Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Help with my Computer

Ok, so I'm mostly illiterate when it comes to the internal workings and going-ons of a computer as far as hardware and operation are concerned so bare with me.

I bought my latest computer from Best Buy roughly two years ago. I'm sure it's been happening for a while but I'll get huge fps drops during massive AoE or if something in game were to burst onto screen between me and my character. An example of this being the steam/geysers in Borean Tundra. Also, I have noticed as of the last few alts I have leveled that the Ember Clutch(fiery trees and whatnot) area of Howling Fjord plays havoc with my machine and will freeze up for a second of two upon entering of leaving this area. TBH I have dealt with these issues so far, but after seeing some of the graphics improvements, i.e. the major water improvement, I am starting to get worried that these issues will only worsen. My in game video settings are maxed with the exception of shadows, which is completely turned down, and I play in windowed mode if that matters. I think, I can't check because of maintenance that I run at a average of 26fps just running around questing.

I guess what I'm looking for is help on how to fix these issues. Like I said I'm pretty nub when it comes to working on computers, so if you're gonna help please be patient with me.

Thanks in advance.

Edit for specs:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6700 @ 2.66GHz 2.67 GHz
    Memory (RAM): 6.00GB
    System type: 64-bit Operating System
    Last edited by Gracin; 2010-07-20 at 02:05 PM.

If I remember correctly, I think Blizzard said you will still have the option to display the old water effects so you don't have to use the one. Either way, it seems you have to turn down most of your video settings. Effects like the burning trees as you pointed out for example, are a bit more complex graphics wise to what you might've come across before Northrend. I think the two key ones aside from the shadow texture is the spell effects and terrain distance.

Oh, and if possible, if you could give us your computer specs. Easiest way to find out is Start > right click My Computer > Properties: copy everything in the system area mainly your processor and RAM.

How to improve FPS sticky here -> http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...PS-Check-Here!

There are certain things you can try to twiddle with, but it sounds like you might need to throw money at the problem if you feel like it's unplayably slow.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yea, sorry about not posting the specs I just now realized I didn't add them.

I'm adding this to my OP. If you need more, just let me know how/where to get whatever you need.

I'm honestly against turning the graphics down, and I would never say it's unplayably slow. I just want to be able to view the game in the best possible way.

What video card do you have?

The Q6700 is starting to show its age as well.. wow loves CPU.. hopefully that will change with DX10 support in cataclysm but i'm not holding my breathe.. WOTLK is mostly based on DX7 of all things.

I have an AMD 955 that i overclock to 3.6ghz and i get 45-65 fps in raids while outside of raids its 70-200 depending on zone. I have an ati 4850 video card currently. When i run rivatuner performance tools my video card barely goes about 40% utilization in wow but not sure if thats just a limitation of the DX engine.. poor coding on the client or an issue with rivatuner or drivers showing that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gracin View Post
    Yea, sorry about not posting the specs I just now realized I didn't add them.

I'm adding this to my OP. If you need more, just let me know how/where to get whatever you need.

I'm honestly against turning the graphics down, and I would never say it's unplayably slow. I just want to be able to view the game in the best possible way.
    Dont make the mistake i did :P My processor is pretty much in the same position, it plays wow on ultra, but only 30 fps during 25man raids, which is a ball ache. In the next few months im upgrading my processor to i5 or i7, i suggest you get an i5 650 (or any model number ABOVE), and also, id go for an ATI 5 series to go along side it, and wow will run a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by Warchief94 View Post
    Dont make the mistake i did :P My processor is pretty much in the same position, it plays wow on ultra, but only 30 fps during 25man raids, which is a ball ache.
    30fps, in 25 man raids, a ball ache. You sir, have very sensitive balls.

I heal with 7fps in 25 man raids with low low detail and my balls are just fine.

Anyway, I'll beat a dead horse:

WoW is more dependant on your CPU than GPU. I'm running an ancient AGP 8x system:

P4 w/HT 3.0ghz, 800mhz FSB
    2GB SD-whatever-ancient-crap-Ram @ 300mhz
    NVidia 512MB 7800gt
    5000-ish RPM 250gb SATA

I can turn everything on high except shadows, those are 1 notch above the minimum. I can get around 10-20fps in Dalaran, depending on player density. 30+ in old world while leveling alts, 20-ish in Outland/Northrend. I get around 20 in ICC just standing around, 30 if I min the settings. Bring on the AOE, Treants, Heroism and the lot and I tank down to ~2. After it's all over around 10.

I used to have a Celeron D 2.9-ish ghz (300 or 500mhz fsb, can't remember) in there. 25 mans were impossible, it would just choke to 0.5fps or something rediculous.

You get worse fps in windowed mode. Not sure how much of a difference but it will help.

Quote Originally Posted by Dethh View Post
    You get worse fps in windowed mode. Not sure how much of a difference but it will help.
    Used to be ~10% difference back in XP times running DX games windowed. Should be much smaller performance hit in Win7
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

15+ Year Old Account
    My video card is a GeForce 9500GT.

So my question is, if I go to using this processor and this video card will I be needing anything else? I'm linking items from best buy, because as I stated in my OP I'm completely illiterate when it comes to computers and the upgrades will probably being bought and installed at best buy.

