Leveling my Warrior

Whats better Prot or Arms
    Last edited by Ruinner; 2010-07-10 at 08:18 AM.

i read that thread, it doesnt address the Prot vs Arms point

Deleted
    I went prot from 10-70, then arms to 80. Then again, I had a pocket healer with me, so we had instant-queues for dungeons whenever we wanted.

Prot is really good for soloing 'cause your revenge will proc alot if you (and not anyone else) is attacked, and it is your most potent damage ability. It's also good for just running dungeons, especially if you have a healer with you that you can trust (AOE pulling is harder with a healer you're not familiar with).

Arms felt like the better choice for me at 70, because there were just a lot of casters in Northrend imo (revenge unusable) and I wanted to try out arms, which deals slightly higher damage than prot at that level.

Fury generally takes more damage than either spec since it kills mobs slower than the others (due to DW miss chance instead of the usual 1H/2H miss chance) and has worse survivability than prot, don't go fury until level 60, at all though.

TL;DR: Prot for being able to AOE pull while soloing, instant-queues and flag-carrying in WSG, arms later on for Bladestorm, and generally being better if you like to PVP every once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruinner View Post
    i read that thread, it doesnt address the Prot vs Arms point
    You mean you're too lazy to read and if it doesn't JUMP OUT AT YOU LIKE THIS then it's just not there?

Quote Originally Posted by Malorajan View Post
    You mean you're too lazy to read and if it doesn't JUMP OUT AT YOU LIKE THIS then it's just not there?
    Uh, no. It really doesn't address the differences between the two besides some dude's opinion.

Whats better Prot or Arms
    Based on what I have read currently and changes in Cata, go caster or go home!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nightowl55 View Post
    Based on what I have read currently and changes in Cata, go caster or go home!!!
    omg...the sky is falling, things couldn't get any worse, blizz is out to kill melee...warriors specifically and nightowl55 isn't possibly trolling every thread in this forum posting chicken little on purpose for some reason.

Seriously...you've trolled long enough to annoy me specifically without any reports...one might guess where this could lead if you continue. I'd take a posting break for the day.
    When you shoop da whoop, you feel powerful and don't want to lose it, and then a guy in plate armor comes and turns your woop against the shoop, hence, making you got laz0red.

Guild No Quarter - www.nqguild.org

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel its all about personal play style, but when I leveled my warrior I felt that arms was better as until 40 its not hard to tank randoms as arms just by throwing on some different gear. And then once you hit 40 you can duel spec anyway so you can do instances as prot and then the rest as arms.

I also tried out fury but for leveling it felt way too slow compared to arms and I really despised constantly missing all the time due to duel wielding as there is little to no hit on gear during the leveling process.

But again its all about personal preference so if you really enjoy the prot soloing experience then go for it, leveling is one thing that def doesnt need to be min/maxed anyway.

If I would level my warrior again, I would go prot at this moment.

Why?

Firstly, you gain an ungodly headstart for tanking as prot, as your queue's will be <1 minute.

Secondly, your levelling will not be worse than either arms or fury, but rather better and faster. Why? Well, we have Revenge and Improved Revenge. Revenge is a move that potentially one-shots mobs, add Thunder Clap and Cleave and you are an AoE killing machine with almost no downtime through use of Shield Block. This seriously helps out a ton with gathering quests, which are most of the quests.

And prot levelling gets better with every few levels as you gain Shield Slam, Devastate, Shockwave, and they all make you very frightening for mobs, and especially groups of mobs.

A good prot levelling guide isthis. Just follow the links at the end for the midlevel talents and high level talents.

Secondarily, you could go arms or fury, with arms being a proc like tree and fury a straightforward damage in your face like tree.

Do note, fury is a Dual Wield concentrated build, and with that comes a high % of white attacks missing. If you don't want to see that many misses go either prot or arms. But even with the high amount of misses, fury does the more damage singletarget than arms and equals prot's damage. But prot trumps all when there are more than 2 enemies.

I personally levelled my warrior as fury at the start of wow, but trust me, I would be prot if we had the same tools we have now back in vanilla.

Edit: Are you intending on getting heirlooms? If so, a fury warrior with dual Arcanite Reapers and heirloom head & chest will probably be equal to prot in regards to levelling speed as fury gets SO much better with good weapons and gear.
    Last edited by Pickwickman; 2010-07-10 at 09:34 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm currently levelling a second warrior (RP server ftw!) and my impression is that arms is the way to go until you get to level 51. I've tried both prot and fury, but it seems to me that arms is the spec that plows through quests the fastest. A lot of people mention imp revenge as prot, but my main beef with prot pre-dev is that you basically have tc, cleave and revenge in your toolbox. Sitting waiting for revenge to proc, at least for me, is boring. And what if it doesn't crit and oneshot your mob? You can hs, but you'll be low on rage. It's great for grinding melee mobs en masse, but throw casters and running humanoids into the mix and prot just seems cumbersome.

At the moment I'm 46, still running the warrior whirlwind axe, axe specced and glyphed MS and victory rush. Why victory rush? 30% crit is huge, combine it with warbringer and you can VR/MS mobs into oblivion amusingly often. I'll be dualspeccing prot once Devastate is available though, as that attack changes things dramatically.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wesneed View Post
    The Ashpole?

Uh, no. It really doesn't address the differences between the two besides some dude's opinion.
    Mainly because there is no correct answer in Wotlk. Prot gets instant dungeon queues and Arms is better for soloing more than likely.