Poll: Titans grip or single minded fury

Thread: tg or smf

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

tg or smf

Was just wondering for you fury warriors if ur going to be 1g or smf?

whichever is noticeably better
    Im a wawiur
    http://stompingnerds.blogspot.com/ ill blog about what you want
    wish my post count was as high as yours

Deleted
    The above poster is correct in my case, and I suspect that will be the same opinion that many others will have; even if they don't know it yet.

If either has a significant difference over the other (5% or more for example) then it's likely that the more powerful build will become more popular regardless of how much people prefer one playstyle over the other.

If it was purely a matter of preferance and they both did the same amount of damage however, I prefer Single-Minded Fury. I played one-handed Fury through Pre-BC and BC and I much prefered it. It was sad to see that playstyle disappear during Wrath and I'm glad that they're bringing it back. Dual wielding two-handed weapons seemed unnatural and caused clipping and graphical errors in some situations, not to mention that there's something fairly satisfying about insanely quick attack speeds.

10+ Year Old Account
    I started playing in Wrath, so all I know is Titan's grip. Therefore I'm leaning toward tg at the moment. Although I'll try both when leveling and go from there.

I'm planning on making an alt worgen warrior, I am thinking TG just because well ... I really like TG. Unless of course I can get two really sweet fist weapons like say the claws from MH, in which case SMF all the way.

Not that I think they'll make more than a pair of strength fist weapons if they ever do ....

15+ Year Old Account
    ok, lets do some easy and totally inaccurate math:

2h weapon: 623 dps
    1h weapon: 462 dps
    they are the same itemlvl, so it is compareable. I don't care, that the 2h here is a polearm, an axe, sword or mace with the same itemlevel will have the same dps.

both offhands will do 75% dmg IIRC. (50% base + 50% more dmg because of talents). but anyways, the difference will be the same, no matter if its 50% or 75% or even 100% dmg. because it's a percentage.

Titan's grip = 10% less physical dmg with two-handers.
    Single minded fury = 20% more dmg with one-handers.

623 dps * 1,75 * 0,9 = 981 dps
    462 dps * 1,75 * 1,2 = 970 dps

it's not that big difference, is it?

I know that calculation is far from accurate, but it gives a brief overview how the damage will look like.
    My guess is... it will and should be a matter of style and own preferences, since there WILL be 1h dps str weapons because of (frost) death knights.

1h str weapons: frost-dk, fury warrior #2
    2h str weapons: unholy dk, retribution paladin, arms warrior, fury warrior #1 (and this guy needs two of them!)

unless they make either enhancement shamans and/or retribution paladins suitable for 1h-str-weapons (which I highly, highly doubt), you'd be far better with 2 onehanders if you want to make quick gear progression (if you're using dkp or something similar, 2 1h str weapons will be much cheaper and quicker obtainable than 2 2h str weapons (unless you would be the only 2h dps in your raid but there would be a second 1h str dps), which leaves more dkp for the remaining gear). so i'm gonna vote SMF.

I wonder, if it would be worth speccing both TG and SMF to be able to switch quickly, just as needed. or even using 1 1h and 1 2h as interim solution. or can you only spec one at a time?
    Last edited by xebtria; 2010-07-20 at 07:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xebtria View Post
    Titan's grip = 10% less physical dmg with two-handers.
    Single minded fury = 20% more dmg with one-handers.

623 dps * 1,75 * 0,9 = 981 dps
    462 dps * 1,75 * 1,2 = 970 dps

it's not that big difference, is it?

I know that calculation is far from accurate, but it gives a brief overview how the damage will look like.
    Your calculation is way off because of one simple but important detail:

You are calculating autoattack dps only and forgetting about the instants. Many of these are not dependent on weapon DPS or weapon damage. But they DO get the TG malus or SMF bonus.
    BT, Execute and Victory Rush (dont know about the new skill yet) do favor SMF highly.
    So do Slam (two 1Hers vs one 2H), HS and Cleave (if I am not mistaken, HS and Celave are not dependant on weapon damage?).
    WW favours TG.
    And you get more stats with TG.

All in all, SMF should be ahead. *Unless* the new (to be announced) fury only skill is heavily weapon dependant.
    Last edited by suicuique; 2010-07-20 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Typo

TG= Better stats, better slam, better ww, better rend.

SMF= Better HS, better BT, better VR. Note: slam and cleave with SMF hit with both hands(OH penalty still applies ofc)which make the difference with TG smaller and even more small if you account procs and flurry.
    Most of all the scaling is better with gear and with multiplicative and additive buffs.

We do have to wait though to see the new rage formula and also the new attack that is supposed to be a single target WW hitting with both hands.