Quote Originally Posted by awebz View Post
    I lol'd
    Yes, thank you for being so insightful and helpful...

Deleted

So my question is, if I go to using this processor and this video card will I be needing anything else? I'm linking items from best buy, because as I stated in my OP I'm completely illiterate when it comes to computers and the upgrades will probably being bought and installed at best buy.

Yes, thank you for being so insightful and helpful...
    Upto you about the prices, they are rather high though. The processors good, the graphics cards good, wack in 4gb of ram (or 6gb, never a bad idea) and your pretty much set to go.

Not going to be enough. Your current processor uses older generation socket, and you can't fit new one into the motherboard. You'll need new motherboard as well for a processor upgrade. LGA1156 is the type of motherboard you'll need, current one is LGA775.

Depending on the exact specs of your PC, the power supply might also be too weak for new graphics card and processor, but it's something you can't figure out without opening the computer. Unless the original invoice has very detailed list of what's inside.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2010-07-20 at 09:55 PM.
    Trolling should be.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Not going to be enough. Your current processor uses older generation socket, and you can't fit new one into the motherboard. You'll need new motherboard as well for a processor upgrade. LGA1156 is the type of motherboard you'll need, current one is LGA775.

Depending on the exact specs of your PC, the power supply might also be too weak for new graphics card and processor, but it's something you can't figure out without opening the computer. Unless the original invoice has very detailed list of what's inside.
    The model number on the power supply is DPS-350ab-8.

Quote Originally Posted by Enola View Post
    Too expensive for those prices you can get a i5-750 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-215-_-Product)
    Ok well going that route, and needing a new motherboard would I be best off with a combo like this? Or just buy the EVGA 768, i5-750 processor and a motherboard separate, and if so what motherboard to get if I nab that processor.

Edit: Just looked at the EVGA specs and seen I need a minimum of a 450W power supply. So I guess I need recommendations on that too.
    Last edited by Gracin; 2010-07-20 at 10:26 PM.

That PSU is 350 watts which is kinda low and also doesn't usually supply the correct connections for newer GPU's.
    What is your budget?

15+ Year Old Account
    Ok, well I've been looking around on newegg and I put a shopping cart together of things suggested throughout this thread plus a motherboard and power supply. Total came to $660 before any rebate. Not sure if the motherboard and power supply are right or too much, but here goes.

Motherboard+Processor
    Video Card
    Power Supply

Not sure if I'll need anything else, as far as RAM I currently have 6GB of DDR2.

And as always if you guys have suggestions they are more than welcome.

Looks pretty decent... But here comes the mandatory 'but'

That motherboard takes only DDR3 RAM so sadly you need to change the motherboard or the RAM.

Also the power supply even though technically is fine is really low end. It's probably going to work with your system without problems, but when you're doing upgrades next time, you need to switch it again for more powerful model.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JonBoy2001 View Post
    30fps, in 25 man raids, a ball ache. You sir, have very sensitive balls.

I heal with 7fps in 25 man raids with low low detail and my balls are just fine.

Anyway, I'll beat a dead horse:

WoW is more dependant on your CPU than GPU. I'm running an ancient AGP 8x system:

P4 w/HT 3.0ghz, 800mhz FSB
    2GB SD-whatever-ancient-crap-Ram @ 300mhz
    NVidia 512MB 7800gt
    5000-ish RPM 250gb SATA

I can turn everything on high except shadows, those are 1 notch above the minimum. I can get around 10-20fps in Dalaran, depending on player density. 30+ in old world while leveling alts, 20-ish in Outland/Northrend. I get around 20 in ICC just standing around, 30 if I min the settings. Bring on the AOE, Treants, Heroism and the lot and I tank down to ~2. After it's all over around 10.

I used to have a Celeron D 2.9-ish ghz (300 or 500mhz fsb, can't remember) in there. 25 mans were impossible, it would just choke to 0.5fps or something rediculous.
    This is currently the difference in FPS i recieve in dalaran, with the specs you see in my sig, whilst zoomed in, looking at a wall.
    http://yfrog.com/0fwowscrnshot072110002949p
    Whilst zoomed out, looking at the north back at peek times, i average around 20-25 fps, 10 man raids always above 50 fps.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Looks pretty decent... But here comes the mandatory 'but'

That motherboard takes only DDR3 RAM so sadly you need to change the motherboard or the RAM.

Also the power supply even though technically is fine is really low end. It's probably going to work with your system without problems, but when you're doing upgrades next time, you need to switch it again for more powerful model.
    Ok, say I switch from that motherboard and keep my current RAM. What do you reccomend? As far as the power supply is concerned, I'm alright with having to replace it later. However I will take a suggestion towards that if you are willing.
    Last edited by Gracin; 2010-07-20 at 11:45 PM.

You can't, to go for a new processor you will need to switch mobo, switching mobo will force you to get DDR3, it's not impossible to get some compatible stuff with your board, but in all honesty in my opinion, it's throwing money away.
    What I would suggest, is to you to figure your budget, how much you want to spend, with that we can give you some good options.