Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

"Monster PC" vs WoW

Well I've have lately been more active on those forums - because I bought this new computer a few weeks ago.

The main system components are:
    AMD Phenom II 1090T (3.2Ghz x 6)
    Geforce GTX 480
    8gig ram
    1TB 7200 rpm.

So I would say that this build should pretty much tear WoW apart ... in the good way... but it DONT - well atleast not as much as I though it would

It's abit different from place to place but normaly I get around 30 fps in Dalaran and 60 in the wilds (ultra settings and vsync)

But in Orgrimmar I don't even max out the vsync (60 fps) and sometimes in the wild I go as low as 40 fps.

So my question is: Shouldn't a PC with my build be able to pretty much max the vsync all the time?

extra Q: When im running WoW I can see that my system is only using like 20% of the CPU and 40% of the RAM (20% is the windows idle) ... So is there a way to tell it to use extra power for higher fps?

It might just be me - But I'm seriously dissapointed - with the best single-cpu graphic card and a hexcore CPU I should be rocking WoW, and I don't feeling like I am :S

"AMD Phenom II 1090T (3.2Ghz x 6)" is not too good for WoW, but would think you get better fps still. Updated graphics drivers?
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

reason for buying a 6 core?

Quote Originally Posted by Dethh View Post
    reason for buying a 6 core?
    even my pc dips below 60 frames in dalaran from time to time.

Your 1090T "monster" isn't going to come close.
    2x Intel Xeon 5680 12 Cores (2x6 Cores)@ 5.0ghz.* EVGA Classified SR-2 Motherboard.*Kingston Hyper-X 48gb(12x4gb) DDR3 1600.* 3x OCZ Colossus SSD 1.5gb (3x500gb) Raid 0.* 2x Enermax 1250W PSU. 4x EVGA GTX 480 Quad-SLI.* Samsung F3 1TB Storage Drive.* Custom Watercooled (EK 2xCPU/4xGPU Blocks, 2xMCP655 Pumps, 3xXSPC Dual Bay Reservoirs, 3x480 GTX Radiators, 24x Scythe GentleTyphoon AP15 Fans in Push/Pull).* 3x Dell 3008wfp 30" IPS Monitors.* ASUS Xonar D2X 7.1 PCIe

Whats wrong with 40 fps? To be honest I don't notice the difference personally

Quote Originally Posted by Jiran View Post
    even my pc dips below 60 frames in dalaran from time to time.

Your 1090T "monster" isn't going to come close.
    I already did the " " around monster in the topic ^^ And your system aint moster either its more like GODZILLA+KING KONG

And there is nothing "WRONG" with the 40 ish fps - I just thought my system would do more. I just wanted a 2nd oppinon about my systems performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Vikzter View Post
    I already did the " " around monster in the topic ^^ And your system aint moster either its more like GODZILLA+KING KONG

And there is nothing "WRONG" with the 40 ish fps - I just thought my system would do more. I just wanted a 2nd oppinon about my systems performance.
    I didn't mean to come off harsh. the 1090t just is not an efficient processor for gaming.

WoW is coded so horribly that even a 6 core Xeon @ 5hgz (my other cpu doesnt kick on for wow and only uses 1 gtx 480) can have issues with it. Memory leaks galore, and inefficient call procedures all over the place.
    2x Intel Xeon 5680 12 Cores (2x6 Cores)@ 5.0ghz.* EVGA Classified SR-2 Motherboard.*Kingston Hyper-X 48gb(12x4gb) DDR3 1600.* 3x OCZ Colossus SSD 1.5gb (3x500gb) Raid 0.* 2x Enermax 1250W PSU. 4x EVGA GTX 480 Quad-SLI.* Samsung F3 1TB Storage Drive.* Custom Watercooled (EK 2xCPU/4xGPU Blocks, 2xMCP655 Pumps, 3xXSPC Dual Bay Reservoirs, 3x480 GTX Radiators, 24x Scythe GentleTyphoon AP15 Fans in Push/Pull).* 3x Dell 3008wfp 30" IPS Monitors.* ASUS Xonar D2X 7.1 PCIe

wow is just terrible at multi threading, a single or duo core with more GHZ will easily beat a 6 core

your 'monster' will run games that multi-thread quite well i'd immagine tho

I didn't mean to come off harsh. the 1090t just is not an efficient processor for gaming.

