Thread: This is a first

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

This is a first

So i took a break from WoW for a bit and just got back on yesterday. I was getting ready to do a PUG ICC10 and was kicked because of the gem choices I choose for my gear. Ive been raiding endgame since Vanilla and Ive always thought I had a good grasp of how to play my class (priest). I wont lie though I am wondering if maybe im doing something wrong. Ive never had a problem healing in any of the content in WotLK (never done RS though) Im always open to suggestions so if anyone has any constructive advice Id love to hear it.

Heres my armory
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...ther&cn=Zenaru
    60 Priest - Sinfel https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch...eldorei/sinfel
    60 Mage - Redrayn https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch...ldorei/redrayn

I used to have a cool signature, but now its limited it 6 lines and that has my boobs all twisted with anger!

could be your gemming sp/mp5 when mp5 is terrible for a priest. You want sp/spirit. Idk how priests gem cause idc for em really, but i know they should NOT gem mp5.

I'm not very knowledgeable about priests, but I think MP5 is actually slightly better for disc than spirit. Spirit is much better than MP5 for Holy because they get, I believe, spell power from it as well, but disc gets more mana regen from MP5.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Drop all the green gems, use red orange or purple imo.

use the 50 sp/ 20 spirit leg enchant too..

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait, wait. Someone ACTUALLY took the time to inspect you? inb4 GS>skill.

On topic: Your gemming is bad. Really bad. Holy and disc need different stats so you can't really gem and gear for them in the same way.

As a general rule:
    - For holy, you want to be gemming +SP in red sockets, +SP/+haste in yellow sockets until soft haste cap, and +SP/+spirit in blue sockets.
    - For disc, you want to be gemming +SP in red/blue sockets, +SP/+haste in yellow sockets until soft haste cap, with a +SP/+MP5 gem in your highest socket bonus blue socket to activate your meta.
    Quote Originally Posted by BattlemasterSkarab View Post
    GOD's ARMAGEDDON and DOOM'S DAY!!!!!!.... Imagine that...
    4 apocalyptic horsemen
    Sky turned red
    Sun turned black
    All WoW servers down

@Zenny, I just finished typing a post on gemming a minute ago so I'm cheating and just pasting it here. It's really oriented at disc, but touches on the holy optimals as well. If your main spec is holy, basically go SP in red, SP/Haste in yellow, and SP/Spirit in blue, with IED meta...

In either event, your gemming does look a bit haphazard to be honest. If meeting blue sockets, you should be uniform in doing so with the same element -- either spirit or MP5 -- and not mixing the two. Also, crit has extremely low value to socket for any of the three priest specs.

For disc...

Red: 23 SP, pure and simple. Unlike other specs that, due to the ICC buff, have begun valuing haste over SP to get out more heals since the ones they're casting are in effect strong enough, Disc can never have too much SP.

Blue: If you choose to match a blue socket, you'll want to use SP/MP5 as disc. If you spend a fair amount of time as holy or shadow and use the same item, go SP/Spirit -- it's only a slight loss to disc but a nice boost to either off-spec. If your gear really lets you manage w/ no mana issues, go pure SP with the exception of one SP/MP5 or SP/Spirit gem to meet the IED meta requirement until you're able to step up to the ESD.

Yellow: For a disc priest, this should either be 23 SP or 10 Int/12 SP. Haste is far less valuable to us than spellpower, so is not an option you'll want to consider unless you spend a good amount of time, again, as holy or shadow with that piece of gear. The sole exception is if you're assigned as a primary tank healer, in which case haste becomes quite valuable, but it is very easy to build up plenty of haste without ever socketing for it. There is never a time where SP/Crit outweighs the throughput of a pure SP gem. Start with SP/Int gems for disc until you no longer are having mana issues, then gradually replace them all with pure SP.

Meta: If you spend time also as holy, go with and stay with IED. If you want to maximize your disc set, stay with IED until such time as you're comfortable enough with your mana longevity to socketing 23 in every slot, and then go to ESD. At that point you should be able to adjust to fights that demand more regen by simply switching in regen-oriented trinkets in place of throughput trinkets.

