Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard has nothing to worry about, Cataclysm is shaping up to be a defining expansion pack to make most MMORPG's jealous of. There is already an insane amount of new content and the quality is through the roof on most of it. The things I've experienced with phasing are actually pushing WoW into being able of delivering great story lines that other MMO's simply cannot due to 'static' restraints of their game worlds.

At this stage, everyone is freaking out and hyping up The Old Republic and Guild Wars 2 based on developer promises. Age of Conan and Warhammer Online both had a gigantic hype train and suffered from an overabundance of promises that the developers never kept. Age of Conan is finally just now recovering, Warhammer on the other hand is still suffering from "It will be awesome, but it will be implemented so terribly poor so it will really suck" syndrome.

Cataclysm is putting a massive effort into overhauling the new user experience, there will undoubtedly be an enormous increase in new player retention that the current game does not have. In all likelihood, I would not be surprised to see WoW surpass the 10 million mark again. Cataclysm is re-inventing WoW, it's not just another content expansion like Wrath of the Lich King felt.

I cannot understand what is up with all the negative hate towards Cataclysm, but I do understand most of it is coming from the same people that have repeatedly hyped up other games that haven't been successful.

As a last comment, SW:TOR caused a massive blow to myself and a few others I know that were passionately craving it when we saw they are trying to mimic the tank+healer+dps group synergy common to all MMORPG's. It was supposed to be an epic story driven multiplayer star wars game, hopefully similar to the other old republic games. I believe in the developers, but at the moment I already am not excited for a star wars game based on tank/heals/dps roles. Their healing role looked horrendously implemented.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotov View Post
    Bioware makes quality games, and the footage from SW:ToR at the moment makes the game seem very promising. I'm not saying SW:ToR will kill WoW but SW:ToR and WoW will be in close competition to be "#1" MMO. I intend to play both WoW and SW:ToR.
    SW:ToR looks like its going to be good . It's going to be hard for them to get 13+M to be #1 tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Travisk View Post
    SW:TOR may be a small competition, but the sheer size of WoW will prevail.
    the O N L Y reason wow prevails is because it started so many people playing MMO's and they are afraid / dont know about other MMO's .. SWTOR is going to me whole new Creature .. a FULLY voiced MMO made by Bioware / Lucas Arts based on one of the best movie series ever made .. ya

10+ Year Old Account
    i was kind of excited for star wars then i saw some game footage and i was like noooooo

Quote Originally Posted by Knighthonor View Post
    Games like Guild Wars 2 and SWTOR seem to be raging with hype now days.
    Isn't that true for pretty much every new MMORPG? ZOMG, Vanguard, Conan, Warhammer, Aion, etc etc are gonna kill WOW!!!

WOW will continue to improve, regardless of what the current overhyped, unreleased MMO's are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Omen321 View Post
    the O N L Y reason wow prevails is because it started so many people playing MMO's and they are afraid / dont know about other MMO's .. SWTOR is going to me whole new Creature .. a FULLY voiced MMO made by Bioware / Lucas Arts based on one of the best movie series ever made .. ya
    The voice part scares me off. It's one of the things I dislike most about Dragon Age/Mass Effect. It's no fun when you are trying to listen to music, talk, etc and you completely miss what was said and have no idea what you are saying "yes" to. :/ And either way, SW:ToR is far to different from WoW to be that much of a threat in my opinion.

Final Fantasy 14 and Vindictus are two MMO's that look quite promising, and will hopefully not let me down!
    There are so many frivolous things in this world.

I'm not terribly interested in SW:ToR. I don't think that going through 20 minutes of dialog to pick up a quest to kill 10 sand people is going to be much fun.

I do hope that it absolutely perfect and amazing when it comes out. Would be nice for all of the people that claim to hate WoW yet still play it to leave the servers for those of us that still actually enjoy it.

Smile

Literally there is no competition.

I was ecstatoc when TOR was announced. So far nothing with it has made me consider leaving WoW other than it being star wars.

Aion's expansion looks incredible. Still too grindy for me though.

I think Warhammer 40k Dark Millenium looks like a game that would truly contend with WoW if switching MMO's wasn't so hard for players (all that time invested!). But it is a long ways off.

Quote Originally Posted by feigning View Post
    The voice part scares me off. It's one of the things I dislike most about Dragon Age/Mass Effect. It's no fun when you are trying to listen to music, talk, etc and you completely miss what was said and have no idea what you are saying "yes" to. :/ And either way, SW:ToR is far to different from WoW to be that much of a threat in my opinion.

