Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    If he can withstand the Lich King's torture ever since wrathgate, then he can withstand the temptation of that helmet.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would personally think that Bolvar would hold steadfast in his effort. But I think there is always the possibility that this could backfire forcing Nerzhul's spirit elsewhere. Since its already known that Nerzhul's presence is not just based to one fixed object. So it could very likely pass to a passer-by that wanders into the general area of Bolvar's throne.

Well, let's start at Wrathgate. In the Wrathgate battle, he could have very easily turned on his troops and watched as they were slaughtered, but no. He entered the battle himself, and later on (like 20 seconds later), even worked with the Horde to help bring down the Lich King, to no avail. Does that sound like something that an evil guy would do? Alright, next. After Putress assaulted the battlefield with The New Plague, Bolvar called for the troops to fall back. Not just his, but Saurfang Jr.'s as well. He could have attempted to flee, but he didn't.

Then, after The New Plague had set into his body and he was dead/nearly dead, he was burned alive (pun intended) by the Red Dragonflight's Living Flames. When he was revived, his skin had quite literally burned off. If anything, he suffered fifteenth degree burns, and then he was tortured by The Lich King personally for however long it took for us to get into Icecrown Citadel.

All the while, his will never faltered. He could have very easily sided with The Lich King to gain the power that you suggested he craved, but no. He withstood torture from Frostmourne itself. Then, when the Lich King fell, he sacrificed all that he had fought to keep during the torture by becoming the thing that had so grievously wounded him...The Lich King. Just before he was crowned the Lich King, however, he told Tirion "I must be forgotten if the world is to live free from the tyranny of fear". This tells us something, that Bolvar doesn't plan to rule The Scourge by using fear and deceit.

Next, he tells Tirion that he would be The Jailer of the Damned. Do you truly think that he would take that title if he wished to rule the Scourge? No, then he would have taken the title Lich King. Instead, he is their Jailer, which is proven in Cataclysm, where the Scourge are making no major advances, yet they also are not retreating, which only proves that Bolvar is keeping them right there for us to kill.

So, now that the troll has been fed, I must ask the troll something. What was this power that you referred to?
    Leader of the Stormwind Protection Agency.

Quote Originally Posted by Pojodan View Post
    Later, in that expansion's content, an undead rising takes place, one that's both misguided and confused, leading players to encounter some manner of creature, like a gnoll or kabold, that's scavanged up the helmet and using it as their play-thing.
    i think whoever owns the lord of the rings series would sue your ass faster than you can say "gollum"

Ner'zhul is dead. He and Arthas merged, it wasn't Ner'Zhul AND Arthas, it was only the Lich King. He died, so Ner'Zhul doesn't really exist to corrupt anymore.

17. Re: Who is the Lich King? | 2007-11-27 15:41 by Bornakk:

Before Arthas donned the Lich King's armor, it was the spirit of the former Orc Shaman Ner'zhul whose soul was attached to the armor and then imprisoned (physically) inside the Frozen Throne. Now Arthas and Ner'zhul's spirit are one and together they are the Lich King.

Edit: Unless they Retcon something, When Arthas died, so did Ner'Zhul.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teffi
    You play a game for 20+ hours a week and you're "an addict".
    You sit on your fat ass eating nachos and watching men in tight pants throw a ball around for 20+ hours a week and you're "a man".
    Sometimes, I just can't even:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx
    It's just an assertion, so it's neither logical nor illogical.

because we don't know.

Frostmourne doesn't exist anymore. If Frostmourne was around to take his soul then sure I would say Bolvar would be corrupted the same way that Arthas was. However Bolvar has a strong resolve and a soul still which allows him to fight back against the influences of the armor. Now if he got the idea that sitting in a frozen chair wasn't fun anymore then maybe.

I know i would enjoy a return of the LK.

A fiery fire filled northrend. Give it 4 yrs or so at least so it can feel fresh again. But i think it would be sweet.
    Blizzcon 2010+2011+2013+2014+2015 Attendee!
    lvl-110 Zeush(Sen'jin) Orc Fury Warrior(bread and Butter) WATCH BIG CRITS! Raiding Guild Reality Series! http://www.bigcrits.com/site/index.php

10+ Year Old Account
    we dont know yet but thats what makes it FUN sidesi bet he has to slowly tear the scourge down from the bottem up cuz if we couldnt survive w/o some sort of control there ust be a shit load more that we arnt aware of somewhere so form the sounds of things itll be a slow porsses to get rid of em once n for all n for all we know bolvar might lose control n then well have to rush in n diliver the final blow to the scourge

Quote Originally Posted by malletin View Post
    thats easy frostmourne.
    ye arthas turned bad man after frostmourne started messing with his head so in the end cimematic after killing arthas you see frostmourne break and bolvar wont have to worry about that
    _ _
    idunolulz \(o_0)/

Stood in the Fire masterdisaster's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bowchikabow View Post
    While I am no end all authority on lore, I consider myself versed in the story of Arthas and of Azeroth. I will try to put some substance to this idea.

The Lich King, as an embodiment consists of 3 seperate influences...we regard them as "items", or "armaments", but they are actually physically constrained influences.

These are as follows-

The Helm of Domination: The helm of the Lich King was created with magics to, for lack of a better term, psychically control all of the scourge/undead. The fact that it possesses such a menacing appearance is likely due to blizzards allowance of "a visually dominant" character.

The armor of the lich: It is the armor itself that infuses the host body (in this case Bolvar) with undeath. In the case of Arthas, the removing of his heart would have otherwise killed him had it not been for the necrotic powers of the armor to more or less sustain his human life.

Frostmourne: This is often a huge point of contention. It is the blade itself that holds all of the fallen souls that have lost to the Lich King. Nerzhul was infused into the blade, not the armor, not the helm, just the blade. It is said several times through out the Lich Kings stories that the voices of the departed souls as well as the corrupting influence of Nerzhul is what drove Arthas mad. This happened BEFORE he donned the Armor, when he merely wielded the blade.

SADLY, I HAVE TO SAY THIS. IF YOU HAVE NOT KILLED THE LICH KING IN ANY FORM IN WoW THERE IS A SPOILER BELOW THIS WALL OF CAPS LOCK!!!!!

While the group heroes lays dead on the frozen throne, Tirion breaks free from an encasement of ice and shatters frostmourne, allowing the souls taken to escape. It also stands to reason that with the blade destroyed, the influence of Ner'zhul would die with it.

Keeping this in mind, we can reasonably assume that with out such conflicted influences at play, that bolver becomes literally what he says to Tirion..."the jailor of the damned". While I am sure it MAY be possible that some other corruption may be able to take hold of bolvar, I for one will reasonably assume that without frostmourne, we should not have much concern for bolvar going evil and "world must end" on us.
    Sorry, but this is wrong. Ner'zuhl was not only in Frostmorne. http://www.wowwiki.com/Helm_of_Domination_(Lich_King)