On a side note, Nightmare Tears should not be used by disc priests. They just don't give us the value we need from them. If we're still using IED, a SP/MP5 gem far outperforms NT to meet that demand.

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    (US #1 2-night guild WoD)
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

10+ Year Old Account
    Haha i guess I didnt know as much about my class as I thought =P

Appreciate the advice everyone. I'll start getting my gear regemmed, looking forward towards seeing if theres any big changes on how my character heals.

I used to have a cool signature, but now its limited it 6 lines and that has my boobs all twisted with anger!

15+ Year Old Account
    I am knowledgable about priests. As discipline, your gem selections are awful. As holy, they're less awful, but still not very good.

1. Discipline rates spirit as it's lowest statistical priority. If you have a blue socket on a piece of gear, plop a 23 SP gem in it. BLues are to disc what blues are to, say, hunters and rogues and the like. Awful.

2. Unless you're having mana issues, don't gem intellect. If you are, as holy gem 10 intellect/10 spirit for pure regen purposes. If you are, as discipline gem 12 spellpower/10 intellect. If you aren't, gem 12 spellpower/10 spirit in blues as holy, 12 spellpower/10 haste as holy for yellows, 23 spellpower for blues as discipline, and 12 spellpower/10 crit as discipline for yellows (some argue haste, but with BT you reach haste cap on Flash Heal much easier than other healing classes).

3. If you're not having mana issues, as discipline or as holy I would look at a different meta. You can go with 25 spellpower.3% intellect (for added crit) OR 11 mp5/3% increased critical heal effect. This will require some throughput testing to determine which one best suits you, there's not relaly a "right" or "wrong" of these three options. BUT the two I named both only require two reds for activation, making them much friendlier for disc gearing.

You'll also want to possibly consider changing your leggings enchant for holy purposes. Spirit trumps stamina.

As an additional question, is your disc build a GH build? If so, you need a bit more haste to support it. If not, Armory me for a look at a FH-based disc build.

-Fenixdown
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslick View Post
    Yellow: For a disc priest, this should either be 23 SP or 10 Int/12 SP. Haste is far less valuable to us than spellpower, so is not an option you'll want to consider unless you spend a good amount of time, again, as holy or shadow with that piece of gear.
    I strongly disagree with this statement. The haste soft-cap - while low for disc - is still essential to reach as a raiding disc priest. Intellect does nothing for a disc priest past a certain point, it is worthless to stack. If you have a yellow socket but don't need the haste, socket straight SP. The bigger your shields, the better.
    Quote Originally Posted by BattlemasterSkarab View Post
    GOD's ARMAGEDDON and DOOM'S DAY!!!!!!.... Imagine that...
    4 apocalyptic horsemen
    Sky turned red
    Sun turned black
    All WoW servers down

Quote Originally Posted by Zennyo View Post
    I'll start getting my gear regemmed, looking forward towards seeing if theres any big changes on how my character heals.
    If you are primarily disc and if I were in your gear, I would probably replace all gems with 23 SP except the helm socket where I'd use a SP/MP5 gem to trigger IED. You really shouldn't be having any mana issues at this point that way -- but hold off upgrading meta to IED. Also, Talisman is nice for a little extra longevity but aim to get a throughput trinket. While you're at it, replace the helm glyph with the SP/Crit one from the Kirin'tor, and the spirit enchant on your boots with Tuskarr's Vitality. The speed boost is immensely valuable.

---------- Post added 2010-07-12 at 12:43 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm View Post
    I strongly disagree with this statement. The haste soft-cap - while low for disc - is still essential to reach as a raiding disc priest. Intellect does nothing for a disc priest past a certain point, it is worthless to stack. If you have a yellow socket but don't need the haste, socket straight SP. The bigger your shields, the better.
    It's evident you didn't read my post, but rather cherry-picked a fragment of it. I explicitly said that the goal is to get to 23 SP gems in every slot, eliminating other gems as mana becomes less necessary to voluntarily itemize towards, and to end it by using ESD as meta.

