Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Lichfury View Post
    Old Gods only ever reveal themselves partially. With C'thun, we killed only the eye, with Yogg Saron, again, we only did some partial damage. They retreat, heal themselves, bide their time and re-emerge, perhaps most evident in places such as the Twilight Highlands where there's some odd tentacled being (which seems massive), emerging from the ground, very reminiscent of C'thun.
    Nope, C'thun is very much dead in lore - Status: Deceased[1] (lore), Killable (WoW)
    Taken from Wowwiki

I found a good picture of Tharizdun of his first state which can be seen as the darkness which created the elements.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/elderevils2.jpg

---------- Post added 2010-07-17 at 05:25 AM ----------

Brainstorm. What if it was Tharizdun that created Azeroth? Think about it. He is darkness, like in the picture above, releasing the elements. As Earth began to encase him the Old Gods were placed upon the planet in order to act as a prison and warden. He could have, in that state, been unable to release his fury, his rage. And the fire trapped within him caused him to become molten, like the last description given. The Elemental Lords, free from him, found free reign until the Old Gods suffered his coruption from being soo close to him for aeons and enslaved the Elemental Lords. After that the Titans came and saw this, trying to subdue and contain the Old Gods rather than kill them and make a hole big enough in the cage for Tharizdun to break free.

10+ Year Old Account
    i like killing off the old gods and the lore behind them and all, but i really don't see how people can place ANY old god above that of Sargeras. His presence alone is enough to burn a planet to cinder for miles, as stated in wowwiki. i believe he will, undoubtedly, be the last 'boss' before wow reaches its final conclusions. these old gods are nothing more than a path to strengthen players enough to even APPROACH him. as a matter of fact, i can say with absolute confidence than an entire army of level 85 players in their final tier would be instantly vaporized even attempting to approach this guy.

but that's the fun part, it's just lets imagine how many more challenges and adventures to take part in as wow's expansions move on. me, personally, i can't wait to step foot in the Dream.
    Last edited by Deathstroke; 2010-07-17 at 05:29 AM.
    Stormbringer Guild of Khadgar -- Join Now!
    www.stormbringer.guildzilla.com

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    i like killing off the old gods and the lore behind them and all, but i really don't see how people can place ANY old god above that of Sargeras. His presence alone is enough to burn a planet to cinder for miles, as stated in wowwiki. i believe he will, undoubtedly, be the last 'boss' before wow reaches its final conclusions. these old gods are nothing more than a path to strengthen players enough to even APPROACH him. as a matter of fact, i can say with absolute confidence than an entire army of level 85 players in their final tier would be instantly vaporized even attempting to approach him.s
    Keep in mind that Sargeras is JUST a Titan. Blizzard has said that the Titans arent as Godly as everyone makes them out to be and Sargeras is just a lone Titan. Given he is the single most powerful Titan in the universe but against, for example, all the Old Gods at once or the Pantheon he would die.

Also, he was scratched by a rust old axe carried by an Orc in outlands. He has no real presence to him, you can see him more like Deathwing but in the shape of a Titan.
    Last edited by Lolretadin; 2010-07-17 at 05:30 AM. Reason: Truth

10+ Year Old Account
    Amanthul said himself "Even the titans can succumb to the old gods" (he said it in a parable but thats what it ment), so sargeras might be less than or equal to the old gods

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolretadin View Post
    Keep in mind that Sargeras is JUST a Titan. Blizzard has said that the Titans arent as Godly as everyone makes them out to be and Sargeras is just a lone Titan. Given he is the single most powerful Titan in the universe but against, for example, all the Old Gods at once or the Pantheon he would die.

