How can I do better?

This isn't really a thread about me doing terrible DPS. But a thread on how I can do better. Basicly this is my armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...=Lysd%C3%A9xic

Btw before it gets mentioned... I replaced that expertise gem with a strength gem because I know expertise cap isn't very important as unholy.

My current rotation is-
    Opener: IT PS BS SS BS (pots and shit) gargoyle SS SS BS BS DC DC
    Rotation: IT PS BS SS BS DC HoW SS BS SS BS DC DC (DC)

I bring strength food, flasks, and pet food to raids (of course)

I currently pull about 13.2k on saurfang but somehow managed 14.2k 2 weeks ago. Is my DPS average for my gear? I know I need to replace my belt and boots. I've been trying but can't seem to ever get the boots off H lady D and belt off H dreamwalker to drop. I wish to be able to consistantly do 14k on saurfang. Also I know the frag belt is pretty useless.... I use saronite bombs during GCDs.

Anyways, any suggestions on how I can do better? Is there a better rotation? And also I should be getting Shadowmourne in 4-5 weeks. I'm at 26 Shadowfrost shards. How big of a DPS increase is Shadowmourne?

EDIT: btw, I made this thread because I always believe I can be doing better. Like 2 weeks ago I was doing 14.2k and this week I only did about 13.2k and I have no idea how I pulled 14.2k 2 weeks ago
    Last edited by Thepuntedone; 2010-07-16 at 10:23 AM.

Not really much of a DPS increase, but open with PS instead of IT. Unholy talents buff damage done while Blood Plague is active. Also, if you use Blood Tap after your first Blood Strike, it will "glitch" and activate two death runes so that you can squeeze in two Scourge Strikes right off the bat.

Your DPS is relatively average. The unholy DK in my guild usually pulls about 400-500 more DPS than me and he has Shadowmourne and a majority of 264 pieces.

Here's a WoL parse to compare your Saurfang example.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/h...?s=3003&e=3199

Keep in mind that there is no set rotation. The only time a Death Knight has one is in the opening disease sequence. It's all about priority and preemptive thinking. I usually try to land Obliterates/Scourge Strikes using 1 death and 1 unholy/frost. This usually makes my GCDs flow smoother having a blood/death rune up more frequently for pestilence.

Thanks helps a lot! I'm just trying to compete with the other DKs on WoL that do like 16-17k DPS on saurfang. But ofc they have almost full BiS and shadowmourne. I hope to be doing 15k when I get shadowmourne since I'll hopefully have most of my BiS by then.

Edit: Heres my WoL from last week:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/u...?s=5395&e=5602

And heres my WoL from this week:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/u...?s=5016&e=5222

Lysdexic is me btw if you haven't figured that out yet .

Any reason why I did about 900 DPS less this week that ya'll can see?
    Last edited by Thepuntedone; 2010-07-16 at 11:40 AM.

It happens. Wandering plague could have had better procs with adds on your previous week. Your stars might have alligned better and you could have wasted less GCDs.

Also that "glitch" you mentioned... it doesn't seem to be working. =0

and one more thing. I see most DKs having Melee being their top dmg then scourge strike... but mine seems to be melee then death coil then scourge strike.

---------- Post added 2010-07-16 at 01:01 PM ----------

k so I did find out the reason I was doing so much DPS was because of wandering plague procs last week. Just wondering if I should be replacing a blood strike with a pestilence to maximize DPS when beasts spawn? or will it be a DPS loss?
    Last edited by Thepuntedone; 2010-07-16 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thepuntedone View Post
    Also that "glitch" you mentioned... it doesn't seem to be working. =0

and one more thing. I see most DKs having Melee being their top dmg then scourge strike... but mine seems to be melee then death coil then scourge strike.

---------- Post added 2010-07-16 at 01:01 PM ----------

k so I did find out the reason I was doing so much DPS was because of wandering plague procs last week. Just wondering if I should be replacing a blood strike with a pestilence to maximize DPS when beasts spawn? or will it be a DPS loss?
    Pestilence is a perfect idea during blood beasts. It applies Ebon Plaguebringer and helps casters down them quicker, as well as pads your dps. A sole attribute of unholy is its substantial disease ticks. Spread them at any point possible that won't get you killed.

As for the "glitch" --

It works by using Blood Tap while just one blood rune is on CD. It will reactivate the regenerating death rune and also turn the blood rune not on CD into a death rune.

kk thanks :-)

As I was doing more research I happen to come across this opener rotation PS IT BS SS BS ERW SS SS Garg for highest burst DPS. It did make me burst up to 8.1k on Heroic Target Dummy. The thing is, it says you must pre hot 1 sec before pull. If you don't, you may have to skip a SS so your pot doesn't run out before you hit gargoyle. Is there any better opening rotations? Should I stick with my current one? Use the one I just mentioned? Any other suggestions?

15+ Year Old Account
    Erm, Pest'ing diseases onto Blood Beasts is ONLY good for getting the debuff on everything. Since they have a self-buff which reduces AoE damage by 95% and disease damage by 70%, the damage done by you through diseases is very small.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkaszal View Post
    Erm, Pest'ing diseases onto Blood Beasts is ONLY good for getting the debuff on everything. Since they have a self-buff which reduces AoE damage by 95% and disease damage by 70%, the damage done by you through diseases is very small.
    True that it is rather small damage per tick per add but with diseases ticking on 5 beasts + wandering plague proccs its not a dps loss in comparrison to one blood strike

in his case (averages taken from his worldoflogs link)
    1 disease tick ~2250 -> -70% = 675 -> *5adds = 3375 -> *2 diseases = 6750
    1 blood strike ~4350

so even if each disease just ticks once and there are no wandering plague proccs it should end up as a dps increase + the overall raid dps increase through ebon plague bringer
    Last edited by Xarai; 2010-07-16 at 02:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Disease swapping or whatever I forget the term. Basically goes like this.
    Start with PS then IT, then switch priority on which disease goes on first so then its It PS

EX PS IT, PS IT, IT PS, IT PS, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Thepuntedone View Post
    Like 2 weeks ago I was doing 14.2k and this week I only did about 13.2k and I have no idea how I pulled 14.2k 2 weeks ago
    Crit RNG , Raid setup