Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Would you like to start at level 10?

I was pondering this question and wondered what DKs thought about it.

A lot of the Cataclysm experience will be about leveling a new character. A lot of the old 1-60 content is being remade. Now Death Knights obviously start at 55 and hence miss out on most of this experience. It seems a bit of a shame imo as your missing out on one of Catas strong points. Sure, you'll see it once you return from Northrend, but you're still missing a lot.

The leveling experience would also benefit from having another tank class available as anyone using the RDF to level will probably agree.

So what if the whole starting area for Death Knights took place from level 10 to 15 instead of 55-58. Would Death Knights really feel cheated?

Lets face it, the whole "Hero Class" aspect was never a big deal and WotLK is now over. I think the game overall would benefit from having DKs start closer to normal characters.

I realize most leveled DKs might disagree or simply not care, but maybe if you see the broader picture you might be more inclined towards this suggestion.

If you want to experience the content roll another class than dk. The dk starting zone is epic and the class is not playable below 55 without a large effort. The people wanting to start at 55 are probably a lot more than the people who would want to start from 1.
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=silvermoon&cn=adobi

I would have to vote no.

The only reason I leveled my Death Knight was due to the fact that it was the quickest, and easiest alt to get ready for arenas/endgame (Began leveling a couple weeks before season 8, hit 80 upon the start of season 8, and had my weapons not long afterward). To be honest, had Death Knights started at level 10, I never would have given them a second look.

On the other hand, this would likely prevent the terrible people from hitting 80 on their Death Knights and giving our class a bad name.
    Last edited by theBest; 2010-07-20 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GriffAM View Post
    On the other hand, this would likely prevent the terrible people from hitting 80 on their Death Knights and giving our class a bad name.
    ^

off topic but is the starting zone going to change now that there is no LK?

15+ Year Old Account
    Lorewise we start before the events of Cataclysm (nvm that goblin/worgen DKS cause a few plotholes)

And No I wouldn't start leveling my DK at 10. If I want to experience the content on an appropriate level, I'd simply create another class.

15+ Year Old Account
    Personally, I wondered why they chose 55 in the first place. If you think about it, it doesn't make much sense. Why would death knights separated from the Lich King want to wander into Outland to fight the forces of Illidan and the Burning Legion? They want revenge on Arthas and to help defeat the Scourge.

I would have thought 65 would make more sense, and have the chain end at 68 and lead straight to Northrend.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

Quote Originally Posted by Coolmann View Post
    ^

Off topic but are we going to kill Onyxia this week now that we have already killed her 50 times and she still isn't dead? And I remember winning the Battle for Undercity on 7 different characters.. that doesn't seem right?

It's WoW. That's how things work. Imagine it as every new character going through the story from the beginning.
    “Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people.”
    ~G.B. Shaw

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Professor View Post
    Off topic but are we going to kill Onyxia this week now that we have already killed her 50 times and she still isn't dead? And I remember winning the Battle for Undercity on 7 different characters.. that doesn't seem right?

It's WoW. That's how things work. Imagine it as every new character going through the story from the beginning.
    Yes I know that you start over again with every character as a new story, that is just fun though, but take a look at WPL, it is cleansed from the Scourge, because the LK is dead. Then you go to Northrend and all over the god damn place is command of the LK, that just doesn´t make sense at all, they have to change that really. And they can they are probably just to lazy for it, those lazy asses.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll keep it short. Leveling sucks. No. The option to start at 58 is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown View Post
    Personally, I wondered why they chose 55 in the first place. If you think about it, it doesn't make much sense. Why would death knights separated from the Lich King want to wander into Outland to fight the forces of Illidan and the Burning Legion? They want revenge on Arthas and to help defeat the Scourge.

I would have thought 65 would make more sense, and have the chain end at 68 and lead straight to Northrend.
    Most sensible post on this thread. Then again I agree with the WPL being free of scourge and the LK's grasp, then going to Northrend to fight against the LK's forces makes little sense.

It wouldn't take much effort to re balance the dk starting zone for 1-10 since it's phased/instanced already. The majority of the effort would be put into giving them 1-60 training and what not but since they are already doing it for every other class that's not such a big deal.

All the people saying they like the quick trip to 80, you still have to lvl 1-55 on some character first IF your a new player, and anyone who's not a new player has had all of wrath to make a dk at 55. I think this would be a good time to bring dk's in line with all the other classes starting out at the bottom.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolmann View Post
    ^

Doesn't matter if there is.
    For all purposes, at the time your character is re-born as a DK, there "is" a LK.

You enter the "present" once you finish out of the quest-chain.

---------- Post added 2010-07-21 at 12:15 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown View Post

Because that's roughly the levels of the area most fitting to them - West/Eastern Plaguelands.
    If anything, maybe they should've made some adjustments and created zones that cater to leveling frmo 60 to 68 in Azeroth, but then again why spend money on Burning Crusade just for a measly 10 level cap increase?
    At least see its content, mm?
    Last edited by Nurvus; 2010-07-20 at 11:18 PM.
    Why did you create a new thread? Use the search function and post in existing threads!
    Why did you necro a thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Woesnoes View Post
    take a look at WPL, it is cleansed from the Scourge, because the LK is dead. Then you go to Northrend and all over the god damn place is command of the LK, that just doesn´t make sense at all
    There's a gentleman named Bolvar Fordragon at the door. He'd like a word with you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexus2089
    All the people saying they like the quick trip to 80, you still have to lvl 1-55 on some character first IF your a new player, and anyone who's not a new player has had all of wrath to make a dk at 55.
    This.
    You still have to level at least one character to 55, which basically means that you're not missing anything. Also, at least I think it's a relief to not having to group with any DKs till I hit outland.

Another thing, as a DK, aren't you supposed to be a hero who died in a battle against the scourge just to be reborn as undead? Starting at a high level makes sense because you're carrying on from where you left off when you died. Or something along those lines.

they may've even made it this way intentionally, so we don't see any goblin/worgen death knights to get infuriated about how lorelol they are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Yes I would, imo they should make it an option when you talk to Varian/Thrall for the first time for that final quest where you join Alliance/Horde, to stay at 58 or to start for level 1 or 10. I have just gotten my death knight to 80 (he is my 7th level 80 char on the same server) but I would have loved to level him all the way instead from just 55.

Quote Originally Posted by Zao View Post
    Lorewise we start before the events of Cataclysm (nvm that goblin/worgen DKS cause a few plotholes)
    The thing with Goblin and Worgen DKs is they're not a huge plothole entirely. Goblins have been around for a while so there's no reason Arthas couldn't have raised Goblins that died scavenging the Plaguelands for anything left behind. Worgens are bit tougher but there could have been scouts/refugees that escaped looking for help that ended up in the Plaguelands for Arthas to revive. Okay the Worgen reason is a strech but it's still semi-possible. And the reason they haven't been seen before: They stayed Human near civilization and were never noticed until Worgen joined the Alliance and were accepted.

Plotholes filled

No. DKs are going to and should remain at 55 to start.

[11:50:45] Earthmender Duarn says: Shamanistic healing is a complex art. You can't just chain heal all day.

I kind of agree that having DK's start at a lower level for Cata would be nice. Would help weed out a few of the "loldk easy reroll" retards that give us a bad name.

Like someone said, people had all of LK to make their 55 DK (and I'd say almost everyone did so, even if they never played it).

Just have the DK starter area go from 1-10. Hardest part would be figuring out when to give which abilities, but even that wouldn't be all too bad.

For those arguing against this: why? You have your DK (or can get him/her before Cata), and anyone playing now can get theirs if it's announced.

It'd make more sense for new players, too, if they want to play DK. Rather than having to learn a class up to 55, then abandon it and start a completely new class, they can learn their class as they go from level 1 (again, might help eliminate some of the baddies our class is famous for).

As for the argument about DK's being risen heroes turned by LK to fight for him: the Undead race are risen warriors who've broken free of LK. Just cause you start at level 1 doesn't mean you never did anything beforehand.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldurok View Post

As for the argument about DK's being risen heroes turned by LK to fight for him: the Undead race are risen warriors who've broken free of LK. Just cause you start at level 1 doesn't mean you never did anything beforehand.
    A level 55 DK is a hero of the Scourge, broken free of the Lich King's grasp.

A level 1 Undead is just some guy who Sylvannas freed.

[11:50:45] Earthmender Duarn says: Shamanistic healing is a complex art. You can't just chain heal all day.