Also, he was scratched by a rust old axe carried by an Orc in outlands. He has no real presence to him, you can see him more like Deathwing but in the shape of a Titan.
    i don't think it's entirely fair to classify him as just a titan. even though he is, in fact, a titan, keep in mind that he has been corrupted, driven bat-shit insane and fueled by the demonic energies of the Twisting Nether for thousands of years now. i imagine the titans much like superman; unable to unleash their full fury due to having a sort of celestial moral code of sorts, in short, they "hold back". sargeras would be comparable to superboy prime, or a superman gone completely insane and using the full extent of his unbridled wrath -- i.e. earth shattering.

not to mention he commands a vast, unimaginable army of demons, spanning an innumerable amount of worlds. the dude's a badass mofo.
    Stormbringer Guild of Khadgar -- Join Now!
    www.stormbringer.guildzilla.com

15+ Year Old Account
    I found a good picture of Tharizdun of his first state which can be seen as the darkness which created the elements.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/elderevils2.jpg

---------- Post added 2010-07-17 at 05:25 AM ----------

Brainstorm. What if it was Tharizdun that created Azeroth? Think about it. He is darkness, like in the picture above, releasing the elements. As Earth began to encase him the Old Gods were placed upon the planet in order to act as a prison and warden. He could have, in that state, been unable to release his fury, his rage. And the fire trapped within him caused him to become molten, like the last description given. The Elemental Lords, free from him, found free reign until the Old Gods suffered his coruption from being soo close to him for aeons and enslaved the Elemental Lords. After that the Titans came and saw this, trying to subdue and contain the Old Gods rather than kill them and make a hole big enough in the cage for Tharizdun to break free.
    That doesn't make any sense, since the Titans wouldn't have fostered life on a planet with that big of an evil on it. The reason why the titans didn't want to wipe out the old gods was because they had already started life on azeroth.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Interesting comparison. "World made of cardboard" was one of the few times I really liked superman. I recall it being implied that there may be Outer Gods as well, they could easily rival a titan as they may not have been bound.
    "Care about 'er? I love her! I'd kill everyone in the world and myself if she wanted it!"

Yep I agree, the end boss in the game will be Sargeras, he is the ultimate mastermind behind EVERYTHING in WoW. From the coming of the orcs. to the 1-3rd demon invasions. The old gods are grains of dust below his iron heel. But I do like the old gods a lot more, I would prefer an ultimate old god as the final boss. But I think that people make the old gods to be more than they are. They are parasites in a world yes they are unimaginably powerful, but they aren't as strong as a titan, and titans aren't godmode beings.

Yes the titans couldn't kill the old gods, but that was only because they didn't want to destroy azeroth. Imagine the planet as a face. The old gods are warts. Their roots go deep, and if you remove them, you get a nasty scar. That is how the old gods work in relation to the planet. The scar being destruction of the planet. But I think we have grown so accustomed to all the plots and things in game being somewhat orchestrated by the old gods, we use them as an explanation for everything we don't know yet.

Tentacles in ashenvale. ZOMG OLD GODZ!!!! Night Elves going insane in an area in tirisfal glades, ZOMG OLD GODZ!!!!. Blizzard just needs to stop having tentacles ALWAYS mean old gods, and to make old gods more of what they should be. Not have a ton of them have a couple and let them be the unseen figures behind it all.

Anyone who likes the hellboy comics, The Ogdru Jahad, the seven dragons, they don't do anything in the story, but at the same time, without them there is no story, they have influenced everything in the comics, yet they don't do anything. That is how the old gods in the game should be like unseen, unheard of, complete evil. Bent on destruction of the world. It seems now like old gods are becoming "just another boss".

Oh hey l00k guyzzz I see a big organic cave with teeth and tentacles in a beta picture, zomg i bet we r is gon kill teh old gawdz. I would lmfao if blizzard made all this tentacle stuff popping up just some kind of strange sentient plantlife, or some other creature, in no way related to the old gods, just similar because they didn't care to make a new model for it. The old gods are getting boring, there is so little about them and way to much speculation. If blizzard finally just released some damn info on them and cleared up half the speculation that dark side gets wrong, I would finally be interested in them again.

