Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Death Knight Domination

In Wrath of the Lich King we were introduced to the Death Knight. The Death Knight was originally agreed upon as the most OP class in game. As patch after patch nerfed us into the ground, we became a support class in Arena. Just meant to Death Grip and Chains of Ice with our diseases spread is probably not what Blizzard intended with thier first Hero Class. So now we have Cataclysm on the way and PvP looks pretty good. Outbreak with instant and ranged disease application. Necrotic Strike will act as an MS ability for neutralization of heals. And then Dark Simulacrum, the level 85 ability which will benefit us most in Arena. DS will not only act as a spell reflect when we have AMS activated, but can also work to prevent big casts from a caster when the caster is low on HP. When used correctly, DS should be able to take a Lava Burst from an Elemental Shamam and send it at his healer with a simple macro. Or we can say an Arcane Mage has 5-6k health left and goes to cast Arcane Blast. A smart DK would apply DS then and there to either prevent the cast or send an Arcane Blast back at the mage, ultimately ending a lose-lose situation for our mage friend. A smart caster would not want this to happen, therefore would not cast anything big for at least 1 GCD. It will be a good day to be a DK when Cataclysm is finally released.

The spellreflect thingie is nice, however also on a 2 min cd.

Deleted
    I see lots of strong abilities or talents for PVP, not only granted to DKs - I dont agree with you on this topic.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireWrites View Post
    In Wrath of the Lich King we were introduced to the Death Knight. The Death Knight was originally agreed upon as the most OP class in game. As patch after patch nerfed us into the ground, we became a support class in Arena. Just meant to Death Grip and Chains of Ice with our diseases spread is probably not what Blizzard intended with thier first Hero Class. So now we have Cataclysm on the way and PvP looks pretty good. Outbreak with instant and ranged disease application. Necrotic Strike will act as an MS ability for neutralization of heals. And then Dark Simulacrum, the level 85 ability which will benefit us most in Arena. DS will not only act as a spell reflect when we have AMS activated, but can also work to prevent big casts from a caster when the caster is low on HP. When used correctly, DS should be able to take a Lava Burst from an Elemental Shamam and send it at his healer with a simple macro. Or we can say an Arcane Mage has 5-6k health left and goes to cast Arcane Blast. A smart DK would apply DS then and there to either prevent the cast or send an Arcane Blast back at the mage, ultimately ending a lose-lose situation for our mage friend. A smart caster would not want this to happen, therefore would not cast anything big for at least 1 GCD. It will be a good day to be a DK when Cataclysm is finally released.
    YOu have to remember, Dark Simulacrum won't prevent the spell from being cast. The spell will still go off, and will still land at its target, that includes Sheep and stuff like that, the only thing DS will do is Copy said spell and let us cast it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Doldis View Post
    YOu have to remember, Dark Simulacrum won't prevent the spell from being cast. The spell will still go off, and will still land at its target, that includes Sheep and stuff like that, the only thing DS will do is Copy said spell and let us cast it.
    *facepalm*
    It is not an interrupt, its a smarter spell reflect.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Doldis View Post
    *facepalm*
    It is not an interrupt, its a smarter spell reflect.

-Meythia: Why not? The fact that others will be getting some PvP abilities is fine, but the Death Knight spells will make us viable solo healer-killers. If that makes sense.

-Doldis: I was assuming the mage would be experienced, meaning he wouldnt cast the spell because he would commit suicide in the process.

-Uridawnblade: I know it isn't, read what I said to Doldis.

One question though. Has it been established if the spell will be automatically copied, or if we will be able to choose when to send the spell back, or whats the deal? I haven't read anything explaining this yet and have obviously done 0 testing(level cap isn't 85 on beta yet).

Deleted
    -Meythia: Why not? The fact that others will be getting some PvP abilities is fine, but the Death Knight spells will make us viable solo healer-killers. If that makes sense.

-Doldis: I was assuming the mage would be experienced, meaning he wouldnt cast the spell because he would commit suicide in the process.

-Uridawnblade: I know it isn't, read what I said to Doldis.

One question though. Has it been established if the spell will be automatically copied, or if we will be able to choose when to send the spell back, or whats the deal? I haven't read anything explaining this yet and have obviously done 0 testing(level cap isn't 85 on beta yet).
    And the other issue is, if the spell/ability sacles with say "spell power" and DK has 0 SP or comparitively little SP, the spell will do little dmg anyway, it is a cool ability for CC/Stun/Silence but offensive spells are just meh... Lets wait and see what happens to this ability.

-Uridawnblade: It is an exact copy of the spell, meaning however much damage it does to you it will do to the caster.

Deleted
    That would be impossible to implement and balance Voltaire... Take for example
    Smite: Smite an enemy for X to Y Holy damage. With a base cast time of 2.5 sec... It works around mana and spirit along with SP... So how would Blizz balance this in that the DK is able to put out the same amount of damage with the SP coefficient as a priest using smite via DS?

Seems like a very heavily loaded spell.

Uridawn: I agree with you. As complex as it would be I hope Blizz can manage something like this. Being able to send a 13k Chaos Bolt would be pretty outstanding.

Deleted
    Brb getting my DK to 80 :P

will dark simulacrum work with mind control and stuff like that? i guess you cant spell reflect mind control so i dont think it will work...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by icecreamtruck View Post
    will dark simulacrum work with mind control and stuff like that? i guess you cant spell reflect mind control so i dont think it will work...
    Is he trolling or is this actually true? :\
    I honestly can't remember.

I highly doubt it will copy Mind Control, seeing as you can't copy control over yourself, it would just revert back to regular control.

Quote Originally Posted by Uridawnblade View Post
    That would be impossible to implement and balance Voltaire... Take for example
    Smite: Smite an enemy for X to Y Holy damage. With a base cast time of 2.5 sec... It works around mana and spirit along with SP... So how would Blizz balance this in that the DK is able to put out the same amount of damage with the SP coefficient as a priest using smite via DS?

Seems like a very heavily loaded spell.
    So you're saying the warrior spell reflect doesn't do that already? The way i'm hearing about this it's just another spell reflect, not a mimic.

Quote Originally Posted by Rédempteur View Post
    The way i'm hearing about this it's just another spell reflect, not a mimic.
    No, it's a mimic. You still take damage from the spell.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's more of a delayed Spell Reflect, you just choose when and where it goes.

EX: Mage Pyroblasts you while DS is up. You take the damage (let's go with 10k) and DS becomes Pyroblast. You target the Mage's friend (who happens to be at about 7k health) and hit your shiny new Pyroblast. Target dies, and now you smash the Mage's face in.

Questions to think about:
    - Will the CD on DS start when it's activated, or after you cast the spell?
    - How long will you have access to the copied spell?
    Last edited by Malthanis; 2010-07-16 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Forum software shenanigans

As patch after patch nerfed us into the ground, we became a support class in Arena. Just meant to Death Grip and Chains of Ice with our diseases spread is probably not what Blizzard intended with thier first Hero Class.
    How exactly do you know what they intended for Death Knights? What you are saying comes off as a 'Well its a hero class why aren't we better than everyone.' DKs were brought in line with other classes.

I gotta say I am excited about these changes and can't wait to try my DK in pvp come cata.

so i have a question will for example a deathknight who casts something on a warrior who has spell reflect up, while the dk has dark simulacram what will happen?

mages and spellsteal?