Thread: Loot systems

Loot systems

Can anyone link me to a page that explains, or explain to me in depth, all of the loot systems that are majorly used today. I am super confused about DKP and GDKP and those :P It's so so weird. I've always done a /roll for items since I first started the game.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well dkp = you get points for each boss you kill and then the raid leader tells players to bid those points for an item. highest bid wins. The points you win for each boss fight it's established by the guild you're in and ofc the minimum points you have to spend for an item.
    gdkp = you bid gold for an item and the highest offer wins. at the end of the raid the raid leader splits the gold in 25/10 and shares it with everyone. Some ask for a trade proof that you have gold so you don't get rich by not biding on items and runing gdkp runs. :d
    and then there's the loot council where the leader tell you to roll on an item and the officers from the guild decide who "deserves" from the players that rolled the item.
    Hope i got it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Trollsmasher View Post
    Thanks a lot man. Thanks to you too Loonatek

Loot Council is the way to go imo.

Quote Originally Posted by happyness View Post
    Loot Council is the way to go imo.
    Loot Council may work in special Guilds but overall it's utopic.

EPGP generates more concensus imo.

Loot council is a flawed loot system, but EPGP/DKP can be abused.
    /roll is ftw! (not)

Loot council would be the best way to go. Every other system can be abused, loot council is flawless other than the fact that the council can be corrupt. If your council is corrupt they probably consist of people who are key to the guild. If you're in a guild with corrupt key members, what are you doing in the guild anyways?

Deleted
    I've been in guilds using most of these methods.

Loot Council gave the Abacus from 25 gunship to a disc priest.

EPGP is the way to go but if anything happens in real life and you miss a raid you'll not only have to wait another week to compete against someone with more EP for an item that might not even drop.

DKP seemed good but I didn't use it much.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Doffy View Post
    EPGP is the way to go but if anything happens in real life and you miss a raid you'll not only have to wait another week to compete against someone with more EP for an item that might not even drop.
    Seems like you either don't know how EPGP works or you forgot to finish the sentence.

I got 200 gold from a money run thing

As that link points out, all dkp means is that some sort of points are awarded and are some how used to determine who gets the loot. There are all sorts of different implementations of that, and GDPK and even EPGP are really just specific versions.

The reality is there is no "Best" or "Correct" loot system because that first requires defining how loot should be distributed which anyone who has ever dealt with it knows you won't get more than a couple people to agree on.

The best loot system is what the members of a guild think it should be.

However from personal experience:

/Roll - Completly unfair and random, any serious guild should seriously not consider this.

DKP - Unfair for new ppl since you really take a lot of time to reach the lvl of elder members, elder members wich can lay back and confortably stand on they're acumulated DKP and slack big time

Loot Council - Depends on the ppl that are of the Council, and as every system dependant on ppl it fails, very often actually

EPGP - Works on the premiss of contribution/reward, and has a decaying factor, allowing new ppl to get on pair with the rest fast enough if they're contribution is the expected. The better the factors accounted as contibutions are (attendance, gifts to guild bank, wtv), the better the system will work.

Quote Originally Posted by voidillusion View Post
    The best loot system is what the members of a guild think it should be.

However from personal experience:

/Roll - Completly unfair and random, any serious guild should seriously not consider this.
    Theoretically, this is perfectly fair. The more you raid, the more rolls you get, the more loot you win. The problem is the actual sample size is never large enough for this to emerge so see short term streaks and unfair distribution.

DKP - Unfair for new ppl since you really take a lot of time to reach the lvl of elder members, elder members wich can lay back and confortably stand on they're acumulated DKP and slack big time
    Sounds like a broken DKP system. Any good dkp system will have something that counteracts this hording or inflation in the system. Resets every new tier of gear, point decay, Zero sum system, etc. If you don't have something it does end up broken.
    Loot Council - Depends on the ppl that are of the Council, and as every system dependant on ppl it fails, very often actually

EPGP - Works on the premiss of contribution/reward, and has a decaying factor, allowing new ppl to get on pair with the rest fast enough if they're contribution is the expected. The better the factors accounted as contibutions are (attendance, gifts to guild bank, wtv), the better the system will work.
    EPGP is just a specific implementation of a dkp system with an add-in built to handle it and some built in defaults.

Ideally, loot council works, you just need good officers who arent greedy. Loot Council is typically common among guilds such as mine that have been around since pre BC. I can see it being an issue in a new guild however, but hey, sometimes, you just have to trust people in this game to make the right decision.