Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

is icc hard to tank?

Ok so i have decent gear for tanking 41,3k hp UB, but the thing im wondering about how easy is it to go from healer to tank in icc? when it comes to tanking im a bit nervous about just jumping in.. ive tanked toc10 and 25 voa 10 and 25 without alot of trouble, but icc has still eluded my in tanking.
    any tips on how to be the best i can be?

Just read up so you know how to build threat, and be sure to know tactics for tanks. Profit, it's not hard with the buff.
    When I want to log out, where's the save button? I can't find it anywhere, been logged in for three years now.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's very easy to tank. But what makes stuff more difficult (I'm not saying hard) is when you do have to do stuff while tanking.

AMON AMARTH \m/

ok on a serious note ICC is actually fairly simple to tank in general. Just requires a lot of paying attention to everything going on (just like tanking anything). Some bosses have some tricks to tanking depending on strategies and raid difficulty. Best to read up on the fights on tankspot.com (amazing site for anything to do with tanking). I can throw a couple tips I have found for tanking in there on each boss.

Marrowgar - My group has all DPS stack on his butt so only tanks dodge fire. It helps if you give the OT some advance notice on which direction you are going to move first

Deathwhisper - Joke of a fight. Mostly tank and spank. Only caution is if an add becomes deformed be ready to kite immediately. These really hurt. reg 10m she is tauntable so the touch of insignificance debuff is more of a nuisance than anything else. on 25m she isn't tauntable so be ready to have to switch tanks based on threat.

Gunship - again stupid fight but if you tank on the opposing factions ship during freeze don't do anything like taunt in mid air. this tends to cause him to evade and you risk DPS dying that are killing the sorceress. Also on the strategy I use I tank him at the adge of the ship so healers are in range of everybody. Make sure you are first on opposing boat and last off.

Saurfang - Watch for rune of blood and be ready to taunt when the other tank gets the debuff. Simple

Festergut - be ready to throw cooldowns when he has 2-3 inhale stacks

Rotface - I never kite the oozes so I'm not a lot of help here. standard tank and spank if you are on rotface

Putricide - Due to numerous strategies available I won't go into this one

Blood princes - For this fight we have one tank on the shadow orb guy and the other tank is on the other 2 (no warlock tank). BE AWARE OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS! Avoid shock vortex's at all costs. If you happen to tank the shadow dude get some initial threat since he is never first then start chasing down orbs. you want 4-5 orbs on you. Avoid AOE damage attacks such as thunderclap, death and decay, or consecration to prevent these orbs from being killed. when your boss mods tell you a switch is incoming switch back and go nuts on threat generation. If you are on the 2 at once just AOE tank. no challenge here but watch your health.

Blood queen - Tank and spank. If you are the OT stack as much stamina as possible and run in with the tank to ensure you get blood mirror on you. then DPS as best you can.

Valithria - Blazings need to die so be ready to call them out when they spawn. with the aboms turn them away from people to minimize how many people get diseased. save your AOE threat for the worms that spawn from their corpses.

Finally Sindragosa - the main thing here is to watch your debuffs (phase 2) and communicate with the other tank. Have 415 Frost resist (some groups run with less due to overgearing the content). When she sucks everyone in for that AOE attack I move forward to just underneath her. She has a habit of wanting to move forward after the attack and by moving under her you minimize that movement.

Lich King - I'm not really going to go into this one. I ahve only killed him about 4 times and I always off tank. Strategies vary a lot here so it's a good idea to read on this one or talk to tanks in your guild to get some input.

