Need help - Adjusting Spec and gems

So this is like my 5th alt or something at 80. I originally transferred my holy paladin over to a different server, things didn't work out with the guild, etc so I was mostly playing alts on my older server. I picked up a couple nights with my old guild on my hunter and acquired some new gear (they needed the people and my hunter was probably the best geared). The other night I received approximately 3-4 new pieces and not sure what to gem. I feel I don't have the gear slash trinkets to go ArP Marks, though if I picked up NES I might be able to pull it off.

I'm also wanting to adjust my spec/glyphs to pick up Imp Hunter's Mark since there are usually 3 of us in the raids now and none of us have it.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...mscale&cn=Vong is my armory so you can check the gear.

Also, I know the War Totem is bad, but it was the best choice at the time, IIRC.

www.femaledwarf.com - Read it, learn it, use it, love it.

You can load you character there, add whatever gems you want, change your spec as much as you like etc and see what effect that will have on your DPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalti View Post
    www.femaledwarf.com - Read it, learn it, use it, love it.

You can load you character there, add whatever gems you want, change your spec as much as you like etc and see what effect that will have on your DPS.
    I was using it earlier, but it wasn't exactly helping me. I thought I'd looked at the Marks thread earlier but I was either mistaken or forgot some of the info that was in there. I changed my spec and a glyph up to get Imp Mark + the glyph since there are 2 other hunters in the raid usually.

How wasnt it helping u? u can input anything u want in their and it'll simulate ur dps.

Edit: sorry i dont mean sound to be rude. Are u looking for help on gearing for DPS or u only really care about Hunters Mark and its glyph
    Last edited by Gps; 2010-07-13 at 04:55 AM.

I'm not too sure what you're asking here. Are you asking if you should gem ArP? The answer is no, if you are.

If you're asking for general advice:

1) Change the gem in your gloves. It should be a Deadly Ametrine.
    2) Two deadly ametrines in your boots. (I think..armoury isn't showing me the socket bonus but if I recall correctly it's either 4 or 6 agil.)
    3) Eternal Belt Buckle + Delicate Cardinal Ruby in your belt.
    4) Wow your cape is bad lol. You purchased HWT over the frost emblem cape? Terrible decision, really. The frost emblem cape should be your next priority, definately.
    5) Take the Nightmare Tear out of your helm and put a Deadly Ametrine instead. Put the Nightmare Tear in the blue socket of Distant Land, instead.
    6) Two Delicate Cardinal Rubies in your shoulders.
    7) Wow..you replaced Glyph of Serpent Sting. Probably one of the worst things you can ever do as an MM hunter. Re-glyph Serpent Sting ASAP. If you REALLY want glyph of Hunters Mark, un-glyph Glyph of Kill Shot for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gps View Post
    How wasnt it helping u? u can input anything u want in their and it'll simulate ur dps.

Edit: sorry i dont mean sound to be rude. Are u looking for help on gearing for DPS or u only really care about Hunters Mark and its glyph
    Essentially I just hadn't played with it or looked it very in-depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob002 View Post
    Essentially I just hadn't played with it or looked it very in-depth.
    haha, the 1st time i used femaledwarf i was rather lost myself but after messing around with it for a few mins, it was rather easy to use. If u dont feel like taking the time to use it, i'd just copy whatever the hunters in ur guild are doing. Just change ur spec so u can get imp hunters mark.

Serpent Sting glyph is probably the best glyph for MM hunters. Like Toas said, remove ur Kill Shot glyph instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Toas View Post
    I'm not too sure what you're asking here. Are you asking if you should gem ArP? The answer is no, if you are.

If you're asking for general advice:

1) Change the gem in your gloves. It should be a Deadly Ametrine.
    2) Two deadly ametrines in your boots. (I think..armoury isn't showing me the socket bonus but if I recall correctly it's either 4 or 6 agil.)
    3) Eternal Belt Buckle + Delicate Cardinal Ruby in your belt.
    4) Wow your cape is bad lol. You purchased HWT over the frost emblem cape? Terrible decision, really. The frost emblem cape should be your next priority, definately.
    5) Take the Nightmare Tear out of your helm and put a Deadly Ametrine instead. Put the Nightmare Tear in the blue socket of Distant Land, instead.
    6) Two Delicate Cardinal Rubies in your shoulders.
    7) Wow..you replaced Glyph of Serpent Sting. Probably one of the worst things you can ever do as an MM hunter. Re-glyph Serpent Sting ASAP. If you REALLY want glyph of Hunters Mark, un-glyph Glyph of Kill Shot for it.
    You basically answered both; it was a combination of whether I should start gemming ArP (which I was pretty sure was a no) and which other gems I should use.