Final Fantasy 14 and Vindictus are two MMO's that look quite promising, and will hopefully not let me down!
    FF14 looks like shit imo .. Vindictus looks A W S O M E .. but to all the people who say its a diffrent type of game .. its an MMO .. most people who are serios into MMO's will play any kind of MMO as long as it good .. not just because its a fantasy or sci-fi

This is nonsense. I started playing MMO's in 1999, and so did many of my friends. WOW's success has nothing to do with it being most peoples first MMO, it's because it's higher quality by far than anything else on the market. And full voiceovers on everything might be overwhelmingly awesome... for about 5 minutes. Shit like that has a cool factor that doesn't last. EQ2 had a lot of voiceover on NPC's at launch, like I said, was cool for a few minutes but has no lasting appeal.

Listening to everything might become a pain especially if there are alot of cutscenes.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    ok i have some things to say, blizzard was never bought out by activision, it is partnered, something different all together
    guild wars failed in that there was no real equipment upgrade and was had to acualy be with your guild
    star wars galaxy failed yes, but bioware didnt make that

I hope to the Titans that you are not including the prequels. Honestly, I doubt that it will fully live up to its hype. And the degree of class diversity in the game is questionable, especially considering that Star Wars games are heavily dominated by people who just want to play jedi.

15+ Year Old Account
    FF14 looks like shit imo .. Vindictus looks A W S O M E .. but to all the people who say its a diffrent type of game .. its an MMO .. most people who are serios into MMO's will play any kind of MMO as long as it good .. not just because its a fantasy or sci-fi
    Vindictus does look fun, but I don't see much depth to it. I am a sucker for fast paced hack and slash games (I love Ninja Gaiden and what not) but, when considering what a MMO needs to be successful, not seeing much longevity in it.

Full voice acting was something Everquest 2 strived for, they fell short of that goal. I don't know where this "First MMO to be fully voiced" came from, but EQ2 tried to do it, before TOR ever did :P

I honestly feel they could spend more development time and money in other area's aside from voice acting, but it undoubtedly could end up great.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalamosh View Post
    ok i have some things to say, blizzard was never bought out by activision, it is partnered, something different all together
    guild wars failed in that there was no real equipment upgrade and was had to acualy be with your guild
    star wars galaxy failed yes, but bioware didnt make that
    star wars galaxies failed after about 2 or 3 years of being an awsome game .. just saying

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    star wars galaxies failed after about 2 or 3 years of being an awsome game .. just saying
    my cousin played with the original content, while i watched, it sucked balls, so much potential and they fucked it. loved the crafting system though

All of this talk about "failed" MMOs and no one has mentioned the best of the bunch; Lord of the Rings Online. WoW stands to lose about 30 subs this fall when LotRO goes F2P.

If they were just releasing another content expansion with a new place to explore and nothing really new... I think they'd be in trouble.

Judging on what I've seen so far from videos etc, this expansion really is like World of Warcraft 2. Even the questing feels like a different game with mechanics you never though you'd see in WoW.

80 Kingslayer Shadow Priest - Spirestone
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...e&n=Direshadow

SW:ToR isn't overly based off the movies, or the original KotOR games (besides being only a hundred years or so apart lore wise.) I think Bioware has done a decent job at making Jedi/Sith not omgwtfbbqpwnsauce compared to the other classes. the Cata release date of 2010 does make it seem like it might be rushed but who knows how long they've been at this.

I know we don't actively think about it much (and probably deny it to ourselves) but a big part of the reason we're all still here is because of how much time (and other things) we've invested in WoW. I have dabbled in other MMO's but always come back because I have five years in this game. Most relationships that don't end up in a lifelong commitment don't last that long.

I personally play WoW because of that sole reason. I am not terribly imrpessed in how the game evolved. Sure it's a great game with a lot of features and Blizzard implements something new every once in a while to keep interest up. But so are some of the others that have come out. Aion's expansion (it's first) is I think is a "better" expansion than Cataclysm. The changes in Cataclysm are huge but what really do they add to the game? They change it a ton (especially the leveling experience) but the graphics overhaul is very minor, the plots are fairly predictable if you keep up with the lore outside of the game.

WoW will always be that 800 pound gorilla until Blizzard cancels it due to the fact that MMO's are more than a game. They're an investment with real personal attachment.