High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account

Rolling my goblin

So I'm definitely planning on rolling a Goblin come Cata, just haven't decided which class I want to roll. I'm kind of torn between a Hunter or a Mage, because I've never played either class. Racial abilities aside, I'm just curious for some input from anyone out there who has played either class as to how much fun to level these classes are, and any advice on getting used to controlling a pet. I've only ever put much time into an Ele Shaman and a Ret Pally, so the whole pet management thing is a complete unknown to me.

Just to reiterate, I'm not really looking for strategic input, just plain and simple how much fun it is to play either class and your personal reasons why. Thanks in advance!

You must remember to feed your pet!
    Or its damage goes down!

10+ Year Old Account
    I used to play a resto/balance druid and an ele/resto shaman before I got my hunter and I must say, out of all of those, I prefer my hunter.
    I've played ret pally too, not a fan personally.

But I'm rolling a Goblin too come Cata. Making it a hunter too Love my hunters.

10+ Year Old Account
    try a hunter
    they really changed them for the better

Shaman. 'nuff said.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Are hunters fun because of a lot of GCD management or high damage output (assuming a competent player is behind the keyboard, etc...) or what? The one thing that always kind of irked me about the whole pet thing is that it seems if you don't have a particular pet (say a cat or a wolf), you can't play to the best of your ability. If I play a hunter and want a spider or turtle or something, is it at all possible to be AS effective?

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Thralk View Post
    a lot of GCD management
    there's little or none. press everything and watch the mage/lock/warrior/paladin/druid/priest/death knight/rogue/shaman and other hunter die

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    And what about the pet thing? Is there a clear cut "good choice" for a pet while leveling or can you really have fun and be effective with whatever you want? I know that there are designated tank pets, dps pets, etc, which understandably you would change contextually, but if I REALLY felt like sticking with the _______ I get from where ever, could I feasibly stick with it for a while?

Hunter is e-z mode leveling. Mage is more intensive, you actually have to pay attention. Enjoy being a goblin, you should find the starting zone almost completely empty of other players.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Mage is more intensive, you actually have to pay attention.
    Which spec in particular? Having only put serious time into my Elemental Shaman and Ret Pally, I think what I'm looking for is a little more in the way of CD management and some variety in a rotation. Frost looks like it'd be fun because I've always been a fan of field control (while I was playing DND and a couple other table-top games), but from a strictly storyline/rp perspective I think Arcane looks really cool too. Any input, Bubbles?

10+ Year Old Account
    I would go Hunter, they get many interesting changes in Cata so they will probably be more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Thralk View Post
    Which spec in particular? Having only put serious time into my Elemental Shaman and Ret Pally, I think what I'm looking for is a little more in the way of CD management and some variety in a rotation. Frost looks like it'd be fun because I've always been a fan of field control (while I was playing DND and a couple other table-top games), but from a strictly storyline/rp perspective I think Arcane looks really cool too. Any input, Bubbles?
    I have leveled all 3 specs, frost is the most enjoyable, but the most intensive for attention. And yes it does have the most control, but also a huge amount of down time. When this expansion hits I will be doing frost again, just watch a few vids on youtube they show you everything you need.

Fire and arcane take much longer do the the lack of AoE.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubblykiss View Post
    Hunter is e-z mode leveling. Mage is more intensive, you actually have to pay attention. Enjoy being a goblin, you should find the starting zone almost completely empty of other players.
    at least he wont be surrounded by twilight fans, thats for sure!

I'll be rolling a priest, (worgen for my hunter), there about the only two left I'd like to get max level.
    With cataclysm they're trying to level out the pets all around so there shouldn't be one BEST pet to have.
    They should all have unique abilities that will make them useful. Search the forums here, lots of new info on cata pets.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    lol, 3 internets for you Drek

---------- Post added 2010-07-17 at 04:32 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Awz View Post
    With cataclysm they're trying to level out the pets all around so there shouldn't be one BEST pet to have.
    They should all have unique abilities that will make them useful.
    That is definitely good to know. It always seemed to be kind of lame that with the variety of cool animals there are in the game, that it came down to one or two being head and shoulders above the rest. If I want a rabid sea turtle or a ginormous crab and am willing to put the same time into leveling them up, then why shouldn't they be as competitive as a bear or a wolf? I will definitely have to look into those posts, as that was not something I was aware of. Thanks for the input! :-D