But if I wanted to dual wield one handers, I would have rolled enhance / rogue / frost dk.
    Two of which I've already done.
    *please keep Titan's Grip viable*

Quote Originally Posted by DarthDonut View Post
    But if I wanted to dual wield one handers, I would have rolled enhance / rogue / frost dk.
    Two of which I've already done.
    *please keep Titan's Grip viable*
    At the end of any TR level with same gear one of them ( TG or SMF) will have the upper hand on paper assuming you have access to the arsenal.

As for the feeling...Well every warrior who was playing since vanilla or even TBC does feel nostalgia about one hands but what is not debatable is that the curse of fury in WOTLK was that everything was balanced around TG which is a great mistake.

1h str weapons: Frost-dk, fury warrior #2 [bold]prot warrior[/bold]
    2h str weapons: Unholy dk, retribution paladin, arms warrior, fury warrior #1 (and this guy needs two of them!)
    ftfy.

TG= Better stats, better slam, better ww, better rend
    As far as we know, whirlwind will be only for aoe at this point, with much less rage, and the damage reduction it is getting it probably wont be as viable so it kind of takes off the big bonus of TG imo.

Rage normalization is going to make the biggest difference.
    Just looking over info from the beta damage is going to be comparable between the two, which IMO it should be.
    But if rage is going to be a flat number based on weapon speed, the slower TG swings would generate more rage per hit but a miss would be a large rage loss. Over an entire fight it won't really matter, but I think SMF is going to feel more like a regular amount than TG will (Imagine 5rage/1 sec SMF versus 15/3. Or for you non-mathy thinkers, Energy regen versus Runic power generation)

This was pointed out by a fellow contributor on EJ a while back, but it still counts for cataclysm.

The sheer mechanics of deep wounds makes 2h a lot better in the long haul, they'd have to buff the 1h damage significantly to keep it on par with duel wield 2 handers.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
    1h str weapons: Frost-dk, fury warrior #2 [bold]prot warrior[/bold]
    2h str weapons: Unholy dk, retribution paladin, arms warrior, fury warrior #1 (and this guy needs two of them!)
    ftfy.
    exactly, because slow 1h weapons with offensive stats will be the tanking weapons of choice. even though they may not be that bad for threat and also because of the removal of defense, I'm pretty sure that fast 1h will still be superior and because of that I'm pretty sure that there will be fast 1h str weapons with defensive stats (dodge, parry).
    and if you add the prot warrior, you may add the prot paladin as well. however, if you will be right and prot warriors/paladins will use the slow str dps weapons for tanking, that would make it 4:4 again. to be honest, I don't like it but this sounds like blizzard-logic. damn -.-

hey men, the 10% damage done is a lot men .. if u look at the damage now warriors do its -10% lawl

SMF will pwn face, 1h fury owned in bc, they are bringing it back baby

1hand = moar rage lewl more spams yay, icc too much raid damage we take our full rage for granted lewl
    now we are like rogues with full energy hahahahahahahahahahahaha 30k DPS inc

To be honest. I would stay with TG, because I don't want to look like a rogue or enhancement shaman. I am currently enh shaman on line and plan to go warrior fury when cataclysm comes out. I love the massive, aggressive and unique style of having 2 Two-Handed weapon. But as everyone says, I'll go with the one(TG or SMF) that will be a dps increase.

SMF, fury is supposed to be a reckless maniac swinging as fast as he can.

exactly, because slow 1h weapons with offensive stats will be the tanking weapons of choice. even though they may not be that bad for threat and also because of the removal of defense, I'm pretty sure that fast 1h will still be superior and because of that I'm pretty sure that there will be fast 1h str weapons with defensive stats (dodge, parry).
    and if you add the prot warrior, you may add the prot paladin as well. however, if you will be right and prot warriors/paladins will use the slow str dps weapons for tanking, that would make it 4:4 again. to be honest, I don't like it but this sounds like blizzard-logic. damn -.-
    Actually I think we're more likely to find weapons with haste and mastery to be the most common, which are supposed to be stats that everyone will want - haste because it's supposed to make all your resources refill faster and mastery because well ... mastery. There's also a good chance they may skip out completely on fast tanking weapons.

Oh and don't forget that because of the changes to heroic strike it might not really be worthwhile to use a fast weapon.

All sorts of things to consider these days, might as well wait and see how it pans out.

Deleted
    Neither Prot Warriors nor Prot Paladins have any reason to want fast weapons anymore so it's very likely they'll just flush the whole concept of tanking weapons altogether and let them use the same weapons as frost/fury, just like how DKs and bears use DPS 2hs. Cuts down on loot table clutter too.