Flying in Azeroth....

So i am not in the Beta but i see videos of people flying all over in Cata and have not heard any cost or quest or anything linked it to. I am guessing Blizzard will make it a gold sink like always but what is going to be the reason? Does anyone know?

Its prolly going to be something like you need Special Flying Documentation due to strict flight zones

Its free as soon as you install Cataclysm.

really? is that official?

If it's not just a beta privalage so it's easier to explore and get to places, then yeah, it's free.

Quote Originally Posted by Majesco View Post
    So i am not in the Beta but i see videos of people flying all over in Cata and have not heard any cost or quest or anything linked it to. I am guessing Blizzard will make it a gold sink like always but what is going to be the reason? Does anyone know?

Its prolly going to be something like you need Special Flying Documentation due to strict flight zones
    Blizzard has already stated in one of their developer chats in the past that flying in the old world will NOT cost anything. So no, it will not be a gold sink.

What annoys me is that ground mounts promote socialization and pvp... flying all over makes you feel very alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Majesco View Post

Cold weather flying = flying in azeroth. Not confirmed but it seems the most logical choice as blizzard said they weren't going to make you spend more money to fly in azeroth besides all the money you already spend on cold weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Mewmix View Post
    Cold weather flying = flying in azeroth. Not confirmed but it seems the most logical choice as blizzard said they weren't going to make you spend more money to fly in azeroth besides all the money you already spend on cold weather.
    You say that like cold weather flying was a major purchase. 1kg is piecemeal these days, even if you aren't trying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Prolly will be free as soon as you install Cata.
    But if it ends up costing like 500G thats cool too because who doesn't have 500 G right? right? *cries* I need to start saving.

Cold weather flying to fly in Azeroth makes no sense. I think it's like, if you learn to fly in Outland, you can fly in Azeroth
    Pandaren Warrior - Lv 95, full T17
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonus View Post
    Since this was early in the patch, we decided to go with the 4 tank strat. We ask him to go tank Lord Mograine. He then instantly tells us that "he cannot tank the godfather of DK's, it wouldnt be right to raise my axe against him". He instantly gquits and hearths out.

good....it should be free. they are rebuiling azeroth the right way

"Warmer Weather Flying but not Outland Warmer"
    Stormrage US | Aesryn

from what i've heard it'll be as soon as you train regular flying, which would mean you could fly around azeroth at level 58 or 60, whatever level they let you train that now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

It is apparent that Blizz screwed up hard on Wrath's gold sinks(being mounts, flying training and craftables.) Sure some of the mounts are huge gold sinks, and the craftables are still the massive sinks they've always been. But mounts were never anything more than cosmetic and craftables just aren't entirely worth it after they gave craftable end-game items nerfs to avoid being more attractive than raiding items. (That has been largely fixed in 3.2 on but compared to how easy the gear is to get it's still not worth it.)

I'm thinking that the guild levelling perks are now intended to be the major gold sink. If I'm reading the front page correctly, you're going to have to have get rep in your guild, which you seem to get by doing things that would give XP to your guild level. Then you have to buy the perks.

What a wonderful way to kill off alts entirely. And you thought that the levelling zones were empty NOW, just wait until everyone realizes that they can't get perks like bountiful bags, working overtime, fast track or mr popularity on an alt until they've run endgame content(though I imagine it's only the top end stuff that will be rep-required.) I do wonder though, is a guild's GM going to get a break on the rep thing? Or are they going to start out emo and slowly build their self-confidence until they are exalted with themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by allforone View Post
    It is apparent that Blizz screwed up hard on Wrath's gold sinks(being mounts, flying training and craftables.) Sure some of the mounts are huge gold sinks, and the craftables are still the massive sinks they've always been. But mounts were never anything more than cosmetic and craftables just aren't entirely worth it after they gave craftable end-game items nerfs to avoid being more attractive than raiding items. (That has been largely fixed in 3.2 on but compared to how easy the gear is to get it's still not worth it.)

I'm thinking that the guild levelling perks are now intended to be the major gold sink. If I'm reading the front page correctly, you're going to have to have get rep in your guild, which you seem to get by doing things that would give XP to your guild level. Then you have to buy the perks.

What a wonderful way to kill off alts entirely. And you thought that the levelling zones were empty NOW, just wait until everyone realizes that they can't get perks like bountiful bags, working overtime, fast track or mr popularity on an alt until they've run endgame content(though I imagine it's only the top end stuff that will be rep-required.) I do wonder though, is a guild's GM going to get a break on the rep thing? Or are they going to start out emo and slowly build their self-confidence until they are exalted with themselves.
    I think you're way off. Gold sinks were meant to drain gold from the economy. Which they do - all of the gold sinks at Wrath launch are still gold sinks, and they even added some extra ones. Just because they're cosmetic doesn't mean they aren't worth it. Look at motorcycles, vendor mounts, etc. People are still buying them, and will continue to do so.

You'll have to buy the perks after your guild earns them, but I don't see them being super expensive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dunno about your server, but on mine the 200 crafted epics still sell well.

I... what?

Did you even bother reading before saying such an asinine thing? Anything you do grows the guild and earns standing, not just end game content. Everyone 1 to 85 (and beyond!) will contribute and gain from the guild, otherwise the +XP perks would be really... really retarded to exist, as +XP does nothing for an 85.

Questing, instancing, raiding, PVP, etc. - ALL ways to help the guild (and by that standing, earn rep - otherwise it'd be retarded to help the guild grow and NOT get anything back). I am boggled at the lack of comprehension. So I help level the guild with my main, and continue to do so through my alts, earning rep with actions that would assist the guild's level (and such, as it will eventually cap), and then purchase what I want.

(No I'm not in beta, but some of the perks make NO sense if it's end-game only - particularly the +XP one.)

While we are talking about flying in Azeroth. Can you fly over enemy cities and drop down? Or are there guards in the air? I hope so. Otherwise a whole raid of enemy players can drop down from the sky and zerg the leader, then fly away. Enemy players could also fly over the city and look down for players that are flagged for pvp and gank them.

Quote Originally Posted by Snorri View Post
    While we are talking about flying in Azeroth. Can you fly over enemy cities and drop down? Or are there guards in the air? I hope so. Otherwise a whole raid of enemy players can drop down from the sky and zerg the leader, then fly away. Enemy players could also fly over the city and look down for players that are flagged for pvp and gank them.
    A whole raid of enemy players can just run in and zerg the leader nowadays. I imagine that the cities will have a no fly zone similar to Dalaran. Maybe faction specific.