Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Somewhere between Nagrand and your dreams

Can't imagine the horde without him

This is something I feel I need to admit too. I've been a warcraft fan for many years now, having played warcraft 3 and wow since beta, so I've been a strong lorefan all this time. I've loved the lore and characters behind it, even love and hate them at times.

But, as me being honest here, there is one character in all of warcraft that actully makes the story for me, and so I confess, I am in love with Thrall, and I mean truely in love with him.

Since I played warcraft 3, and his story, and then reading lord of the clans, its like right away, here as this amazing character, unlike any other, an orc leader with the savagry of an orc, but the intellect of a human. I became even a little obsessed when finding out about him.

To me, he represented everything that was good about the horde, and why I became such a dedicated horde fan, because of the example he set to his people, and went by himself, as well as his complexities, just made me want to be part of his faction all the more.

for years now, I've always been the first to form defense raids to kill the alliance trying to kill him, and followed every questchain he sent me on. I've reread lord of the clans so often, and cycle of hatred over and over, and my view on Thrall hasn't changed. As I say, that the horde is the way it is I see is because of him.

Now, things are about to change. With Garrosh taking the mantle of Warchief from Thrall, I'm just now been trying to see the bright side of whats happening in cata, with little avail. From the get go, it seems the horde I joined doesn't follow his example, and would sooner follow Garrosh in his bloody war then going on what Thrall represented.

This is where it becomes something of a worst case senario. I play the horde as my faction both for reasons I've said, and for the sake that my friends play it too, so much binds me to stay there.
    But, and this is whats been keeping me up at nights, the idea that this isn't Thralls horde anymore, and that he's not even there, as part of the horde, makes me extremely reluctent to play it like before.

I honestly say, that Thrall became my reason for loving the horde so much. Without him now, and all his values and what he represented not there, I'm just not feeling like this is worth being part of now.

I also think, the only thing keeping me held to it at this moment, is the hope that Thrall will come back to the horde when the events of cataclysm are dealt with. I'm just scared though, that as they develop Garrosh more and more.. this seems far less likely each day.

Last edited by Wildstaff; 2010-07-21 at 03:06 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    oh well boo hoo, nobody cares, there are some people who prefer what the horde was in wc2

10+ Year Old Account
    The sooner Thrall's gone, the better. I bought World of Warcraft assuming there would be ample war crafting, not walking on eggshells around our "allies", and indeed our enemies just to avoid the inevitable wars/battles. At least Garrosh will be so stupid as to ignite conflict and get it over with.
    "What can be asserted without proof, can be dismissed without proof."

Garrosh is a new character, one that Blizzard brought into lore existence in BC and has been working on ever since. He's shaping up to take the mantle of warchief, and it looks like we'll still see plenty of thrall in cataclysm as he works to sooth the elements.

Garrosh may not be as good a warchief as thrall, but it's not like they're killing off thrall. have to mix things up at some point. they swapped out the stormwind "king" role from bolvar to varian, no one seemed to complain about that...
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

After playing the Goblin starting zone fully on the beta between the past two days I can tell you that it seems like Thrall WILL return as Warchief at the end of the expansion.

I don't want to spoil any of the content for people waiting for Cataclysm release, but theres a point during the Lost Isles quest progression where you have to work with a group of Thrall-loyal Orcs to recover the "precious cargo" which the alliance have stolen from them. When they begin their assault their leader yells "Fight for the glory of your ancestors, and your TRUE warchief!"

This implies that Thrall promoting Garrosh to warchief was different from other warchief changes. Many of the Orcs loyal to Thrall seem very unhappy with the decision, and it almost seems as if they've had to go undercover out of fear.

At the same time, however, when you go to meet Garrosh for the first time as a Goblin (at the end of the starting zone), you deliver to him a message directly from Thrall. When Garrosh hears that Thrall sent you directly, the quest dialog indicates that Garrosh seems terrified to hear Thrall's name mentioned.

I suppose their conversation/encounter in which Thrall promotes Garrosh will be revealed later in the expansion and will explain these two strange happenings

Humans are not necessarily smarter than Orcs.

Anyway, Thrall said himself that he isn't the type of leader the Horde needs at this juncture. The Wrathgate and the coup at the Undercity showed him that. He should be doing more... "wordly" matters like hanging out in Vashj'ir.

For proof of what I said, just go find that screenshot Thrall talking to Vol'jin via Shaman telepathy.

---------- Post added 2010-07-21 at 03:13 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by frownface2000 View Post
    After playing the Goblin starting zone fully on the beta between the past two days I can tell you that it seems like Thrall WILL return as Warchief at the end of the expansion.

I don't want to spoil any of the content for people waiting for Cataclysm release, but theres a point during the Lost Isles quest progression where you have to work with a group of Thrall-loyal Orcs to recover the "precious cargo" which the alliance have stolen from them. When they begin their assault their leader yells "Fight for the glory of your ancestors, and your TRUE warchief!"

This implies that Thrall promoting Garrosh to warchief was different from other warchief changes. Many of the Orcs loyal to Thrall seem very unhappy with the decision, and it almost seems as if they've had to go undercover out of fear.

At the same time, however, when you go to meet Garrosh for the first time as a Goblin (at the end of the starting zone), you deliver to him a message directly from Thrall. When Garrosh hears that Thrall sent you directly, the quest dialog indicates that Garrosh seems terrified to hear Thrall's name mentioned.

I suppose their conversation/encounter in which Thrall promotes Garrosh will be revealed later in the expansion and will explain these two strange happenings
    I played through it recently, as well. I don't think it was so much Garrosh being scared of Thrall as much as it was surprise that he was able to be captured so easily.

Thrall is taking a big step up. He's essentially graduating to a level of Warcraft hero that guys like Malfurion Stormrage, Tirion Fordring, etc. Those who transcend the bullshit going on between Horde and Alliance.

As for the Horde itself, it'll be rough but it is exploring a territory it hasn't really explored before. People keep saying that they're going back to what they were during Warcraft 2, but that's not completely true. Now they're being a more aggressive Horde without the demonic corruption to make raging, super bloodlust genocide fiends with red eyes.

This, along with the fact that the Alliance is also being a lot more aggressive, is basically turning this expansion into a PvPer's proverbial wet dream.

10+ Year Old Account
    Somewhere between Nagrand and your dreams
    Quote Originally Posted by willjones410 View Post
    Thrall is taking a big step up. He's essentially graduating to a level of Warcraft hero that guys like Malfurion Stormrage, Tirion Fordring, etc. Those who transcend the bullshit going on between Horde and Alliance.

As for the Horde itself, it'll be rough but it is exploring a territory it hasn't really explored before. People keep saying that they're going back to what they were during Warcraft 2, but that's not completely true. Now they're being a more aggressive Horde without the demonic corruption to make raging, super bloodlust genocide fiends with red eyes.

This, along with the fact that the Alliance is also being a lot more aggressive, is basically turning this expansion into a PvPer's proverbial wet dream.
    This is something thats been worrying me too. The idea of Thrall becoming a neutral figure like Tirion or Malfurion, just ruins the idea of what this could lead to. If Thrall were to become a neutral figure in wow after cataclysm, the only thought would be then the horde would be left without his leadership, or the example he represents for the orcs as a people.
    As a player, I have little choice who I join faction with, its either A or B, horde or alliance. And has such, I wouldn't have any choice in who I remain loyal too.

Quote Originally Posted by orcshaman24 View Post
    This is something thats been worrying me too. The idea of Thrall becoming a neutral figure like Tirion or Malfurion, just ruins the idea of what this could lead to. If Thrall were to become a neutral figure in wow after cataclysm, the only thought would be then the horde would be left without his leadership, or the example he represents for the orcs as a people.
    As a player, I have little choice who I join faction with, its either A or B, horde or alliance. And has such, I wouldn't have any choice in who I remain loyal too.
    Do like me and plan on hanging out with Vol'Jin at the Echo Isles. He's not digg'n Garrosh either mon.

10+ Year Old Account
    he may not dig garrosh but he's pulling a smart move and putting up with him anyway

10+ Year Old Account
    I support Garrosh 100%. The Horde was at its best back when we were bloodthirsty savages. I think Garrosh is too soft, honestly. His whole "YOU ARE DISMISSED" thing actually made me lose respect for him. War is war... you must kill your enemies by any means necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Lichfury View Post
    The sooner Thrall's gone, the better. I bought World of Warcraft assuming there would be ample war crafting, not walking on eggshells around our "allies", and indeed our enemies just to avoid the inevitable wars/battles. At least Garrosh will be so stupid as to ignite conflict and get it over with.
    this

but I believe Saurfang will someday be our Warchief

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildberry View Post
    oh well boo hoo, nobody cares, there are some people who prefer what the horde was in wc2
    Generic?
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomkinPotPie View Post
    this

but I believe Saurfang will someday be our Warchief
    ^This would be the awesomest awesome that ever awesomed.

Thrall is likely the Bolvar of this X-pac.

He going to die likely
    Paladins are Cool Now?
    What happen to Kalgan?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Garrosh is a new character, one that Blizzard brought into lore existence in BC and has been working on ever since. He's shaping up to take the mantle of warchief, and it looks like we'll still see plenty of thrall in cataclysm as he works to sooth the elements.

Garrosh may not be as good a warchief as thrall, but it's not like they're killing off thrall. have to mix things up at some point. they swapped out the stormwind "king" role from bolvar to varian, no one seemed to complain about that...
    they are not outright killing thrall cause A)everyone horde member would go more crazy than the people who caused them to stop real id of the forums and B) because he will help garrosh be less of an idiot XD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Knighthonor View Post
    Thrall is likely the Bolvar of this X-pac.

He going to die likely
    I doubt it. Retire to the Earthen Ring full-time, perhaps, but if they kill off someone like Thrall they're going to have to come up with a new Earthen Ring leader (which is the role it's safe to assume Thrall, as the most powerful shaman in the lore) that won't display bias between the Broken, Draenei, Tauren, Troll, Goblin, Wildhammer, and Orc members.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

10+ Year Old Account
    Thrall's balls! Wait a second! Those two words should never be in the same sentence with each other. You know. Because he's a sackless turd. Good riddance. I hope they off him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thrall will still be in the lore of Cataclysm, Involving the Mael'strom and Vol'jin's conversation with him in the echo isles I found it quite entertaining, and I really haven't made it much farther so far due to broken quests, but I'm sure he'll still be tied into this expansion plenty.