Thread: Shadow PvP

Shadow PvP

Hey im looking for some nice tips on becoming a pvp shadow priest.
    Like a spec
    Glyphs
    Armor, gems, and enchants

I rly want to kno if i should stack 2 set bonuses of glad gear, or go for the -2s off weakened soul.
    Also, for head/shoulder chants, is SP or Stam more important for spriests?
    This bro told a cool story on 2009-12-03 and proudly took part in the banfest.

Deleted
    Basically, there are a lot of ways to gear as a shadowpriest for arena and pvp, but most of it depends on your comps and what gear you have availible to you.

Let's get over the mandatory things first:

Glyphs: Mind Flay, Dispersion, Inner Fire.

There's not much wiggle room here. Fade is also a decent glyph, but you can't really give up any of the other ones. Dispersion reduces the cooldown to 1:15m which is godly as it acts as both a survability tool and a mana regen ability. Mind Flay for 10% more damage on flays which is pretty good. Inner fire gives you a nice chunk of extra armor, which adds to your survivability. If you only duel frostmages 24/7, you can replace this with Fade, but I wouldn't advice doing it for BG and arena play since melee will be smashing you a lot.

Gearing:

Theres a few routes to go. First you have to decide what comp you want to play and then you can gear around it.
    Double DPS 2s (spriest/rogue, spriest/mage) and burst setup 3s (RPS, Shatterplay) benefits from using a crit setup. That means full Satin gear.
    Spriest/healer 2s (spriest/restoshaman, spriest/restodruid) and outlastish setups in 3s (Shadowplay, spriest/ele/restodruid) calls for using a regen setup, i.e mooncloth gear.

Satin setups are the most well rounded, as it simply gives you a lot more damage and burst but it also has almost zero in combat regen. That means you don't have much longevity and the playstyle becomes more fast paced.

Mooncloth setups sacrifice all their crit to get decent in combat regen. Your damage will go down a lot, but in return you will basically never go oom and you can pressure differently by being using dots more freely.

With that said, some comps simply doesn't work well with one gearsetup (rogue/spriest is pretty terrible with a mooncloth setup, and spriest/restodruid doesn't even work without mooncloth)

So pick a choice and go with it. If you mostly care about having a wellrounded set for BGs, arenas, duels and worldpvp you should pick Satin. If you like to play disc also sometimes, mooncloth gear is not a bad choice.

With that out of the way, you need to balance your stats.

Regardless of what gearsetup you pick you need:

- 130 spell penetration. Best way to get this, is to get +35 cloak enchant, spell penetration arena offhand/wand, and then gem 12sp/13spellpen in all your blue slots until you reach 130.
    - 4% hit (104 hit rating). Although you do get 3% shadow hit from the talent Shadow Focus and 3% from Misery, you won't always have misery debuff on targets that you fear or silence, and the hit from shadow focus doesn't apply to discipline spells such as Dispel and Mass Dispel. And missing those sucks big balls, so get 4% from gear.
    - 1100-1200 resilience. This is your sweet spot. If you go any lower, you will find yourself getting ripped apart pretty fast. Some comps may allow a bit lower like 1050'ish, but I definately wouldn't recommend it. For battlegrounds and duels, 1200 is definately what you want.

Now your most important stats after that, are Spellpower and Haste. Stack these as high as you can without sacrificing the above requirements. Spellpower and haste are about equal in value for a pvp shadowpriest so you can gem for either one. Usually you wanna take 12sp/10 haste in red and yellow slots or even 20 haste in yellows if your haste is low (<500)

Enchants:
    Helm: 29sp / 20 resil (Wintergrasp)
    Shoulders: 23 sp /15 resil (wintergrasp)
    Cloak: +35 spell penetration
    Chest: 20 resil
    Bracers: 30 spellpower
    Gloves: Rocket gloves if engineer, otherwise 28 spellpower
    Legs: 50 sp / 30 stamina
    Boots: Tuskarr's vitality (runspeed is very important)

As for good satin gearsetups, there are basically 2 options:

1) 4 pieces of Wrathful gear + 1 offset item
    This is the standard way. The offset item needs to be one that boosts your haste since theres no haste on the pvp mainpieces. Meteor Chasers Raiment or Leggings of Woven death (similar stats) are excellent choices. One is crafted the other costs 95 frost emblems so take whichever is easiest to get.

2) 3 pieces of Wrathful gear + 2p264 tier 10
    This is the offensive setup. Our 2pT10 bonus is 5% extra crit on all your dots, which is very good in a high crit based build. You do sacrifice a lot of resilience in this setup (around 100) so I would only suggest this setup if your gear is already very high standard (full wrathful gear) so you can maintain 1100 resilience. If you are wearing relentless or furious parts, stick with setup (1). You can use either combination of Head/Shoulders/Chest since they all have the crit/haste combo, but only use this if you got access to the sanctified parts (ilvl 264 or 277) otherwise its not worth the drop in itemlevel over the wrathful gear.

With either setup you should land between 3000-3200 spellpower and 700-900 haste, even higher if your gear is great. The crit comes automatically as your gear quality improves but it should be around 15-19% on your character sheet (remember you get 6% extra crit on dots from talents!)

Trinkets:
    Depending on what you got access to, heres a small prio list:

Hc CTS > CTS > Hc DFO > DFO > Hc PotNL > Haste/SP Battlemaster > PotNL > Hc Solace > Solace > Purified Lunar Dust

If you can't get any of the pve trinkets, stick to a haste battlemaster. Its pretty decent starter trinket to help get your haste up.

Spec:

In a satin setup, you want to go for a 20/0/51 build with the crit talents in shadow. I suggest picking up 2/2 Improved Vampiric Embrace also as its very useful.
    In disc, you avoid Matyrdom and Meditation (thats only for mooncloth builds), and I suggest taking 3/3 improved shield and 3/3 mental agility.

If you are confused, feel free to copy my spec:
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...=Hexn&gn=Thule

It's a great template. Once you have familiarized yourself with shadow more, you can pick and choose individual talents that you want/dont want to fit your playstyle.

Hope that helped
    Last edited by mmoc9e8e7fdb19; 2010-07-14 at 01:40 AM.

Mew thanks so much man, you answered all my questions, and then some i hadnt even thought of, someone should sticky that post, its so helpful =p
    This bro told a cool story on 2009-12-03 and proudly took part in the banfest.

Deleted
    Although most things have been covered I will also link you here incase you have more questions: http://shadowpriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=24095

Haste offset, Spirit set pieces, avoid crit like the plague.