Speculation is good, but it gets old when there is nothing to really speculate except far fetched obviously not true theories which are based off of assumptions with no basis. I want some "meat" to dissect to create a valid potentially realistic theory about the old gods. Not something completely made up to explain something only blizzard knows of, and even now I bet they have no idea where they want to take the old gods storyline.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    That doesn't make any sense, since the Titans wouldn't have fostered life on a planet with that big of an evil on it. The reason why the titans didn't want to wipe out the old gods was because they had already started life on azeroth.
    There isnt really a reason other than the Curse of Flesh. And saying it makes no sense is fairly daft since regardless of whether or not it it a huge prison they built life there with the Old Gods on it. So its like saying "I wasnt going to have sex with her becasue she had HIV, but then I found out it was only herpies."

---------- Post added 2010-07-17 at 07:09 AM ----------

This is all just speculation. It all makes sense and fits in lore perspective, given it is a bit of a twist. You also have to realize that saying Sargeras is the final boss is also just speculation. He is, as said before, just a Titan. Titans can fall prey to the Old Gods and Sargeras is no exception. You also dont seem to know much about the demon invasions. Sargeras took part in the first demon invasion, the War of the Ancients, but had no real role in there other than supplying demons. Azshara did everything. The first invasion of the Orcs was planned by Sargeras, but again he did nothing other than open the portal for the Orcs. The second invasion had nothing to do with Sargeras. The third invasion was Kil'jaeden, again, with no help from Sargeras. Also the ONE time he goes to outlands and is attacked by an Orc, hes scratched. That Orc was no different from any other, using old rusted weapons. Sargeras is not godly, he is just like every other Titan. He is to the Titans what Deathwing is to the Aspects. If he were to fight them 1v1 he would win. Any more than that he would lose. On top of that the Old Gods as a whole wouldnt stand for Sargeras being on Azeroth and, sorry to tell you, the Old Gods + Elemental Lords + Elementals > Sargeras + Burning Legion.

---------- Post added 2010-07-17 at 07:11 AM ----------

One more thing, if you dont like speculation then you shouldnt be looking up lore posts. The Old Gods, like the Cthulhu Gods, are not meant to give absolute truths. Thats what made the Cthulhu Mythos Gods soo terrifying. Its not the known that scares people, its the unknown. And, in the Old Gods case, the unknown is just as fun as the known because there are near endless possiblities.

Quote Originally Posted by Warchief94 View Post
    Nope, C'thun is very much dead in lore - Status: Deceased[1] (lore), Killable (WoW)
    Taken from Wowwiki
    No form of wiki page is a viable source for facts and truth. ANYONE can edit it.

And no, C'thun is not dead. First, he has sort of merged with Cho'Gall. Second, when Cho'Gall captured Med'an, he threw him (Med'an) on top of C'thun's body. Med'an then heard C'thun whispering him, trying to brainwash and make him insane, which failed, but it was very unpleasant for him. I don't think we have seen the last of C'thun.

Quote Originally Posted by Snorri View Post
    No form of wiki page is a viable source for facts and truth. ANYONE can edit it.

And no, C'thun is not dead. First, he has sort of merged with Cho'Gall. Second, when Cho'Gall captured Med'an, he threw him (Med'an) on top of C'thun's body. Med'an then heard C'thun whispering him, trying to brainwash and make him insane, which failed, but it was very unpleasant for him. I don't think we have seen the last of C'thun.
    To be fair, Cho'gall DID have to ressurect him because we "killed" him.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side View Post
    But assuming elune is the moon, and the eartmother is like the sun or something (i dont know tauren lore), then the thing chained to those two would be....azeroth
    hmm about elune and the tauren god that sun god,that some after you said, i remeber reading a theory that those 2 are lost naaru that crashed (or somehow got to azeroth) on azeroth in ancient times

and about the old god that is chained by the other gods uhm well i think it may have some thruth to it

but i think that is a leading god that will wake up when the others are dealt with. It may be chained by the other gods but it may also be possible that parts or him his consiousnes divided among the parts we fight and that when we have defeated those parts those parts of his consiousnes will retreat back to his main body that will only wake up when all parts have come back to it.

