Thread: Unholy s(tuff)

10+ Year Old Account

Unholy s(tuff)

So im working on my decision to make my first alt since original launch come cataclysm, that being an unholy dk. From what ive been reading around here seems like blood and frost are played more, or maybe they are just focused in discussions a lot more. Now just to get a background on me.. I dont care about pve raiding/dungeon and dragons aspect of WoW. Playing a rogue for 6 years, I am strictly pvp player. So that being said heres a few questions...

How does unholy match up in pvp, meaning dps/survivability?

What about dual wielding as unholy?

Is anti magic shell/zone crucial talents to get? (It seems kind of out of place there, hence theres no room to point dump)

Im making an unholy goblin dk for thrills and laughs. Rocket grip anyone? I also think it would be cool to roll around with a ghoul being similar size. So anyways, I would appreciate any unholy dk feedback. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lostkeys View Post
    How does unholy match up in pvp, meaning dps/survivability?
    Unholy is the most viable pvp spec at the moment.

What about dual wielding as unholy?
    It's bad.

Is anti magic shell/zone crucial talents to get? (It seems kind of out of place there, hence theres no room to point dump)
    Most pvp UH builds take imp AMS because it's awesome. AMZ Is more of a point dump but has it's uses.

e: based on current trees and not cataclysm trees. I'm not ready to make a final call on cataclysm until we get closer to launch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah okay that clears most of my concerns I appreciate it. I really wanted to DW as unholy just because I like the feel, is there any particular reason why dual wielding would not be wise?

Yeah who knows what turns cataclysm will take prior to launch

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostkeys View Post
    Ah okay that clears most of my concerns I appreciate it. I really wanted to DW as unholy just because I like the feel, is there any particular reason why dual wielding would not be wise?

Yeah who knows what turns cataclysm will take prior to launch
    NO DW for Unholy, its bad, you will do no dps with OH wep, plus you should have some 2h talents as unholy. DW is ONLY viable for frost =]...btw i LVOE frost, i mostly see blood and unholy dks, rarely any dps frost. Its fun too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Frost would be a nice transition from my rogue main... hmmmm

The reason why is as stated, no dps from off-hand.

Which is kinda vague unless you know about the frost spec tree which contains the talent Threat of Thaussarian. This talent makes about 3/4 of the abilities you use most frequently hit with both main-hand and off-hand, pretty much making frost THE DW tree.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you want to mainly PvP then you should go with Unholy as it is the only viable PvP spec for DKs who want any major success, personally I find DW frost to be fun occasionally in PvP with Hungering Cold for example. But if you want to PvE then DW Frost is your best bet as it's fairly easy to get a pair of slow 1handers.