WoW is coded so horribly that even a 6 core Xeon @ 5hgz (my other cpu doesnt kick on for wow and only uses 1 gtx 480) can have issues with it. Memory leaks galore, and inefficient call procedures all over the place.
    So your answer to the topic is that WoW might be the problem - and not my system? ^^ I don't understand that the 1090t might not be great for gaming(!?) Ofc. it is not as great as some of the Intel CPUs, but even so it's still better or equal to most of the dual-channel (forgot chipset name:S) i7s.

I guess my conclusion is that the Blizzard programmer should go back to school for guidance about memory leak! ^^

---------- Post added 2010-07-13 at 06:19 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by lethalnl View Post
    wow is just terrible at multi threading, a single or duo core with more GHZ will easily beat a 6 core

your 'monster' will run games that multi-thread quite well i'd immagine tho
    I knew I shouldn't have typed monster ;( Was just trying to LURE PPL CLOSE (i haz candy in van tac.)

But yet again the conclusion remains the same - WoW is SO 2005.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lethalnl View Post
    WoW uses 3 cores of a processor.

1 for graphics, 1 for sound and 1 for small things i dont know what is (rarely used)

a single core would sweat like a pig

Well you know this sentence: Your commputer is as fast as the slowest thing of your computer. And your processor isnt that VERY good its not bad no but like an INTEL I7 it uses 8 cores when you watch it in task manager, so why buy an AMD processor and not a INTEL processor. Intel and Nvidea is the best match, AMD and ATI is the best match you mixed it not thats its bad caus i have an intel I7 and a ATI for the moment withc will be soon replaced by an Nvidea back =)

So your answer to the topic is that WoW might be the problem - and not my system? ^^ I don't understand that the 1090t might not be great for gaming(!?) Ofc. it is not as great as some of the Intel CPUs, but even so it's still better or equal to most of the dual-channel (forgot chipset name:S) i7s.

I guess my conclusion is that the Blizzard programmer should go back to school for guidance about memory leak!
    The problem is that WoW like 99% of all software in use today are doing multithreading really badly because multiple cores is very new invention for home computers and most of the development tools that are used for x64 platform were really bad until just few years ago. Only Intel's compiler supported decent multithreading optimization, and it's not that popular among game writers.

Old software like WoW is coded for the old CPU design paradigm where both Intel and AMD competed with MHz instead of number of cores, and because of that WoW still likes MHz's more than cores. I can't comment anything on actual WoW codebase but I'm fairly certain that amateur mistakes like memory leaks are not present and that is bullshit excuse. Considering the amount of players and complications dealing with MMO's in general, WoW is remarkably stable and doesn't really crash. Almost all crashes are caused by old buggy graphics drivers.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2010-07-13 at 07:25 PM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tbh i don't see anything monstrous in this comp.
    - 7200rpm HD is the slowest you can get atm.
    - 8gig of memory means absolutely nothing if their timings/freq sucks but even if they were they utilizing the half at most.
    - This phenom and this VGA is a pretty average combo

Nevertheless even the strongest rigs will kneel in Dalaran or any major city because the game is build like that, an average gaming rig should easily hit 120fps in Dalaran if the game was optimized.

I'm getting 45fps at Crysis:Warhead with 1680x1050 full AA/AF and Natural mod in full action with smoke and water and still averaging around 40 in Dalaran with Ultra settings that makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Keosen View Post
    Tbh i don't see anything monstrous in this comp.
    - 7200rpm HD is the slowest you can get atm.
    - 8gig of memory means absolutely nothing if their timings/freq sucks but even if they were they utilizing the half at most.
    - This phenom and this VGA is a pretty average combo
    read the " " Around monster ... I did not try to prove that my computer is the best in the world. Im just wondering why the fps aint THAT great.

OK I happy about all the answers, but ill try to simplify my question: IS my rather low fps because of my computer system OR WoW?

