Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Gnome Paladin (some factual class data and discussion)

In the current beta, there is a class distribution total of:
    Horde: 46
    Alliance 45

That means that Alliance is lacking 1 race/class combo compared to Horde.

The distribution of Shamans to paladins for each respective faction:
    Horde: [Shaman]:4 [Paladin]:2
    Alliance: [Shaman]:2 [Paladin]3

This means Alliance is also missing a Paladin to even out the once faction specific classes.

Current Race/Class distribution numbers:
    Orc: 7
    Undead: 7
    Tauren: 7
    Troll: 9 (with Troll Warlocks)
    Blood Elf: 8
    Goblin: 8

Human: 8
    Dwarf: 9 (with Dwarf Warlocks)
    Night Elf: 7
    Gnome: 6
    Draenei: 7
    Worgen: 8

This means that currently, Gnomes have the fewest classes to pick from out of any race in the beta.

With the introduction of the priest to the gnomes, there is no longer a "lore reason" to not give them Gnome Paladins.
    Due to the existence of warriors, there is no physical reason why they can't be paladins.
    Gnome Paladins would even out the faction class choices, as well as the paladin class choices for Alliance.

I'd like any thoughts as to why they should not be implemented. Thanks

It it really necessary to balance cosmetic things like this? That kind of balancing is what destroys the story of MMOs.

The holy Tauren were bad enough, Gnomes just don't have the zealotry in them to become paladins.

in that case why not let night elves become paladins just because they worship the moon(as far as i know lorewise night elf priests can still use the powers of the light even though they worship the moon) i mean, they did that to the tauren sunworshippers >.>

It's not entirely cosmetic, my first character was Tobley, a gnome rogue.
    I've since identified much more with the paladin class but Gnome is my favorite Alliance race.
    That being said, exactly why does one need to be a zealot to be a paladin?
    The term Zealot refers to fanatacism of one's religion.
    I don't think many of the paladins in-game are or would appreciate being referred to as a Zealot as it usually would say they are extremists.
    Tirion Fordring is not a zealot.

Also, Night Elves have every valid reason to be paladins, you are correct, however in the current phase of beta testing there is no combination gap for them.
    Gnomes have less choice at character creation than every other race currently.

15+ Year Old Account
    Gnome "Priests" are Battle Medics- That is, they heal with devices and trinkets instead of Magic.

Deleted
    McGoyver is a gnome....and he's a zealot ofc!

Quote Originally Posted by Ronark View Post
    Gnome "Priests" are Battle Medics- That is, they heal with devices and trinkets instead of Magic.
    Forgive my ignorance, but was that posted anywhere? or is that your assumption as to how the class would perform?
    I've actually not seen any lore stuff about gnome priests.
    I personally figured that having been with the Alliance some were interested in the light.
    Gnomes are individuals as much as any Human, they can choose to be religious, etc.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobley View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, but was that posted anywhere? or is that your assumption as to how the class would perform?
    I've actually not seen any lore stuff about gnome priests.
    I personally figured that having been with the Alliance some were interested in the light.
    Gnomes are individuals as much as any Human, they can choose to be religious, etc.
    There will be the playable Gnome priests in the next expansion, Cataclysm, in tradition of the already existing medics
    Source: www.wowwiki.com

People tend to forget that the Priest's version of the Holy Light is a religion, and not a way of life.

Think of the "Holy Light" as Catholicism, and "The Light" as life as a Buddhist monk.

I'd rather see Draenei Warlocks.

You may now quote me and tell me how outrageously impossible this is because of lore reasons.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would roll a gnome pally sooooo fast!

Quote Originally Posted by Ronark View Post
    Source: www.wowwiki.com

People tend to forget that the Priest's version of the Holy Light is a religion, and not a way of life.

Think of the "Holy Light" as Catholicism, and "The Light" as live as a Buddhist monk.
    A few follow a loftier path and pay their respects to the Holy Light. Since the Ironforge dwarves' recent discovery of their titanic origins, the gnomes think that they too may be products of the Titans.[8] They appear to be right on this assumption. Some female gnomes have been known as members of the Sisters of Steel that have shown abilities to turn their flesh to stone or steel.