As to the haste soft-cap... If you don't have the 150'ish haste from your gear to hit the soft-cap, you're still barely in Naxx gear. You should not have to gem to get there.

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

10+ Year Old Account
    Im gonna go with your advice an gem straight SP Bigslick. Granted your gear is alot better then mine but Id like to test it myself and see how it goes. Ive never actually given that approach much thought in terms of how I gem my gear (though I guess my previous thoughts were bad haha.)

As for the trinket, yeah Id like to get rid of it Im just getting the last few frost badges for the Purfied Lunar Dust trinket. I'll grab the new glyphs/ enchant for my helm and boots.

Appreciate the great information

Hold off on the trinket until after you've finished your 4pc (get the helm next). That 5% flat bonus to your shields is worth far more than the 179 SP that PLD will deliver, and well worth giving up the 2pc T9 bonus -- especially for disc.

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

10+ Year Old Account
    23 Sp for red.
    12 sp 5 mp5 for blue, only for +7 sp bonus.
    12 sp 10 int for yellow.
    Have a nice day.
    This is disc gemming btw.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    23 Sp for red.
    12 sp 5 mp5 for blue, only for +7 sp bonus.
    12 sp 10 int for yellow.
    Have a nice day.
    This is disc gemming btw only when you're at a point when you still need to gem for regen, and even then ignore the bit about gemming any MP5 just to get socket bonuses as it's never the best means towards that end.
    Fixed. Disc gemming evolves.

/sigh

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

15+ Year Old Account
    I personally disagree with gemming intellect in any form as discipline, unless you require mana boosting. I've focused my gemming far more towards crit. It's worked quite well for ICC thusfar, especially in Lich King 10 (crit bubbles for healing + no damage from Infest = ).

I do agree, however, with not even bothering with blue sockets. That is also why I suggest a different meta gem, the two I named previously both have activation costs of two red gems, and obth of which have benefit to discipline.

I am still curious about your spec, and if you are trying for a GH disc build. If that is the case, you actually will need more haste than a standard disc build. Your spec actually changes some of your gemming priority. I am surprised nobody else has noticed this yet.

Lose the green gems, straight away, right now!

Bubbles can't crit btw Fenix, its the heal from the glyph. And for fights you are mana boosting (LK normal for example), using int trinkets are far better then gemming for the 1 fight, unless you are either 1) stuck for progression, or 2) never attempting hardmodes and LK is the hardest you try.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yes, I know the bubble doesn't crit. The heal still does, though, which never hurts. Perhaps I could have worded that a bit clearer.

I do agree with the trinket swap, however. As I said, I am personally opposed to intellect gemming as discipline, unless you just really need regen stats. I've been gemming for spellpower and crit, I rather like that setup.

Like Bigslick said, once you're in predominantly ICC gear then you are easily at a point where the only fight that's going to push stretch your mana bar is Lich King. Socket 23sp in every slot, and Ember Skyflare Diamond. For LK, sub one of your trinkets Talisman of Resurgence and demand some innervates

Need less threads about this =/

Bubbles can't crit btw Fenix, its the heal from the glyph. And for fights you are mana boosting (LK normal for example), using int trinkets are far better then gemming for the 1 fight, unless you are either 1) stuck for progression, or 2) never attempting hardmodes and LK is the hardest you try.
    Using int trinkets ? lol

Best trinkets to use for regen are both solaces AND they actually give you some of your primary stat, sp.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmah View Post
    Best trinkets to use for regen are both solaces AND they actually give you some of your primary stat, sp.
    Actually if you're GCD spamming shields, Spark of Hope is far and away best for regen -- but yeah, it gimps your SP. Solaces rock, if you can get them, for fights testing mana being near BIS for regen and still quite strong for throughput.

But for fights like LK / H LK if you are struggling with mana and either can't have or don't want to be dependent on innervates, just find the appropriate downrank for PWS to swim in rapture refunds.

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic