azerothian Human after all).

I think the reason horde players don't like Garrosh (or at least the idea of him leading the Horde) is because he's too 'old-horde' and he's scarily similar to our enemy, Varian. I've always been a little confused about Garrosh's character arc... I would've never guessed Garrosh would be the orc he is today based on how he's portrayed in BC... but that's just me (or maybe I just don't remember those quests right).

Rhonin may look like a mary sue just because of Knaak

Jaina ain't at all. She's a weakling.

Thrall sometimes let his feelings overcome the (now former) role of warchief.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    A good example of one of Thrall's flaws is the handling of the Forsaken pre-Wrathgate. The plague wasn't a huge secret, after all. It was like he consciously decided to ignore it.

Garrosh acted like a little bitch in BC and was referred to as 'the impotent leader.' From this, you'd have thought if we saw him again he'd still be pathetic, but suddenly now he's like LOK'TAR OGAR! LET'S KILL SOME HUMANSSS! ..and it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Why? Because his father did? I fail to understand Garrosh's logic for wanting to kill him some humans. As far as I know, he has no justifiable reason for it, other than, y'know, Varian declaring war.

Yeah, Garrosh. Let's just rush into battle without thinking things through first. Good idea, moron.
    Last edited by Synaxis; 2010-07-10 at 01:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Izenhart View Post
    Rhonin may look like a mary sue just because of Knaak
    ...considering he's a Knaak character and all his appearences but one were in Knaak stories...I'd say that makes him a Mary Sue.

I don't know how you can say that Thrall has no flaws...he is the biggest sissy boy Nancy pants in Warcraft lore!

Garrosh is my Warchief, even now.

Quote Originally Posted by Eltrollo View Post
    why do people hate mary sue characters (characters who has no flaws) while hate on characters who are dynamic and add to the story line and can develope over time within the story
    so we hate everyone huh?

Thrall,Jiana....Rhonin(cause i had to say) all mary sue characters
    they have flaws, and by that i mean they are pussies.

Thrall will be my main example here. he is beloved by every one, but is a mary sue. he is perfect in every way and im glad hes gone as horde leader. he didnt add to the story and there was no more way for him to add to any of the plotlines.
    see, you are assuming here. i hate thrall, therefor you are already quite wrong.

Garrosh is hated by every 1 who is on the bangwagon. Varian is mainly just hated by the horde (and some alliance who want to be care bear story where every 1 holds hands and gets along and allows bs to happen like in jainas thereamore)
    again, assuming. i like garrosh. when you assume, you make an ass out of you and me.

what i want to know is

why hate garrosh he adds to the plot (unless ur alliance)
    why hate varian he adds to the plot (unless ur horde)
    b/c most people are tools. they dont like characters that want revenge. no idea why though, since they are some of my fav characters.
    i like that these 2 add conflict and war. thats the whole point of this game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry. Maybe it's just my opinion, but it seems to me that you hate all the characters that want peace. Know that, while I like Thrall and Jaina, I do like Varian and Garrosh.

Thrall and Jaina, by far, are not Mary Sues. They were major players in Warcraft lore and are still seen as icons by players.
    They too have their own flaws. Thrall, as said above, can lose himself to rage. There's the fight with Garrosh and the attack on Durnholde Keep to name a few. Jaina let's her emotions get in her way a lot of the time. The Halls of Reflection, anyone?
    As for why players like such characters? Simple, they are just likable in more ways than one. And wouldn't WoW get kind of boring if every single character was like Garrosh or Varian (or any other character for that matter)?
    "What kind of operating system does it use?"
    "It's...uh...Vista!"
    "WE'RE GOING TO DIE!"

varian has some depth to him, garrosh is...progressing. he apparently listened to what saurfang had to say and is taking dynamic character to a new level as we progress. where people complain garrosh went from a crybaby to overconfident to what we have in cata, that's blizzard trying to engineer a new dynamic character without having to pull a character we've already heard of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

WoW is not a very good medium for telling stories about character development. If you hadn't noticed, we tend to be told stories in terms of what has already occurred. The development we do see then is presented in snapshots. You can see this in Garrosh, who is one of the only characters to have significant development. He is a mopey little kid in TBC. Flash forward to WotLK and he's a raging war-monger. I suspect we will see at least one more in Cataclysm.

Varian is not dynamic. He has been pretty much one-dimensional since he was introduced.
    Your comments are duly noted and ignored.
    I punch a hobo every time someone says 'it's not a rotation it's a priority list lol'.

I like garrosh "let's get in that ass" approach to basically everything. I also like Grom more than Thrall in WC3 and wished he would have survived and let thrall die... That would def. put the WAR back in warcraft
    Always check links before clicking

Thrall has his flaws, I wouldn't call him a Mary Sue.

As for Garrosh... I hate him because he's stupid. I hate him because he can't plan anything more complex beyond "KILL ALL HUMANS." If it weren't for Saurfang telling him he needs seige the Horde would probably be sitting in Icecrown right now beating the citidel walls with axes.
    I hate him for his treatment of the non-orc Horde members. Kicks them all out of Orgrimar and acts like he doesn't need help from anyone else. Now I'm all for starting a war with the Alliance, but don't start a war at home too. Vol'jin, the Tauren, the Forsaken all have pleanty of reasons to be pissed with him and I'm sure its a matter of time until he does something to make the belfs mad. I hate Garrosh because he gives you ample reason to hate him, whether you be Horde or Alliance.

I'm all for dynamic characters, I'm all for putting the War back in Warcraft but a guy with an axe screaming about killing all the Allies all the time does not a good character make.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwtape View Post
    Varian is not dynamic. He has been pretty much one-dimensional since he was introduced.
    He's more dynamic than many at least.

He went from pursuing peace diplomatically with the Horde to believing that the only way any peace will be achieved is through the destruction of the Horde as an organization.

Garrosh isnt a good character because his character developement is way to jumpy. Thrall and Jaina are also not mary sues, Varian i like because he has reasons to hate the horde and we have seen some developement from him, the main difference is Varian's isnt jumpy, makes sense (he has reasons to), and isnt happening to fast. Garrosh' on the other hand is he starts out as a pussy and then all the sudden with no reason he becomes this orc shouting 'GAR! I Kill U!', and now he is an orc who is supposed to be honorable because he listened to what Saurfang said except for the fact it never showed he listened during wrath. Garrosh isnt a good character, it isnt because he hates humans its because he doesnt have a reason to.

We like Thrall because he's a good leader. He is a warchief, but also a diplomat when he needs to be. He has a brain. Of course he's also insanely powerful, but he shows amazing restraint. Could you imagine if he went Shaman on the alliance every time they raided Orgrimmar? Remember what happened in Undercity?

10+ Year Old Account
    Because Garrosh is mean and Varian is lame.
    "Being bad never felt so good!"

Deleted
    I don't know anything about Thrall except he looks cool, I played him in WC3 and he is not crazy or a whining baby like Garrosh "WOE IS ME THE GREATMOTHER IS DYING" Hellscream.