When patch 4.0 comes...

Blizzard already stated that everyone would experience the cataclysm whether you buy the expansion or not correct? So, I'm just going to assume that along with everyone experiencing the cataclysm that all the revamped 1-60 quests come along with it. So, if that is the case.. what are we exactly going to be paying for then besides the ability to use two new races + questing at level 80-85. Also, if you don't buy the expansion right away... would you be able to travel into the new zones that are actually connected to Eastern Kingdoms/Kalimdor like Uldum, Hyjal and the Twilight Highlands? I can understand being barred access into the elemental planes and such. If you can't go in them then how do they plan on working that in? Make it have a portal similar to the Eastern Plaguelands/Ghostlands border?

Just random thoughts...

There will be 15 foot tall kittens blocking the zone enterances.

On a serious note, you will probably be able to enter but not do any of the quests.
    Who is Chris Metzen? He is supposed to be Turkish. Some say his father was German. Nobody believed he was real. Nobody ever saw him or knew anybody that ever worked directly for him, but to hear Zarhym tell it, anybody could have worked for Metzen. You never knew. That was his power. The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that... poof! He's gone.

The new Race / Class combination are Cataclysm-only if I remember right, but I may have heard wrong. Archaeology is supposed to be Cataclysm only too.

But yeah, there's not much beyond that, and I dunno how they plan to keep people out of the new zones. I don't think there's any way they can without it looking like a hackjob.
    - Renowned expert in the field of Paladinery -
    - & Author of -
    The Highly Acclaimed "Reinvention" Threads
    North Lordaeron - Stratholme
    - Angor Coast-

Deleted
    i think that a vanilla acc. can still access the level 80-85 areas.. however, they will die in there? so whats the point.. also they cant level up there. no quests, and too low level to do anything.

You're paying for 5 new levels, numerous new dungeons/raids, more lore(the level 80-85 stuff) and 2 more races. (and im not sure but the new class combinations are cataclysm ppl only?)

vanilla players actually pay for the content too through their monthly fee?
    personally i think its about time they gave something to the few who havnt upgraded.

and how would you give the cataclysm and old world revamp to cataclysms only? :P you'd cut off people without it

They keep people out of hyjal with the no mans land debuff they could probably change it to just accounts not flagged for Cata

15+ Year Old Account
    As always, we are buying the abillity to progress. You cannot get to level 85 without it, you cannot raid, you cannot do anything. If your leveling 1-60, you wont need it, this is no change. 60-70, buy tbc, still dont need it. 70-80, buy lk, still dont need it, but from there, you need it to progress

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't see a reason why they wouldn't put up zoning portals like with the TBC expansion for Blood Elf place and Draenai place. And without the Expansion you won't be able to level past your current expansion max level, you can't take any of the proffession past the max limit of your expansion (yes, you read it right you can take Archaeology without expansion to your expansion's proff limit), you won't be able to enter dungeons/raid that didn't already exist in your current expansion

Things you can do without buying the expansion I would believe is get hold of BoE items from the new expansion, though since most of those would be above your level I don't see the point so I'd say only vanity items.

Have a ground-based portal that will block access for people without Cata, and only allow flying for people with Cata would be my guess. Whether its an actual portal (like to Ghostlands) or just an invisible wall will depend on Blizzard's mood.

If I had to guess, I bet there'll be something to do with phasing (i.e. you can enter Hyjal, but there will be no mobs/npcs). That makes the most sense to me, and will avoid ugly instance portals blocking off zones.

wouldn't a portal kind of kill the point of open world flying ...?
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

its pretty simple. with just vanilla wow you will see 1 - 60 stuff only. yes, it will be revamped, but thats it. no outland, no northrend.

edit: no you cannot go to the new areas.

I heard phasing is a good thing...

10+ Year Old Account
    No need to phase or block it off. You can get to Northrend with a brand new character from taking the boat/zep, you just get insta-murdered. Yea, that'll show 'em.

If you ask me, then the they will probably not make it an instance portal, since the, how can you fly over it?

My guess is that all the new class combos and races will be unavailable.

Yes, you will expirence the cataclysm in 1-60, and all new quests even if you dont buy the expansion, which is fine, or else they would have to phase vanilla from cataclysm. I just think the new zones will "teleport" you out if you try and go into them, because looking at the maps, most zones will have very few entrances, so it wont be too difficult.

The other thing they could do would be to simply phase the entrances so lets say, the big broken gate down in Tanaris is the entrance to Uldum, that would be open for people with the expansion, but will remain closed for people without it, and I suppose its one of those two things they will add.

But, if you only want to quest from 1-80, then don't buy the expansion pack, I'm a raider, and I want to raid new content, and I wont be able to unless I get Cataclysm, and I wont be able to expirence all the new zones, which I'm looking forward to since I enjoy playing alts aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by ViolentWords View Post
    Blizzard already stated that everyone would experience the cataclysm whether you buy the expansion or not correct? So, I'm just going to assume that along with everyone experiencing the cataclysm that all the revamped 1-60 quests come along with it. So, if that is the case.. what are we exactly going to be paying for then besides the ability to use two new races + questing at level 80-85. Also, if you don't buy the expansion right away... would you be able to travel into the new zones that are actually connected to Eastern Kingdoms/Kalimdor like Uldum, Hyjal and the Twilight Highlands? I can understand being barred access into the elemental planes and such. If you can't go in them then how do they plan on working that in? Make it have a portal similar to the Eastern Plaguelands/Ghostlands border?

Just random thoughts...
    Just buy the Damn game and stop being cheap...