Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Azerothian species

Hey everyone

I was trying to figure out where all the species come from on azeroth, and i came to the conclusion that for alot of them i don't really have a clue.

-- Before titans arrived:
    Old Gods
    Elementals
    Trolls
    Dragons
    ??

-- Titans come, titan see, titan do
    Titans (doh)
    Gnomes
    Dwarfs

-- Dark portal and the big spaceship crash
    Draenei
    Orcs

That, leaves a few questions:
    Were the following races allways there:
    Elves
    Taurens
    Humans

Also, we got 3 types of elves atm
    High elves (i assume thats the pure race)
    Blood elves (really high elves addicted to magic and revenge)
    Night elves
    I sort of assumed that Night elves were high elves in early times of azeroth, but focused completely on nature and changed over time

Anyone care to shed some light? mostly about humans/taurens and elven races

PS: keep your trolling to yourself, we can do perfectly fine if the forumtrolls crawl back into their basements.

15+ Year Old Account
    Elves are ellegidly from trolls getting too close to the WoE. humans are from the titans iron vykrul getting cursed of fleshed, and tauren have been around for a long time ago. they are aware of the old gods in the earth

Well, high elves and blood elves are just highbourne that were banished from Kalimdor because the practiced magic. The cold made thier skins turn purple to pink, or something like that. Naga are also former highbourne night elves that got transformed by magic.

Deleted
    No clue what WoE is. But is it some sort of chernobyl?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flipkip View Post
    No clue what WoE is. But is it some sort of chernobyl?
    sure, it stands for Well of Eternity

So the Highbourne are the primal race that ended up being Night elves(and naga), High elves(and blood elves)? Cool! xD

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side View Post
    sure, it stands for Well of Eternity
    Tbh, Chernobyl and Well of Eternity arent THAT different xD
    Both immense power, both went boom and after all this time, theres still evidence of it xD (tho not at same scale haha)
    Last edited by Chamass; 2010-07-15 at 09:13 PM. Reason: WoE

The high elves, or quel'dorei ("children of noble birth" in Darnassian and "high elves" in Thalassian), are a race descended from the Highborne night elves who left Kalimdor and settled in the Eastern Kingdoms, founding Quel'Thalas.
    The kaldorei, or night elves, were an ancient and reclusive race born during the waking of the world.
    The tauren and night elves are the original Azerothians.

Elves came from trolls, humans came from vry'kul (vry'kul came from earthern vry'kul) and tauren...No Idea at all.

---------- Post added 2010-07-15 at 09:14 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Brytallica View Post
    The tauren and night elves are the original Azerothians.
    Nope, all elves evolved from trolls. And then they split into high elves and night elves.

I'd also like to point out that it is suggested that Old Gods are not native to Azeroth, and have arrived to the planet one way or another.

trolls,taurenn elementals are actual original species.

dragons created by titans

dwarves, humans, gnomes are descended from titan creations - storm peak quests etc clear this up.

old gods came from space possibly

elves are descended from trolls

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Therastos View Post
    I'd also like to point out that it is suggested that Old Gods are not native to Azeroth, and have arrived to the planet one way or another.
    this is true, but when, we dont know

Quote Originally Posted by Teyrnon View Post
    trolls,taurenn elementals are actual original species.

dragons created by titans

dwarves, humans, gnomes are descended from titan creations - storm peak quests etc clear this up.

old gods came from space possibly

elves are descended from trolls
    I was under the impression that dragons were one of the original races, but the titans merely gave the aspects power when the titans dealt with the elementals and old gods?

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side View Post
    this is true, but when, we dont know
    I find this a strange thought, since that would mean there should've been something to gain for them, with the elementals allready being in chaos since that's their very essence, i have a hard time believing that 7(or what number was it again) of the most powerfull beings would come to Azeroth to merely enjoy the show
    Last edited by Chamass; 2010-07-15 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chamass View Post
    I was under the impression that dragons were one of the original races, but the titans merely gave the aspects power when the titans dealt with the elementals and old gods?
    you might be right, i am being distracted by a nice cup of tea.

---------- Post added 2010-07-15 at 10:22 PM ----------

you might be right, i am being distracted by a nice cup of tea.

---------- Post added 2010-07-15 at 10:23 PM ----------

so good a cup of tea in fact, i posted that twice.

---------- Post added 2010-07-15 at 10:23 PM ----------

so good a cup of tea in fact, i posted that twice.