To answer the rest:
    1. I'm waiting on this because I'm going for the gloves next for 2pc T10.
    2. I think the Hunter FAQ advises against doing 2 Deadly Ametrine in a slot, but I'll double check to be sure.
    3. I know, I keep forgetting; the other day when I looked there were no belt buckles and it's been out of sight, out of mind.
    4. I know it is. Again, out of sight, out of mind. At the time, I think that the War Totem was a bigger upgrade overall. I'm also hoping a cape drops in ICC.
    5. I'm hold off on this as I'm waiting on Heroic Distant Land. Will do this once I get it.
    6. Noted.
    7. See, I thought that KS would be the bigger upgrade, but I was torn when I did it. We generally take 3 hunters, and as they are pumping out pretty good DPS, my minor DPS loss would more than likely be made up by their DPS gain.

I think u should start gemming Arp when u hit 800 arp passive from ur gear.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think u should start gemming Arp when u hit 800 arp passive from ur gear.
    800 arp on gear and 20 sockets on gear, 18 if you're Jc.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

15+ Year Old Account
    haha, the 1st time i used femaledwarf i was rather lost myself but after messing around with it for a few mins, it was rather easy to use. If u dont feel like taking the time to use it, i'd just copy whatever the hunters in ur guild are doing. Just change ur spec so u can get imp hunters mark.

Serpent Sting glyph is probably the best glyph for MM hunters. Like Toas said, remove ur Kill Shot glyph instead.
    Interestingly, I looked at FD.com a while back when I wanted to level my hunter -- mostly as a matter of interest. It's definitely one of the easier spreadsheets I've come across. Just input things exactly as they are, tweak it according to suggestions, and see what the DPS difference is. All of the necessary options are there.

1. I'm waiting on this because I'm going for the gloves next for 2pc T10.
    2. I think the Hunter FAQ advises against doing 2 Deadly Ametrine in a slot, but I'll double check to be sure.
    3. I know, I keep forgetting; the other day when I looked there were no belt buckles and it's been out of sight, out of mind.
    4. I know it is. Again, out of sight, out of mind. At the time, I think that the War Totem was a bigger upgrade overall. I'm also hoping a cape drops in ICC.
    5. I'm hold off on this as I'm waiting on Heroic Distant Land. Will do this once I get it.
    1. Don't ever wait. Put the best gems and enchants on the gear you have now. Always.
    2. I very much doubt this, but you could be right. If the bonus isn't worth it, go for the agi gem until you can ArP.
    3. Get a buckle next time you log in. Simple.
    4. See number one. Don't hope for drops, but get the badge cloak as soon as you have the badges.
    5. See numbers 4 and 1. Don't. Wait. For. Upgrades.
    For the Alliance!

Quote Originally Posted by Gaiwyn View Post
    Interestingly, I looked at FD.com a while back when I wanted to level my hunter -- mostly as a matter of interest. It's definitely one of the easier spreadsheets I've come across. Just input things exactly as they are, tweak it according to suggestions, and see what the DPS difference is. All of the necessary options are there.

1. Don't ever wait. Put the best gems and enchants on the gear you have now. Always.
    2. I very much doubt this, but you could be right. If the bonus isn't worth it, go for the agi gem until you can ArP.
    3. Get a buckle next time you log in. Simple.
    4. See number one. Don't hope for drops, but get the badge cloak as soon as you have the badges.
    5. See numbers 4 and 1. Don't. Wait. For. Upgrades.
    It is easy; I just hadn't looked at it very closely.

1. I understand and generally ascribe to this. But when it's your say... 5th 80 that you somewhat sporadically play, some things fall to the back burner.
    2. I had to read it twice to understand it, but I think it was like "if the Agi bonus isn't at least +5 agility PER SLOT, don't do Ametrines in both".
    3. I hadn't played over the weekend due to work, and posted this right after I got home.
    4 & 5. See #1.

You are correct that the Hunter FAQ says contrary to my advice. It's wrong. I've pointed this out (see last post of the hunter FAQ), but no one has ever addressed my concerns. You are the perfect example of why it should be changed. It's misleading.

Check the spreadsheet for confirmation that my advice is correct.