OK I happy about all the answers, but ill try to simplify my question: IS my rather low fps because of my computer system OR WoW?
    WoW without doubt. Bad optimization is bad.
    if you really were from Sweden this thread would be about metal

Both. But if you had faster CPU, as in i5/i7 4GHz+, the game would run faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Keosen View Post
    Nevertheless even the strongest rigs will kneel in Dalaran or any major city because the game is build like that, an average gaming rig should easily hit 120fps in Dalaran if the game was optimized.

I'm getting 45fps at Crysis:Warhead with 1680x1050 full AA/AF and Natural mod in full action with smoke and water and still averaging around 40 in Dalaran with Ultra settings that makes no sense.
    Problem with WoW and one of the reasons why it's slow is because it's not possible to cheat with 3d models. Most 3d games can increase speed greatly by having really small amount of 3d models, but in WoW where you have potentially thousands of item models over characters in visible area like in Dalaran and nothing can be cut out, the game just will not ever run as fast as average first person shooters. This is also why it can take very long time for busy cities to load on low memory computers. UT is fast because there are what, some 5-6 different player models? Halo has even less...
    Trolling should be.

The 1090 was overclocking to 4ghz+, you can try that if you want more performance.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    The problem is that WoW like 99% of all software in use today are doing multithreading really badly because multiple cores is very new invention for home computers and most of the development tools that are used for x64 platform were really bad until just few years ago. Only Intel's compiler supported decent multithreading optimization, and it's not that popular among game writers.

Old software like WoW is coded for the old CPU design paradigm where both Intel and AMD competed with MHz instead of number of cores, and because of that WoW still likes MHz's more than cores. I can't comment anything on actual WoW codebase but I'm fairly certain that amateur mistakes like memory leaks are not present and that is bullshit excuse. Considering the amount of players and complications dealing with MMO's in general, WoW is remarkably stable and doesn't really crash. Almost all crashes are caused by old buggy graphics drivers.
    I can agree with everything you said, with the exception of one. WoW does not utilize memory efficiently at all. It stores unsued/old processes/threads in memory and does not move them out efficiently. Hence a leak. There is no need for it to be using over 1.5gb of memory, yet in some cases it can chew upwards of 3. Having an efficient program and having one that is stable are two entirely different things. WoW crashing due to bad vga drivers and WoW using resources that it shouldn't are two different things entirely.

---------- Post added 2010-07-13 at 09:00 PM ----------

I guess my conclusion is that the Blizzard programmer should go back to school for guidance about memory leak! ^^

---------- Post added 2010-07-13 at 06:19 PM ----------

I knew I shouldn't have typed monster ;( Was just trying to LURE PPL CLOSE (i haz candy in van tac.)

But yet again the conclusion remains the same - WoW is SO 2005.
    WoW is touched by many many developers, not just 1. It's not a hack against them. The codebase is just old and did not take multi core processors into consideration in it's initial development.
    Last edited by Jiran; 2010-07-13 at 09:01 PM.

There is no need for it to be using over 1.5gb of memory, yet in some cases it can chew upwards of 3.
    The problem is probably on your end. I've never seen memory usage go over 900MB during raiding, and up to about 1.2GB in Wintergrasp. There isn't anything remotely looking like memory leak, the RAM usage stays very stable over hours of play.

edit:

Seems like RAM usage goes way up while flying over Northrend zones, but drops again to ~700MB when entering a raid.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2010-07-13 at 09:37 PM.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Enola View Post
    The 1090 was overclocking to 4ghz+, you can try that if you want more performance.
    I've never OCed before but I watched a guide on youtube and LOL it was easy (I thought overclocked was done manualy) Well long story short I'm able to overclock it to around 4.4Ghz - BUT what do that help me when my system is already overheating!? Even while playing WoW my CPU temp goes to around 55*C :S vs to AMDs homepage max temp of my CPU is 62... it disturbs me, since while playing APB my temp have been at 68*C xD... well it didn't shot down, but im quite worried about my system :S

Just a little Q vs OC: The way I was going to do it was "go to BIOS play around with some numbers" something bus and something multiplier if i remember correct... and then it should be overclocked - after overclocking the only thing i should worry about is the heat right?