15+ Year Old Account

I find this a strange thought, since that would mean there should've been something to gain for them, with the elementals allready being in chaos since that's their very essence, i have a hard time believing that 7(or what number was it again) of the most powerfull beings would come to Azeroth to merely enjoy the show
    The dragon aspects were extracted from Galakrond, the origonal proto drake. They were empowered by the titans

WoE is the Well of Eternity. After it exploded it became the Maelstrom. The night elves (who came before high elves) built their civilization around it and it's magical properties. Queen Azshara and her exclusive sect, the Highborne, recklessly used the Well which attracted the attention of the Legion. After they were stopped and the Well destroyed, Malfurion (I think) made arcane magic illegal. The remaining Highborne disagreed which eventually led to their banishment. They traveled across the sea, eventually founding Quel'Thalas and established the Sunwell with one of the remaining vials from the WoE, and called themselves High Elves. They also forsake all night elf culture and embraced the sun. It's unknown what caused it, but they they eventually evolved physically into what we see today. Blood Elves are simply renamed High Elves for their fallen brethren with new political and social ideals, along with green eyes instead of blue as a result of their magical addiction and siphoning techniques.

The Highbourne that went under when the WoE was destroyed were twisted by the Maelstroms powers and became the Naga.

As someone said, it's speculated that night elves came from trolls since it's known that trolls have existed for a lot longer.

Taurens? Not much info on their origins. I guess they got sick of being milked so they stood up.

Humans. It's established in game that they were the 'inferior' offspring of the Vrykul. I read a blue post not too long ago that said that these 'aberrations' were taken to what is now the northern Eastern Kingdoms. It also explained the name Tyr and it's relations to humans. Tyr was a watcher in Ulduar who lost his hand in a battle or something. Instead of 'regrowing' it, he replaced it with a Silver Hand as a sign of strength and determination to the lesser races. When the humans were taken away from Northrend, these stories traveled with them too, and we still see it in names like Tyr's Hand and the Knights of the Silver Hand.

There's also the spider races. I forget the name of the original race that the Amani and Gurubashi trolls fought for years and eventually split. The northern spiders became the Nerubians and the southern became the Aqir. This split clearly happened before the Sundering, confirming that the trolls are older.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I don't feel like looking up every little thing I talked about. I will try to find that blue post though.

Edit
    Found it: http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...575587&sid=1#1
    Last edited by pillowpants; 2010-07-15 at 09:58 PM. Reason: link
    Quote Originally Posted by Umchilli View Post
    Judging by your time played, I'm not sure you know what outside looks like, let alone school :P

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pillowpants View Post
    Taurens? Not much info on their origins. I guess they got sick of being milked.
    Epic

This is a good question. Unfortunately we don't really know much about Old Gods. If I had to make a wild guess, they are parasites feeding on the life force of planet's life. I don't really know how "life force" kind of thing would fit to known lore, though.

Edit:
    I happened to just read Tribunal of Ages page in WoWiki. It is quite well established that Old Gods are parasites of some kind: "Abedneum yells: Accessing. In the early stages of its development cycle Azeroth suffered infection by parasitic, necrophotic symbiotes."

However, there was speculation about the meaning of word "necrophotic". It reads:
    Alternatively, it could be a typo for "necrophytic", which means "death eating" or "living off death", and which would make more sense in the context: the Old Gods made the Earthen flesh so they would be mortal, and thus easier to kill, so they could consume/live off their deaths.
    Looks like someone else has come up with my idea, too, with actual evidence (very weak evidence, based on assumption of a typo, but evidence regardless).
    Last edited by Therastos; 2010-07-15 at 09:41 PM.

wtf? you guys seem to be terribly misinformed
    the night elves were the ONLY elves originally, and were transformed into the highborne (high elves) after prolonged exposure to the magic of the well of eternity, and the blood elves are just high elves by a different name, they aren't necessarily addicted to magic

nobody knows where the night elves come from, but the theory is that they somehow evolved from trolls

stop telling people that your theories are solid proof, guys

edit: damn, beaten to it

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    The humans are descendant of the vrykul.[5] Around 15,000 years ago, the gods "abandoned" the vrykul, and a certain time after that, their children were born "weak and ugly."[6] King Ymiron ordered all those children to be killed, but not all parents obeyed this order and instead hid their children to grow up far away from Northrend.[7] http://www.wowwiki.com/Human

Elves were once believed to be the first race to awaken on Azeroth, but some ancient histories believe that elves were originally trolls that were transformed by the Well of Eternity. http://www.wowwiki.com/Elves <= Here, there's more information about the different kind of elves and their history. I just don't want to post it all here^^

Tauren have a long and complex oral tradition that has been handed down for generations. Since almost no written record exists of tauren history, the accuracy of their tales is unknown. Regardless, many of their stories provide the only known account for several events in history, and so these stories must be regarded as having at least some believability. The tauren race is presumed to be as old as the night elves since both races are said to have awoken during the creation of the world. http://www.wowwiki.com/Taurens
    Last edited by Naelanu; 2010-07-15 at 09:42 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pillowpants View Post

There's also the spider races. I forget the name of the original race that the Amani and Gurubashi trolls fought for years and eventually split. The northern spiders became the Nerubians and the southern became the Aqir. This split clearly happened before the Sundering, confirming that the trolls are older.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I don't feel like looking up every little thing I talked about. I will try to find that blue post though.
    You have that mostly right.

The Aqir were the original name. They then split into the Qiraji and the Nerubians.