Thread: Frost DPS

Frost DPS

I recently acquired Deathbringers Will. Someone in the raid made a comment about how armor pen was amazing for frost dw dks. I am curious to see if this is true. Should I be gemming For armor pen or Strength!?!?!

If you need to ask then you should be gemming strength. Armour penetration is still better than haste or crit though, so pick up as much of it on your gear as you can. Just don't gem it.

Definitely gem for strength. I don't even think blood gems for ArP anymore (I could be wrong!)

If you have a high enough GS, say all 264/277, you should gem straight armor pen, if you still balancing 251/264 you should keep gemming str, with the white hits and Obliterates being physical attacks and those two being your main abilities that you see up on recount as # 1 & 2 you can imagine gemming arp those hits will increase a TON. When i gemmed arp i noticed a 1.5k dps increase, if I were to gem to early I would of noticed a decrease, after all, on World of Logs, all the frost dks that are topping the charts are gemming for straight arp, I rarely see a frost DK gemming STR and getting Logged as one of the top players. If you have 264/277/BIS gear you should start gemming arp.
    Last edited by Menelaz; 2010-07-15 at 01:17 PM.

Someone with close to bis gear isn't going to need to ask mmochampion for help with gemming.

Quote Originally Posted by Menelaz View Post
    If you have a high enough GS, say all 264/277, you should gem straight armor pen, if you still balancing 251/264 you should keep gemming str, with the white hits and Obliterates being physical attacks and those two being your main abilities that you see up on recount as # 1 & 2 you can imagine gemming arp those hits will increase a TON. When i gemmed arp i noticed a 1.5k dps increase, if I were to gem to early I would of noticed a decrease, after all, on World of Logs, all the frost dks that are topping the charts are gemming for straight arp, I rarely see a frost DK gemming STR and getting Logged as one of the top players. If you have 264/277/BIS gear you should start gemming arp.
    Gearscore has NOTHING to do with gemming armor pen and you're just proving how GS-obsessed people are getting. If you can get very close or hit the ArP hardcap, that's when you gem ArP. You can have the world's highest gearscore, but if you don't have enough ArP on the gear to get near the hardcap, it's pointless. Also as Shiira said, someone in near BiS gear is not going to be touching the MMO-Champ forums for help. Please don't mislead the OP by saying it has anything to do with Gearscore, because it really doesn't. If you can cap or come very close to the cap for ArP, do it. Otherwise, strength is the way to go.

don't forget arp food and elixir for getting as much arp as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Caean View Post
    don't forget arp food and elixir for getting as much arp as you can.
    The elixir is going to be a DPS loss as far as my math has shown. It works for say hunters, because they can use that int elixir as well and get AP from it.

Using my weights:

45 ArP x 3.4 APE = 153 < 180 (Rage Flask)

I know that GS isnt anything, I dont even have the addon installed, but some people do and thats what they go by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Menelaz View Post
    I know that GS isnt anything, I dont even have the addon installed, but some people do and thats what they go by.
    and those who go by it are idiots. Stand your ground. Don't copy them.

I have 38% armor pen with my gear. Is there a point that it would be good to switch? Or just stick with strength forever?

Quote Originally Posted by Disis View Post
    I have 38% armor pen with my gear. Is there a point that it would be good to switch? Or just stick with strength forever?
    Go with arp when it sims higher, that's the only real answer and anyone pretending to know better is just wasting your time. Even when it sims higher it still may not be worth it due to the usefulness of aoe at halion and lich king. Basically if you need to ask, especially if you're asking here, go with strength.
    Last edited by Shiira; 2010-07-15 at 07:06 PM.

just dont use ice lance its not great spaming another frost bolt will be more dps

if we could get an armory link thatd be the tits but other than that id say gem for str since at 38% with a DBW seems somewhat low and sounds like u dont have much of it on your gear.

Armor pens value is exponential as it reaches the cap of 1400. If you can reach a rating of 1300+ by gemming then it is more than likely worth your while to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    just dont use ice lance its not great spaming another frost bolt will be more dps
    Obvious troll is obvious

If you can get the hardcap or be within 100arprating from it, gem arp.

If not, gem strength.

Do note, your spells will hit for a lot less, and your BS and OB will hit for a shitton more. So you will be sacrificing AoE dps for Singletarget dps. But ARP is perfectly viable at high levels of it.