15+ Year Old Account

Prot question about BV

In current ICC gear, ilvl264 and 277, is it possible to cap BV? Lets further assume you gem Str/Stam in all red sockets. Furthermore, what is the amount of Strength one would need to reach BV cap?

You'll notice I have done this in my current setup. I'm not overly concerned with stacking Stam in every slot(not a big deal with 25% buff), but i still do use hybrid stam gems. And since Strength is our 2nd best threat stat, I thought I would change some red gems around. My expertise is at 26(36 if you include SoV glyph), so I'm good there.

I feel like I am missing something. I know Strength is second threat stat, but I keep feeling that if I were to raise my hit, which I've also gemmed for a bit(it is a bit low, around 3%) that it would help me more.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rytoz/advanced

If there's one thing I'm not, it's in control.

i assume this is with raid buff, are you including redoubt and holy shield, the problem with trying to cap BV is believe it shares an avoidance cap with the other spells without abilities on.

i believe the avoidance cap is 75% so it also scales with your dodge rating and parry rating, i don't know if the reduce in dodge in icc effects your avoidance cap or not, as i couldn't answer.

Assuming it doesn't with a 5% base in block dodge and parry, the most block you could ever hope to get is 65% and then you gotta add in defense and talents like defection and buffs. So the highest possible cap i believe would be 65% with only 400 defense and no stats in other avoidance talents.

70% block rating assuming the debuff in icc reduces your dodge so it doesn't effect avoidance cap.

but of course these numbers are impossible if you got gear, are d-capped and are talented correctly.
    I'm glad to have multiple personalities, if i didn't i would be talking to myself, and that's just insane.

I am not sure I understand the reason for the question. Are you looking to produce more threat, damage, both or just looking for some extra damage reduction?

Unless threat is an issue I don't think I would ever give up stam for threat. Although extra health may not be NEEDed it makes your healers job a bit less stressful as well as your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Borigrad View Post
    i assume this is with raid buff, are you including redoubt and holy shield, the problem with trying to cap BV is believe it shares an avoidance cap with the other spells without abilities on.

i believe the avoidance cap is 75% so it also scales with your dodge rating and parry rating, i don't know if the reduce in dodge in icc effects your avoidance cap or not, as i couldn't answer.

Assuming it doesn't with a 5% base in block dodge and parry, the most block you could ever hope to get is 65% and then you gotta add in defense and talents like defection and buffs. So the highest possible cap i believe would be 65% with only 400 defense and no stats in other avoidance talents.

70% block rating assuming the debuff in icc reduces your dodge so it doesn't effect avoidance cap.

but of course these numbers are impossible if you got gear, are d-capped and are talented correctly.
    You completely missed the boat. He was talking about capping his shield block value. The question had absolutely nothing to do with shield block rating or block chance. Reading is hard, I know.

Win7(64)Pro - Intel 3770K @ 4.5GHz - 4x4GB DDR3 G Skill Ripjaws X - XFX Radeon HD 7970 - Samsung EVO 500GB SSD

15+ Year Old Account
    @ Borigrad...I was looking for a Strength number, not percentages and such, but thank you for the info.

@HollerTH...It is essentially a threat question. Threat isnt a real problem, but neither is HP. If I find my healers are slacking or having trouble keeping me up with a few hundred less health, I can just throw the stam gems back in and carry on. But it mainly has to do with threat, and slightly has to do with I like things to look pretty and matching sockets(even if not the 'best' thing) is something I like. But I dont like to match sockets if I'm not getting anything out of it. its not like I'm putting pure agi or sp or arp. Str/Stam is a legitimate gem. Your response is often what is given when these questions arise, but it isn't really the answer i was looking for, even if it is a truthful answer.

@ Prentice..go to bed, its way too late to be up

Quote Originally Posted by Prentice View Post
    You completely missed the boat. He was talking about capping his shield block value. The question had absolutely nothing to do with shield block rating or block chance. Reading is hard, I know.
    and yet you've added nothing again prentice, why am i not surprised.

so yeah perhaps i mis-read it, but are you so low that you actually provided another useless post to bash me...?

and you call me a troll.

Edit: it's 1 block per 2 strength, the block value cap is level(x30) so currently 80*30=2400 and it suffer's diminishing returns.
    Last edited by Borigrad; 2010-07-10 at 08:53 AM.
    I'm glad to have multiple personalities, if i didn't i would be talking to myself, and that's just insane.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Borigrad View Post
    and you call me a troll.
    Truth can be harsh. Thats why we have The Sims mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurytos View Post
    @ Borigrad...I was looking for a Strength number, not percentages and such, but thank you for the info.

@HollerTH...It is essentially a threat question. Threat isnt a real problem, but neither is HP. If I find my healers are slacking or having trouble keeping me up with a few hundred less health, I can just throw the stam gems back in and carry on. But it mainly has to do with threat, and slightly has to do with I like things to look pretty and matching sockets(even if not the 'best' thing) is something I like. But I dont like to match sockets if I'm not getting anything out of it. its not like I'm putting pure agi or sp or arp. Str/Stam is a legitimate gem. Your response is often what is given when these questions arise, but it isn't really the answer i was looking for, even if it is a truthful answer.

@ Prentice..go to bed, its way too late to be up
    If you are never near death I would go with extra str gems or hybrids. Extra threat and damage makes fights go faster which does mean less healing. If there is near 0% chance of death with the loss of stam it would seem that str would be a better stat.

Isn't gemming for Agil/Stam better for Protadins as it gives more Threat (CRIT) and more Survivability(ARMOR+DODGE) then gemming STR/STAM which gives a little more threat, and block value? And i thought block value wasn't an awesome stat as more armor/dodge.

Atleast thats what I thought.

You can't cap BV as a defensive stats. The max block value I ever head on my prot pally was about 5200, with full BV gear and BV trinkets used, while tanking Anub HM. And ofc it can go higher as well.

The only thing u can cap regarding BV, is the damage you do with Shield of Righteousness. As far as I know, the max BV that is calculated when doing dmg with it, is about 3000. So, either if you have 3000 BV or 5000 BV, you will pretty much hit for the same ammount of damage using that ability, but you would still block for 5000.

15+ Year Old Account
    The dmg/threat component is what I was wondering about capping.

Thx for the input.

Deleted
    block chance is not subjekted to any cap borigrad this is why block tanks were used for anub HM to have a passive 101,something% chance to avoid at all times by stacking blockrating.
    block value cant realy be capped since it removes a certain amount of the hit wich means the cap depends on how hard the boss/mob hits as the cap would be a 100%absorbed hit with block there is a cap for shield of rigtheoussness damage though wich might be what the op was refering to and that im not sure about what it is but its not realy wort trying to cap the damage of it anyway.
    quote from a tankspot treadh on the damage cap http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...ishing-Returns
    "[blizzard]The benefit from additional block value this ability gains is now subject to diminishing returns. Diminishing returns occur once block value exceeds 30 times the player’s level and caps the maximum damage benefit from shield block value at 34.5 times the player’s level.[/blizzard]"