Source: http://www.wowwiki.com/Gnome

Also, there are many that would think "religion" and "way of life" are synonymous.
    Last edited by Tobley; 2010-07-20 at 04:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Larch View Post
    The holy Tauren were bad enough, Gnomes just don't have the zealotry in them to become paladins.
    You can't have Zealotry. Zealotry was a political movement in first century Judaism which sought to incite the people of Iudaea Province to rebel against the Roman Empire and expel it from the holy land by force of arms, most notably during the Great Jewish Revolt (66-70). Zealotry was described by Josephus as one of the "four sects" at this time.

You want zealous. A zealous person; especially : a fanatical partisan <a religious zealot>

Ever been bit on your dirty BELF kneecap by an overzealous gnome? huh? We have oodles of zealy goodness to spread around... zreally.

Besides, I will one day realize my dream of an all gnome guild now that we have healers to join the ranks of our might Warrior and DK tanks. We shall unleash our Locks, Mages and Rogues and run rampant across the face of all of Azeroth (probably in our underwear for old times sake) and for that, a Pally with Crusader Aura would be neat. :P
    "It is most gratifying that your enthusiasm for our planet continues unabated, and so we would like to assure you that the guided missiles currently converging with your ship are part of a special service we extend to all of our most enthusiastic clients, and the fully armed nuclear warheads are of course merely a courtesy detail. We look forward to your custom in future lives ... thank you."

Quote Originally Posted by Luthlet View Post
    I'd rather see Draenei Warlocks.

You may now quote me and tell me how outrageously impossible this is because of lore reasons.
    This is outrageously impossible because of lore reasons!

I'm not completely up to date on all of the lore, seeing how I've only read a few things, but I think that blizzard stopped caring about lore mixing with class combination a long time ago. I wouldn't say that "holy Tauren were bad enough," mainly because having only one race that can be a certain class per faction is slightly bogus and restrictive, but at the same time I would agree that gnome paladins are a bad idea because
    1. I don't think that we should try to compare to the "horde have 4 shamans, alliance need 4 paladins" and
    2. We wouldn't be able to punt a gnome if he had bubble. I just wouldn't be able to handle that.

....Weren't orcs "technically supposed" to be the only warlocks?

Also, according to http://www.wowwiki.com/Holy_light:
    Paladins and Priests are of the same "religion" or "way of life".

As for the people that believe it is preposterous for gnomes to be priests in the first place:
    Not all humans are atheistic, why would all gnomes be atheistic?

Quote Originally Posted by Tobley View Post
    I don't think many of the paladins in-game are or would appreciate being referred to as a Zealot
    If you ever played a zealot in warhammer, you wouldn't mind being called one. I certainly wouldn't ;P

Quote Originally Posted by Vhamtnof View Post
    I would agree that gnome paladins are a bad idea because
    1. I don't think that we should try to compare to the "horde have 4 shamans, alliance need 4 paladins" and
    2. We wouldn't be able to punt a gnome if he had bubble. I just wouldn't be able to handle that.

....Weren't orcs "technically supposed" to be the only warlocks?
    I was hoping for someone to say something about my comparison of the horde shaman to alliance paladin count.
    My only semi-resonable reason for this is that Blizzard seems to be interested in maintaining the Alliance and Horde "feeling".
    IE: Strengthen Wrynn and Hellscream's characters.
    I thought evening out the shaman and paladin ratios would compliment this.

PS: Gnomes don't like being punted

15+ Year Old Account
    You can have a Gnome pally if I can have a Goblin Pally that gap closer is just to much!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Can you imagine if someone insulted you in a thread, you reported it, and I told you "sorry, wrong thread to be butthurt"?

I"d rather see gnome druid.... little kitten dps form and bear cub tank form!! =D

Gnome pally spotted!!

Larger image
    Last edited by Prentice; 2010-07-20 at 05:12 PM.

Win7(64)Pro - Intel 3770K @ 4.5GHz - 4x4GB DDR3 G Skill Ripjaws X - XFX Radeon HD 7970 - Samsung EVO 500GB SSD