Thread: Which computer?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Which computer?

I would post a link, but I'm not allowed to yet so ill just explain.

Both laptop's are identical with the exceptions listed below.

Computer A: 500 GB hard drive, 2.1 processor speed

Computer B: 320 GB hard drive, 2.26 processor speed

is the processor speed significant enough to effect gameplay? I plan on playing wow with this computer.
    Last edited by ReHaZe; 2010-07-20 at 12:55 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Processor is almost everything for WoW. A bigger question than speed is what type of processor those two have.

Computer A : AMD Phenom II Triple-Core N830 (2.1)

Computer B : Intel Core i3 350M (2.26)

---------- Post added 2010-07-20 at 03:17 AM ----------

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ReHaZe View Post

---------- Post added 2010-07-20 at 03:17 AM ----------

Computer B, but you would be much better with an I5 Quad core rather than that for wow. If you can afford it i suggest you look for one with that processor, it will make a big difference to how wow runs on your system.

15+ Year Old Account
    I agree with Computer B out of those options also. No video card was listed for either, so it's tough to actually make a decision, though. Also, even the i3 is a bit weak, especially in a laptop.

Listing full specs is a much better way to get a more accurate answer.

After getting the advice y'all just gave me I looked around on newegg some more, I think I found one that acceptable

---------- Post added 2010-07-20 at 04:23 PM ----------

After getting this advice I looked into some other computers. I think the one I found wasn't there before but here's its specs.

Model
    Brand Gateway
    Model NV79C47u
    Part# LX.WK402.002 Genera

Color
    Silk Silver

Operating System
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

CPU Type
    Intel Core i5 450M(2.4GHz)

Screen
    17.3"

Memory Size
    4GB DDR3

Hard Disk
    500GB

Optical Drive
    DVD Super Mult

Graphics Card
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650

Communication
    Gigabit LAN and WLAN

Battery Life
    3.6 hours

Dimensions
    16.30" x 10.80" x 1.07" - 1.35"

Deleted
    After getting the advice y'all just gave me I looked around on newegg some more, I think I found one that acceptable

---------- Post added 2010-07-20 at 04:23 PM ----------

After getting this advice I looked into some other computers. I think the one I found wasn't there before but here's its specs.

Model
    Brand Gateway
    Model NV79C47u
    Part# LX.WK402.002 Genera

Color
    Silk Silver

Operating System

CPU Type
    Intel Core i5 450M(2.4GHz)

Screen
    17.3"

Memory Size
    4GB DDR3

Hard Disk
    500GB

Optical Drive
    DVD Super Mult

Graphics Card
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650

Communication
    Gigabit LAN and WLAN

Battery Life
    3.6 hours

Dimensions
    16.30" x 10.80" x 1.07" - 1.35"
    Better, but thats a Dual core I5, not a quad :P i5 650 your after ( i think ), pretty sure i5 650 or anything above is quad

I don't know its hard to look at because there's such things as intel core 2 duo , intel core 2 quad?

Also, I can't find any with relation to i5 and quad together.
    Last edited by ReHaZe; 2010-07-20 at 10:06 PM.

Deleted
    I don't know its hard to look at because there's such things as intel core 2 duo , intel core 2 quad?

Also, I can't find any with relation to i5 and quad together.
    It wont say intel core i5 quad - Ingore core 2 duo, ignore Core 2 quad, your looking at an i5 650 (or anything above 650) depending on how much money u have.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Warchief94 View Post
    It wont say intel core i5 quad - Ingore core 2 duo, ignore Core 2 quad, your looking at an i5 650 (or anything above 650) depending on how much money u have.
    There are no quad core mobile i5's. There are hyperthreaded dual core mobile i5's, but no actual quad cores.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    There are no quad core mobile i5's. There are hyperthreaded dual core mobile i5's, but no actual quad cores.
    Ah, forgot about it being a laptop ^^

Well if that's the case, what should I be aiming for as far as proccessors go?

How much greater is an i7? From what I see the price jumps around 250 dollars is it that big of an upgrade?
    Last edited by ReHaZe; 2010-07-21 at 01:05 AM.