Personally from my experience all tanking is pretty similar it's just a matter of positioning, threat generation, and damage mitigation. If you can handle all 3 of these then you are fine for the most part.

thanks for all the useful info :d hope i can put in to use asap

10+ Year Old Account
    Its not hard to tank learn the tactics and be aware of ur enviroment and cds

All tanking is hard by nature since a lot of the time you have to go against your base instincts of moving from an attack. What makes it seem easy is skill and that is what separates the many classes of tanks. You need to have confidence your abilities and to learn how to bounce back from a wipe. All great tanks have wiped, the ones who haven't are the scrubs who rage quit at the first sign of trouble. Have your head on a swivel so you can catch trouble before it makes it to the party and never get cocky. Each class has its own talents and abilities that will save your ass from sudden death and each has its own specialty.
    When you see someone say that it is easy then ignore them because they can't give you the information you will need as a new tank to the encounters. I have been tank, healer, melee dps, and ranged dps in ICC, each has its own feel and problems. Go in as off tank the first few times and see how you do, there is no substitute for actually trying.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...ne&cn=Kalandri

here is my palatank, which hit lvl80 during the night between july 13th&14th.

I levelled through donjon finder, si i allready got a tanking experience.

I started to tank ICC friday in a pug (with 40.1k pv with BoSanctuary.) it went pretty smooth, with 10 boss down, the other tank was a poorly stuffed feral druide, in its 1st raid too.

It is not difficult if you know strategies, and if everyone pays attention. Be carefull to use your cooldown when needed (your healers have to move for example). I was the 1st Main tank this afternoon on a 9 boss PuG in ICC25, was really smooth too. don't be afraid, with the 25% buff, i was@60k hp this afternoon (before getting the trinket and the belt i've got on armory.

good luck!

Ok so i just got in to a icc 10 raid 7 bosses. lets hope i do a good job

The only boss in ICC that could be considered "difficult" to tank would be LK, and that's moreso on heroic.

The others will seem challenging at first but they become quite boring after you've done them a few times.

Also, for Sindragosa dont run into her when she casts blistering; stay where you are and "shuffle" left to right repeatedly. For P3 and heroic I run out of blistering range and start running back in when the cast is almost done. That tends to work as well while not taking any damage from blistering.

Yeah, but you have tanked VoA, so it should be a walk in the park, right ?

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Epiclurker View Post
    All tanking is hard by nature since a lot of the time you have to go against your base instincts of moving from an attack.
    I started out as a tank. My base nature is to eat the attack. Which makes it more difficult for me to dps.

Tanking ICC (normal modes) is not very different from tanking T7 Naxx, for the base skills involved. No, wait, Naxx was harder.

i dont find icc that hard to tank (tanked up till LK hc) however some fights have some things to be aware off mostly taunt the boss off the other tank and so on still tanking the places is not exactly a walk in the park but its not that much harder than totc imo.

I find ICC one of the easier raid instances to tank aside from LK even he's not that difficult. In terms of difficulty I'd say Ulduar is the most difficult, naxx and icc tie, eoe, ToC, OS. Have yet to do RS since im on a summer holiday

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Memory View Post
    Tanking ICC (normal modes) is not very different from tanking T7 Naxx, for the base skills involved. No, wait, Naxx was harder.
    Which fights? Grobbulus maybe? Tanking LK is substantially more difficult than tanking any fight in Naxx. Naxx tanking was typically a straight forward tank and spank because the Naxx fights were designed in Vanilla, when bosses weren't even remotely as complex or challenging.

---------- Post added 2010-07-18 at 10:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Gps View Post
    I find ICC one of the easier raid instances to tank aside from LK even he's not that difficult. In terms of difficulty I'd say Ulduar is the most difficult, naxx and icc tie, eoe, ToC, OS. Have yet to do RS since im on a summer holiday
    Which fights in Ulduar would you say are difficult to tank? Maybe Mimiron. The rest are easy.

As off tank ICC10 is pretty easy tank even on my first run. I had 27k hps self buffed in bear and managed to tank it (in a guild run) up to sindra. One shotting every boss ont he way. I was carried for 9 ppl yes, but I did have to tank every boss.

Read up tacs for a general idea and check with guild how they run it. Usually with a few slight changes here and there.

Tanking is hard again ? Where ? What ?

Seriously, as long as you know the boss mechanics, you are fine. Trash is just the same as your daily random hero. Run in, AoE, loot, continue.
    Ecce homo ergo elk

Sucks druid tanking because of the 20% dodge debuff

If you can tank heroic FoS you can tank icc