Thread: Lightwell

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Lightwell

"Priest (Forums / 3.3.5 Talent Calculator / Cataclysm Talent Calculator / Build 12479 Skills/Talents)

Lightwell
    In the current beta build (or possibly the next one), clicking Lightwell no longer switches your target to it. That was one of the changes we've been waiting for to reevaluate the talent. (Enemies can still target it normally.)"

It's a start...

It's infinitely better than the old one, since DPSers no longer have a valid excuse not to click it.

That doesn't mean they will click it. Before lightwell ends up as a hotkey somewhere (like a healthstone), I really don't think this spell will work - simply finding the thing in a cluster of dpshorny meleers is hard, and for a typical raider who has trouble not standing in fire, doing stuff other than pressing 1-1-1-2-3-1-1-4-1-5-1-2 is pretty darned hard.

But hey... maybe all wow players everywhere suddenly are replaced with people who enjoy clicking on stuff in the middle of their rotations come cataclysm. The chance is small, but absolutely greater than zero. When earth is invaded by mind-controlling obsessive-compulsive aliens, Lightwell will be awesome incarnate.

Disclaimer: The author of this post is in no way or form a herald for the upcoming invasion of mind-controlling obsessive-compulsive aliens. Also, any hint of bitterness is very much intended

Quote Originally Posted by Danner View Post
    It's infinitely better than the old one, since DPSers no longer have a valid excuse not to click it.

That doesn't mean they will click it. Before lightwell ends up as a hotkey somewhere (like a healthstone), I really don't think this spell will work - simply finding the thing in a cluster of dpshorny meleers is hard, and for a typical raider who has trouble not standing in fire, doing stuff other than pressing 1-1-1-2-3-1-1-4-1-5-1-2 is pretty darned hard.

But hey... maybe all wow players everywhere suddenly are replaced with people who enjoy clicking on stuff in the middle of their rotations come cataclysm. The chance is small, but absolutely greater than zero. When earth is invaded by mind-controlling obsessive-compulsive aliens, Lightwell will be awesome incarnate.

Disclaimer: The author of this post is in no way or form a herald for the upcoming invasion of mind-controlling obsessive-compulsive aliens. Also, any hint of bitterness is very much intended
    But I herd clicking is bad!
    Samin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashrana View Post
    So, what would be your reaction, if you found out, that come cata release first patch, blizzard were planning to kill everyone by sending a bear through the mail?

I don't have access to US blizzard forums since my account is EU. Somebody should REALLY (please!) post, and ask them to make the Lightwell bigger.

Congratulate them for making this change; this is a huge step forward, but I think it's too damn small atm. Missclicking it when it's bigger won't be such a big deal because you won't lose your target. And apparently they think the fact that it's killable is cool ._.

10+ Year Old Account
    haha yeah Danner i'm a bit hesitant too. Gogo lightwell mechanic change or add a small damage boosting component
    in addition to the heal or something. Plus I feel like a mom with dinner on the table

-Priest: Raaaaiders, lightwell is ready!
    -Mr. Mage: In a minute
    *tick tock*
    -Priest: Come on now, your health is getting low
    -Mr. Mage: Coming.....oooh AP is up
    *tick tock*
    -Priest: The CD is almost up and you are about to die, you don't even need to switch targets anymore!
    -Mr. Mage: BUT IMMA CHARGIN MY LAZORS OVER HERE

Quote Originally Posted by Lysdexic View Post
    I don't have access to US blizzard forums since my account is EU. Somebody should REALLY (please!) post, and ask them to make the Lightwell bigger.

Congratulate them for making this change; this is a huge step forward, but I think it's too damn small atm. Missclicking it when it's bigger won't be such a big deal because you won't lose your target. And apparently they think the fact that it's killable is cool ._.
    I prefer a new Lightwell model to make it atractive again for other players. In my opinion the button is too small and I hate when it disappears behind an enemy.

Lightwell has to be destroyable, it's really really powerful in PvP. In 1vs1 I don't die till Lightwell is destroyed. Besides, even if its HPs are reduced (around 6k) it's tough enough to give you some seconds. I'm sure that lot of casters are surprised to not be able to one-shot Lightwell.

Lightwell should be an AOE stationary effect. Like a reverse Void Zone. No clicking, just stand in the area. After a certain amount of time or healing dispensed, the well disappears.

