Sinestra Cutter Orbs

My guild is working on Sinestra, and occasionally we have an issue where one of the Twilight Cutter Orbs doesn't attach to anyone, and just kind of roams free in the middle of the raid wiping everyone. My question is, what are the main causes for an orb to not target anyone and wander through the raid? At the very least, minimizing the possibility of this happening would be a great help.

*Mirror Images
    *Hand of Salvation
    *Any kind of threat drop and/or immunity while the Orbs are coming out, Bubble, Ice Block, Feign Death, etc.

Mirror Images is almost always the cause, have your Arcane mages take it out of their macros. Only use it during P2 when on the eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by Matik View Post
    Mirror Images is almost always the cause, have your Arcane mages take it out of their macros. Only use it during P2 when on the eggs.
    This and when whelps spawned our healing priest would use fade and the cutter would go nuts, everything else was a rare but unfortunate occurrence until we figured out it was aggro based

Thanks for the help everyone, the disconnecting of the cutter orbs has seemed to stop! Much appreciated.

Deleted
    Blink also caused it once for us. I estimate a warlock portal can trigger it as well so I refrain from using my portal in P1 and P3.

Warlock portal has never caused me problems

and neither has blink

Deleted
    Unless blink/ teleport reduces threat, it should not be causing orbs to go nuts from what I know.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Never seen blink having a negative impact on the orbs.

But yeah, avoid stuff like fade. We've had Sinestra on farm for over two months and our priests still occasionally dare press their fade button, which in worst case ends in chaos.

Blink didn't ever detach an orb from me when targeted. Neither did a warlock portal from our warlocks.

Deleted
    Priest "fade" also gives problems if used at the wrong time.

Someone mentioned it, but we too have had orbs drop off when one of our mages uses blink. He suspects the cause to be that he is glyphed for it giving him an extra 5 yards and getting just a little too far away, although he has wiped us 1 too many times and isn't too interested in experimentation. Our locks drop their portals just a few yards behind the group giving them a quick way out, but plenty of room to run the orbs. Thus far, portals have not been an issue.

And of course, I can confirm threat drop mechanics to cause the issue. Our resto druid was getting beaten on by whelps and someone BoPed him, sending the orb spinning around the room. Our priest has also faded whelps at the wrong time and done the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin FTW View Post
    Warlock portal has never caused me problems

and neither has blink
    until i joke about lag and then lag out and hear orb on ignis.

Quote Originally Posted by tilgare View Post
    Someone mentioned it, but we too have had orbs drop off when one of our mages uses blink. He suspects the cause to be that he is glyphed for it giving him an extra 5 yards and getting just a little too far away, although he has wiped us 1 too many times and isn't too interested in experimentation. Our locks drop their portals just a few yards behind the group giving them a quick way out, but plenty of room to run the orbs. Thus far, portals have not been an issue.

And of course, I can confirm threat drop mechanics to cause the issue. Our resto druid was getting beaten on by whelps and someone BoPed him, sending the orb spinning around the room. Our priest has also faded whelps at the wrong time and done the same thing.
    And I can confirm that BoP does NOT do what you are saying.

BoP is not a threat drop. BoP stops you from taking all physical damage, so it's not a complete immunity either. I've BoP'd myself many times because I got targeted by orbs while whelps were dazing me so that the daze effect would stop, and the line that connects you and the orb will go away but the Orb still follows you.

Idunno what you guys are talking about but BoP does not screw up Orbs.
    Last edited by Weightless; 2011-06-06 at 03:05 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Matik View Post
    Have to disagree with this. Just have your mages use mirror image right away in the start and it'll run out before the first orbs.

Quote Originally Posted by tilgare View Post
    Someone mentioned it, but we too have had orbs drop off when one of our mages uses blink. He suspects the cause to be that he is glyphed for it giving him an extra 5 yards and getting just a little too far away, although he has wiped us 1 too many times and isn't too interested in experimentation.
    I have blink glyphed and I've never experienced orbs dropping off, and i use blink every time i get an orb on me. Same with 3 other mages in my guild, although mirror image can indeed bug the orbs.
    Last edited by mmoc2abd8d08e4; 2011-06-06 at 02:47 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Orbs will stay on you regardless how far away you go. All our mages use blink, and all of our warlocks use demonic portal.

Ive not had issues with portal dropping the orb, but port/demon leap mean that you dont spot the orbs on you until the beam connects to you as it begins moving.

Trying to drag it out of the ranged whilst 40 yds in front of it is no easy task.

Needless to say a wipe resulted as i couldnt move fast enough to drag it out at a great enough tangent.

Moral of the story, dont use movement abilities as orbs spawn, run manually until you know its not on you, then do those crazy jump/blink type things.

Quote Originally Posted by Elizaelrama View Post
    Ive not had issues with portal dropping the orb, but port/demon leap mean that you dont spot the orbs on you until the beam connects to you as it begins moving.

Trying to drag it out of the ranged whilst 40 yds in front of it is no easy task.

Needless to say a wipe resulted as i couldnt move fast enough to drag it out at a great enough tangent.

Moral of the story, dont use movement abilities as orbs spawn, run manually until you know its not on you, then do those crazy jump/blink type things.
    I don't think you have to drag it. It just goes to you if it is connected to you, it will keep moving to you until it is right on top of you, regardless of how far away you are. I know this because as a healer, (especially as a H Pal where I have to hard cast everything) I usually Rocket Boots to the left as soon as I get it, and I stay off to the side and keep spamming DL for a few seconds until the Orb gets close to me and then do the little spinny dance thing with my partner.

Our ranged + healers generally stay on the right side close to path of the right egg in p1 + p3. OT is in back /w whelps. Healers are near the back a bit as they generally get initial agro from whelps so OT can pick them up easily.

Ideally when the orbs spawn and if it's generally close to you, you GTFO of the way instantly. If I see its close to me I'll move to the left into the open space and begin making my way to the second orb to close the gap and kite. This strat just allows for less RNG deaths on the beam. You have serious issues if you have trouble kiting the orb itself and should not be doing the encounter.

I just blink to the other side of the room and stand there dpsing a bit while I wait for the orb to catch up :P

Mages ftw!

Quote Originally Posted by Weightless
    I usually Rocket Boots to the left as soon as I get it
    I often wondered but I havent' seen it happen yet, what happens to the orb if the boots fail and send you flying into the air, does it follow you?
    Last edited by Grondath; 2011-06-06 at 04:06 PM.