Also i think that after a few parts have come back to him he may start to wake up and in time will be able to call back the remaining parts himself, and with that he will be fully awake and be free in his actions

Although I understand where you are coming from Natova about the Old Gods all being a piece of the chained God's conciousness, it wouldn't work very well. The reason it wouldn't is because the Old Gods don't really want to die or stay dead. For example, Cho'gall was rewarded for ressurecting C'thun because C'thun wanted to be brought back to the physical plane. If they were a part of the chained God then they would want to go back so they could break free from their eternal bonds and be free. Given they might not want to, but if they are part of its conciousness then they wouldn't be able to escape it once they die and would be assimilated back into its being. Hence why I think they are more corrupted wardens/prisons. Seeing as what happened in Ulduar, it isn't a too far fetched theory. Also the Old Gods, supposedly, are soo deeply rooted that their tentacles can reach other parts of the world, which I wouldnt doubt. And if you were to look at all the tangled "roots" of the Old Gods it would very well look like it would be able to contain something.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Curious how many Old Gods there will end up being.

Quote Originally Posted by Snorri View Post

oh god how i hope you are wrong seriously if i ever have to kill a big eyeball again im gonna make a five million word QQ letter to blizzard

Quote Originally Posted by Thedann View Post
    Curious how many Old Gods there will end up being.
    There should only be about 5 or 6.

Also the ONE time he goes to outlands and is attacked by an Orc, hes scratched. That Orc was no different from any other, using old rusted weapons. Sargeras is not godly, he is just like every other Titan.

Some clarification.

Sargaeras was appointed by Pantheon to basically be the military force of he Titans. He wielded the single most powerful weapon in all of the universe. Then he went apeshit. His corruption magnified his power to the point that his fellow Titan who was his lieutenant and was tasked to prevent destruction caused by Sargeras (don't remember the name), is afraid to face him. Sargeras commands LEGIONS of demons and his mere presence incinerates things in a massive fucking radius.

Now.

This "orc" you're talking about is Broxigar Saurfang. And it wasn't invasion on Outland. Broxigar was somehow ported back in time to War of The Ancients where he met Tyrande and Malfurion. Malfurion crafted for him enchanted axe made specifically to slay demons. The moment Sargeras was struck, it wasn't during simple invasion during which he was ganked. Broxigar willingly went through the portal to the realm of Burning Legion to give Malfurion time to close this very portal. There he slew so many demons that after some time he was standing on a massive pile of their bodies. When Sargeras came (and let me remind you of his aura that reduces pretty much everything to ashes), it was then that Broxigar jumped him and slashed his leg, allowing Malfurion to launch an assault and close the portal.

So yeah, that wasn't just an ordinary orc with rusty axe.

God, I'm such a lore nazi.
    Last edited by Grimsdott; 2010-07-17 at 10:46 AM.

Deleted
    Old Gods were planing to bring Sargeras on Azeroth who would then cause enough damage to free them.They would proceed to stomp him and everything else after.From War of the Ancients.

10+ Year Old Account
    Grimsdott: remember in the same novel as you mentioned they said sargeras would beg for his life vs the old gods
    According to harbinger Skyriss the old gods exists in many worlds and to quote the quest Harbinger of doom, "One in particular, a servant of the Old Gods known as Harbinger Skyriss, seeks to usher in his masters' vision of conquering all of the worlds in the universe." They got high ambitions.
    Also take note that the elemental plane portals is also in a pentagram(fifth one being the great tree below Dalaran not yet ingame). For my guess we will see 2 old gods, 1 for a prelude for the next expansion and the other is the one we will fight this xpac.