Then again I've been playing a holy priest for 4 years, and never once put a talent point into Lightwell. The reason is I want to throw out my heals, not drop a "stationary object". But if they make it a pre-req for Chakra I guess I'll be forced to try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillieB View Post
    -Priest: Raaaaiders, lightwell is ready!
    -Mr. Mage: In a minute
    *tick tock*
    -Priest: Come on now, your health is getting low
    -Mr. Mage: Coming.....oooh AP is up
    *tick tock*
    -Priest: The CD is almost up and you are about to die, you don't even need to switch targets anymore!
    -Mr. Mage: BUT IMMA CHARGIN MY LAZORS OVER HERE
    -Mr. Mage: Hey I died! WTH!
    -Priest: sorry couldn't heal you
    -Mr. Mage: WTF! do your job!
    -Raid Leader: healers are maxed out. DPS need to keep themselves alive with bandages, HS, and Lightwell

DPS cannot ignore encounter mechanics to focus on their DPS alone. If part of boss encounters include people keeping themselves alive, Lightwell will have purpose. I can see melee and range arguing about where Lightwell should be placed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Perhaps the solution is not changing it at all and stop sugercoating it to get DPS using it. Instead if you
    don't use it you will get a 1hr debuff turning your armor into pala T5 (http://media.photobucket.com/image/p..._Human.jpg?o=6) and your name into wtfdkpwnlol?

Quote Originally Posted by PhillieB View Post
    "Priest (Forums / 3.3.5 Talent Calculator / Cataclysm Talent Calculator / Build 12479 Skills/Talents)

Lightwell
    In the current beta build (or possibly the next one), clicking Lightwell no longer switches your target to it. That was one of the changes we've been waiting for to reevaluate the talent. (Enemies can still target it normally.)"

It's a start...
    Thank you Jesus.

Maybe If I put it by a tank he will click it?
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Lightwell should function in the same way that the ones in ToC do. Where they spray out healing to people in range. This would function well if it were maybe on a longish cooldown.

Quote Originally Posted by curana View Post
    lightwell should function in the same way that the ones in toc do. Where they spray out healing to people in range. This would function well if it were maybe on a longish cooldown.
    ffffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccccccccccccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk myyyyyyyyyyyyy liiiiiiiifffffffeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Edit: I feel like I should clarify.
    I hereby create a new law of the world. In any thread concerning the Lightwell, the longer the discussion goes on, the probability of somebody suggesting the ToC5 design approaches 1.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law
    Last edited by Lysdexic; 2010-07-15 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Curana View Post
    Lightwell should function in the same way that the ones in ToC do. Where they spray out healing to people in range. This would function well if it were maybe on a longish cooldown.
    What function would that give us that we don't already have? We have plenty of AOE and/or smart heals.

I'm interested to see how well it works in its new form. As long as what they have been saying is true in that DPS will have to be a little more responsible for worrying about their own health I can see it being a big hit. At the end of the day people are willing to "waste" a GCD to click a healthstone so why not use it to click on the floating fountain in front of you.

I do agree with Lysdexic that it should be made slightly bigger though
    >:7

Full Bloggage: - http://nuronv.wordpress.com
    Micro Blogs: - http://twitter.com/nuron_v

Priest: Cmon, click the lightwell.
    DPS: How come the resto druid, resto shaman, holy pala and disc priest can keep us alive without bothering us to use some clunky mechanic? We have an enrage timer to beat here.

I wonder if holy priests will be balanced around dps actually using that thing.

Could you use a macro that makes you click lightwell? So dropping it in melee and telling melee to use said macro could be useful. Now, melee actually using it is another thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucapa View Post
    Priest: Cmon, click the lightwell.
    DPS: How come the resto druid, resto shaman, holy pala and disc priest can keep us alive without bothering us to use some clunky mechanic? We have an enrage timer to beat here.

I wonder if holy priests will be balanced around dps actually using that thing.
    Won't that be the same as DPS who are too lazy to move into the Power Word: Barrier or move into Healing Rain?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucapa View Post
    We have an enrage timer to beat here.
    Most fights at the moment have enrage times because no one runs out of resources, you need to have some way to fail. Most older content and cataclysm content will let you fail by having your healers run out of juice. If DPS make an effort to reduce damage taken and use efficient spells like lightwell that pseudo-enrage timer of running out of mana is increased.
    >:7

Full Bloggage: - http://nuronv.wordpress.com
    Micro Blogs: - http://twitter.com/nuron_v

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't remember the exact quote but I believe Blizzard have said they want interaction. Which somewhat rules out the ToC version. I know the subject of lightwell have been re-hashed in these forums ad infinitum but at least something is happening. Myself I have a hard time seeing how this should prove to be such a hard nut for Blizz to crack but it's pretty much been broken for a long while and it's not like it's a "technical / mechanical" issue.

Redesign, there have got to be loads of viable solutions, and be done with it. I'm getting fed up with it even though I so rarely use it / spec for it.

Still not going to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tygerlily177 View Post
    Still not going to use it.
    That attitude is why lightwell is still considered "horrible". IMO, they should keep the lightwell prereq for chakra come Cata, it will at least make us take it; just one more step in actually using it.