1. #1

    Cataclysm: Two handers or DW????(FROST SPEC)

    I have seen a lot of posts about 2H and DW frost but none directly talking about which one is better, give me some info I have good weapons for both but when Cata hits I would like to know which would be better. Also the talent Endless Winter in the frost spec what happened to the 4% increased STR, I may have missed it but did they talk about taking it out? GIVE ME INFO

  2. #2
    The 4% str is on Brittle Bones.

  3. #3
    Witht he upcomming changes they will almost be identical in dps mathematically. It will come down to what sombody wants to do. Yes DW hits with the off hand with special abilities and more melee output. But 2h frost will have equal melee output due to the damage will be 100% higher. Think of the DW dk as the melee weps are 50%/50% and 2h is 100% on melee.

  4. #4
    it would be great if they were very similar on dps output.... then you could just be a weapon whore rollin on 2Handers and STR 1handers....then spec according to what weapon(s) you have acquired that is best...

  5. #5
    2hnd will generate more RP, where as DW will generate more Runes from Runic Empowerment. Two 45% chance to refresh a cool down of a depleted rune. Comes out to about 60% +/- of a chance to refresh a rune. Thus more attacks.

    And as of right now 2 1hnders will hit harder in total then 1 2hander.
    I don't heal STUPID, Stupid SHOULD HURT!
    Syntyche - Disc Priest

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Karramyn Langston View Post
    Witht he upcomming changes they will almost be identical in dps mathematically. It will come down to what sombody wants to do. Yes DW hits with the off hand with special abilities and more melee output. But 2h frost will have equal melee output due to the damage will be 100% higher. Think of the DW dk as the melee weps are 50%/50% and 2h is 100% on melee.
    Totally off base there. Although everything at this point is still speculation Blizzard has although stated the main focus of the Frost tree is staying as DW. The 2H talent is to at least make it possible to do reasonable DPS as 2H Frost, but it will be balanced to not surpass DW (if plans stay the same).

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Karramyn Langston View Post
    Witht he upcomming changes they will almost be identical in dps mathematically. It will come down to what sombody wants to do. Yes DW hits with the off hand with special abilities and more melee output. But 2h frost will have equal melee output due to the damage will be 100% higher. Think of the DW dk as the melee weps are 50%/50% and 2h is 100% on melee.
    Ehm... You have no idea how the new Frost will work, do you? ^^
    2-handers will generate more RP through the new talent Might of the Frozen Wastes, allowing for more Frost Strikes while dualwielding with ToT will allow for harder hitting attacks. Hopefully Blizz will balance the two to be roughly equal, the new Rune system should allow for way more Frost Strikes at least.

    Anyway, there's simply no way to tell right now which will be best come release. It's still early beta and nothing is final.

    ---------- Post added 2010-07-14 at 11:09 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Apostolic View Post
    2hnd will generate more RP, where as DW will generate more Runes from Runic Empowerment. Two 45% chance to refresh a cool down of a depleted rune. Comes out to about 60% +/- of a chance to refresh a rune. Thus more attacks.

    And as of right now 2 1hnders will hit harder in total then 1 2hander.
    I don't think they will allow the offhand hits to refresh runes, they'll probably go about it as they did with Rime and make only the MH hits count.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Scudamore View Post
    Totally off base there. Although everything at this point is still speculation Blizzard has although stated the main focus of the Frost tree is staying as DW. The 2H talent is to at least make it possible to do reasonable DPS as 2H Frost, but it will be balanced to not surpass DW (if plans stay the same).
    This isn't entirely true. They said that frost would be the DW tree, then announced that blood became tanking so added 2h to frost in cataclysm to compensate for the loss of one of the two 2h specs. It's pretty clear that they want both to be viable.

    How that's accomplished is another thing entirely, but Might of the Frozen Wastes is a step in the right direction.

  9. #9
    how are we supposed to know which spec will be higher dps before we play the class?

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Donttakevurge View Post
    how are we supposed to know which spec will be higher dps before we play the class?
    Well, someone could set up simulations based on the tree as it stands right now and use them to get a good idea. Although I'm not sure if we know enough about how haste decreases rune charge time to do this.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by kerwyn View Post
    Well, someone could set up simulations based on the tree as it stands right now and use them to get a good idea. Although I'm not sure if we know enough about how haste decreases rune charge time to do this.
    All simming probably should wait for Open Beta when things will pretty much be set in stone. As of right now, Blizzard has stated that there still are some major changes that will happen to the trees (of multiply classes). Right now it is all speculation on stuff that will probably change weekly.
    I don't heal STUPID, Stupid SHOULD HURT!
    Syntyche - Disc Priest

  12. #12
    It comes down to player, not which talent tree you choose. One is not better than the other in respect to raw potential.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Rytheron View Post
    It comes down to player, not which talent tree you choose. One is not better than the other in respect to raw potential.
    Except that's not true at all, it's just an excuse that inferior players use to defend inferior specs. We don't know for sure yet but there is a fairly good chance that one of the specs will end up better.
    Last edited by Shiira; 2010-07-15 at 07:22 PM.

  14. #14
    Frost will be better with two weapons as thats what its designed around.
    You may remember me from such threads as!
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...18#post8213418

  15. #15
    We don't have anyone who has simmed it yet, but I suppose it could be possible.

    That said, I love the way they try to make Frost2hander available for people who don't want a pet but want to play 2-handed dps DK, and they have made it easy for themselves to adjust it too, as all they have to do to up the dps of DW or 2h is changing the one talent that changes it.

    Ps: Waelcyrie, I loved your trapthread <3 many lulz have been had.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Wælcyrie View Post
    Frost will be better with two weapons as thats what its designed around.
    Don't be dumb. Blizzard is redesigning the tree to worth with both.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •