Evangelism and Archangel

The two talents mentioned in the title will provide some pretty cool utility in PvP. The only problem I have is the total lack of usefulness in PvE. My reasoning: hit cap. Without the proper hit rating (which is not something you will want to get as disc or holy), casting smite in any group situation would be detrimental to your healing and have little to no effect on DPS. I only mention this because I feel the ability was put in there to be a utility talent for healers, and they'd be better off saving their mana. It is a very cool mechanic I think, so I make this suggestion: bring back divine accuracy. It could be worked into an existing talent or be a passive for holy and disc, or even a new talent, but the way evangelism works right now would not be useful in PvE. Once again, I'm aware it is probably more for PvP, but I feel this should be looked at. If someone could post this on blizzards official forums to get their attention that would be greatly appreciated.

Long live the smite priest

Yea the old talent trees had the holy talent that increased our hit by 10% which is now gone. The only saving grace I see if for holy priests to use smites during their surge of light procs to generate evangelism charges and use archangel for instant mana regen. Luckily the wording of the spell suggests that as long as the smite is cast, you'll get a charge regardless of whether or not it hit the target.

For Holy Priests Evangelism and Archangel could be interesting in combination with Surge of Light. When we get Surge of Light we cast smite to get one Evangelism charge. And finally we can consume Evangelism charges with Archangel as a source of mana or healing. Remember that Holy Nova party restriction is being removed, and Evangelism and Surge of Light are a more interesting than it seems.

For Discipline Priests still exists Attonement, and I'm sure that there will be enough moments when it will be possible to keep everyone alive for 2-4 s with just smite. So I wouldn't say that Evangelism and Archangel are absolutly useless for PvE. At least is too soon to say it.

For some reason I can't find Archangel duration.

I agree that if you wanted to make a pure holy dps class, those talents would be nice because you would be allowed to stack hit rating, but as a healer, any gear with hit rating becomes wasted gear points. And to be clear, I'd be all for a utility holy dps class, we'd need a little more generosity from blizz though. I'd also like to know the duration on archangel, it could still have some very useful +healing if the duration is long enough.

Deleted
    Going by the tooltip "When you cast Smite" it would suggest you don't need to land the spell just get the cast off. If this is the case then Evangelism will be very good in PvE when used correctly. If you have the combo of talents Surge of Light + Evangelism + Archangel then you can at the minimum gain 1 stack every 15 seconds to reap 3% of total mana return plus 3% bonus healing for 18 seconds. I'd imagine you could get off a couple crits at least in those 15 second windows so it's quite possible to keep up a nice running of Archangel.

Also like to point you only need 1 point in Evangelism because the damage you're doing with that Smite really isn't worth boosting, you just want the stacks to use with Archangel.
    Last edited by mmoc1dd646f17e; 2010-07-14 at 04:28 PM.

It does make Atonement much less appealing if we lose our holy hit.

I can see what evangelism does, but can anyone tell me exactly what archangel actually does? Both the priest info page and the talent calculator are bugging up for me and neither will show me exactly what it does so im feeling frustrated that i dont know how useful it is :S
    "English doesn't so much borrow words from other languages as follows them into a dark alley, hits them over the head and goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary."

I'm pretty excited about how nice the new Disc talents will be for levelling. Decent damage from evangelism, mana regen from Archangel, and once you get far enough to pick up Atonement it should be basically impossible to die. All that plus Penance at level 10 makes me seriously tempted to level another priest.

@Migey: try this link http://db.mmo-champion.com/s/81700/archangel/
    Last edited by Butterbumps; 2010-07-17 at 02:21 PM.

So does it restore 15% of total mana at 5 stacks or not? I've read posts contradicting each other about this part.

Still, I really hate that I have to choose between extra spell power from Inner Fire or mana return from Archangel as Holy... I hope they re-design our talent trees >_>

Quote Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
    So does it restore 15% of total mana at 5 stacks or not? I've read posts contradicting each other about this part.

Still, I really hate that I have to choose between extra spell power from Inner Fire or mana return from Archangel as Holy... I hope they re-design our talent trees >_>
    How is it even a choice between 15% extra healing done and a mana return on a 15 second CD ( says so in the current beta build but it will most definately be a longer CD... 2 minutes maybe?) and ~100 spellpower?

Quote Originally Posted by Dianthe View Post
    How is it even a choice between 15% extra healing done and a mana return on a 15 second CD ( says so in the current beta build but it will most definately be a longer CD... 2 minutes maybe?) and ~100 spellpower?
    Given the fact that it scales negatively with difficulty (meaning the tougher the boss fight is, the lower your chances of getting Evangelism stacks), it IS a valid choice.

Also:

Inner Fire
    A burst of Holy energy fills the caster, increasing the armor value from items by 60% and spell power by 1080.
    So that's almost 500 spell power from Improved Inner Fire right there.