Deleted
    Well if that's the case, what should I be aiming for as far as proccessors go?

How much greater is an i7? From what I see the price jumps around 250 dollars is it that big of an upgrade?
    I actually asked cilraaz about this the otherday, apparantly, the main difference is that the i7 uses Hypherthreading and Triple channel memory, the i5 doesnt. Wow will not fill a hyperthreaded quad core, and so the i5 and i7 should, with similar clock speeds, perform very similar. Basically, the i7 will perform amazingly in high end games that support hyperthreaded quad cores, and will do for some time. The i5 is still very good, but the i7 is that little bit better, but it is also a fair bit more expensive.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Warchief94 View Post
    I actually asked cilraaz about this the otherday, apparantly, the main difference is that the i7 uses Hypherthreading and Triple channel memory, the i5 doesnt. Wow will not fill a hyperthreaded quad core, and so the i5 and i7 should, with similar clock speeds, perform very similar. Basically, the i7 will perform amazingly in high end games that support hyperthreaded quad cores, and will do for some time. The i5 is still very good, but the i7 is that little bit better, but it is also a fair bit more expensive.
    Again, that applies to desktops, not laptops.

Well that puts the i7 out for me really, I playh more console games than computer games, wow is really the only game I've spent a good deal of time on the computer playing.

But, I have two computers in mind in addition to the computer I've already listed. I don't know if there not as good or if the cores make a difference, but here they are.

Item# N82E16834101230* N82E16834115793* N82E16834115792
    Model# NV79C47u* AS7551G-5407* AS7551G-582
    Brand. Gateway* Acer* Acer
    Part# LX.WK402.002* LX.PXF02.045* LX.PXF02.049
    CPU Intel Core i5 450M(2.4GHz). * AMD Phenom II Triple-Core N830 AMD Phenom II Quad-Core N930 2.1G 2.0G
    Screen 17.3"
    Memory Size 4GB DDR
    Hard Disk 500GB
    Optical Drive DVD Super Mult
    Graphics Card ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650
    Communication Gigabit LAN and WLAN
    Battery Life 3.6 hours* 2.7 hours* 2.7 hours

If something is only listed once its the same for all 3 computers

I had it all evenly spaved but when I posted it all of it got jumbled, but really the only difference is the proccessors and brands

---------- Post added 2010-07-21 at 03:35 PM ----------

Cilraaz if that's for desktops then are they better in laptops for wow?
    Last edited by ReHaZe; 2010-07-21 at 03:33 PM.

Yes desktops are better for everything than laptops.

The issue with laptops an wow is that, since power usage and heat and huge concerns for laptop computing, mobile processors have a lower clock speed than a comparable desktop processor. The exciting thing about the i7m is that the processor can drop a core and up clock the remaining 3 cores giving it a pretty reasonable clock speed as opposed to the lower clock of a mobile processor.

Video is a Palit GTS450. Main display is a 24" full HD TV. Secondary display is an ACER 19" lcd at 1440x900.

15+ Year Old Account
    Cilraaz if that's for desktops then are they better in laptops for wow?
    In general, desktops demolish laptops in gaming performance (especially when you consider performance per dollar). I've been told in other threads, and maybe rightfully so, that I'm horribly biased against laptops being used for gaming. That's why I pretty much avoid laptop questions anymore.

Oh ofcourse. I wasn't expecting the laptop to be comparable to a desktop, but I'm going to college this fall and I felt a laptop would benefit me the most in both school and still being able to play wow.

Out of these 3 processors which would play wow the best? The computer will have the same spec as the laptop listed
    above
    Intel Core i5 450M(2.4GHz), AMD Phenom II Triple-Core N830, AMD Phenom II Quad Core N930 2.1G

15+ Year Old Account
    I'd say the i5 450M, without a doubt. It has a higher base clock speed and can use turbo to boost its speed when it has free cores.

Well I think that was my last question about computers haha thanks so much cilraaz and warchief! Random question cilraaz how did you learn so much about computers?
    Last edited by ReHaZe; 2010-07-21 at 07:55 PM.