Thread: Earthquake Fix

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Earthquake Fix

Earthquake should be a instant cast non-channeld spell on a 45 second cooldown. Earthquake as is can be serverly overpowered in battlegrounds due to its ability to be spammed, but on the other hand it is worthless in arena. This version makes the shaman have to think of the right time to use the ability instead of spamming it every 10 seconds out of 15 but in return allows him to not have to channel therefore allowing him to still put out damage/CC on targets.

Earthquake as is will make it so elemental shamans are brought into rated bg's to simply spam EQ as much as they can on flags/groups of people and for that it will get nerfed. My way makes the shaman think and use strategy in using his ability but makes it more useful in all points of the game

For Pvers: Glyph of Earthquak- Makes EQ channeld and removes cooldown and knockdown effect

That's actually not a terrible idea.

Well, except for the mandatory Glyph part.

1.) ele finally gets an channeled range aoe dmg cast like every other caster and you want to make it instant cast? worse even, you want to raise the cooldown to 45 seconds? helloooooo thunderstorm²

2.) how do you spam an ability with a 15 second cooldown

3.) lol ele will be brought into rated bg´s because of earthquake? lololol how about not standing on one spot with 15 people? how about blinking/charging/sprinting out of it? frostmages CAN spam blizzard, an aoe slow, but i dont see bg´s swarming with them nor blizzard nerfing the spell

4.) your way gimps an sub-optimal talent, which shouldn´t even be one, but an baseline ability instead, into total obilivion

5.) the glyph does about half of what needs to be done with the spell without a glyph

i dunno wether or not you are a troll, and wether i should think of you as a cluesless noob, an idiot or a jackass for trolling.

yes i know im not very kind right now, im sorry (not)
    Quote Originally Posted by Angoth
    I'm sorry that Blizzard won't just gift wrap awesome in a cup and let you drink your fill.

They would have to make the glyph do something special to make it so it just isnt a 31pt aoe talent for PvEr's i agree with that.

Deleted
    it sucks in every form,

A top tier talent should be something you use all the time, not on aoe packs (not all trash is aoe any more).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shøckzør View Post
    Earthquake should be a instant cast non-channeld spell on a 45 second cooldown. Earthquake as is can be serverly overpowered in battlegrounds due to its ability to be spammed, but on the other hand it is worthless in arena. This version makes the shaman have to think of the right time to use the ability instead of spamming it every 10 seconds out of 15 but in return allows him to not have to channel therefore allowing him to still put out damage/CC on targets.

Earthquake as is will make it so elemental shamans are brought into rated bg's to simply spam EQ as much as they can on flags/groups of people and for that it will get nerfed. My way makes the shaman think and use strategy in using his ability but makes it more useful in all points of the game

For Pvers: Glyph of Earthquak- Makes EQ channeld and removes cooldown and knockdown effect
    The character map in your name suggested a terribad, you post backed it up.

1) Making it instant cast would actualy amke it more effective because you can still do damage while its knocking people down which is why it would need a longer cooldown. Earthbind instant cast EQ = good CC and give you time to get some good damage off

2)It lasts for 10 seconds meaning it only has 5 second down time thats pretty spammable. I think you took it in the wrong context.

3)Mages already have enough control that they dont need to cast blizzard and it only slows if talented not knockdown which makes you lose all control of your character for a set of time

3) Having shamans on both sides casting EQ's on flags so no one can cap will make the ability as is get nerfed

4) Makes it better in every aspect and people on other forums have actually said my fix could make it more OP

Deleted
    4) Makes it better in every aspect and people on other forums have actually said my fix could make it more OP
    Therefore not being a fix in any way shape or form.

Not when you think about it becuase while it's instant it's on a 45 second cooldown meaning most classes who have a defensive cooldown to get out of this will have it back up before the 45 seconds has past meaning you either have to force them to use there defence cooldown on something else than use it or root them and than cast EQ over them.

1) Making it instant cast would actualy amke it more effective because you can still do damage while its knocking people down which is why it would need a longer cooldown. Earthbind instant cast EQ = good CC and give you time to get some good damage off

2)It lasts for 10 seconds meaning it only has 5 second down time thats pretty spammable. I think you took it in the wrong context.

3)Mages already have enough control that they dont need to cast blizzard and it only slows if talented not knockdown which makes you lose all control of your character for a set of time

3) Having shamans on both sides casting EQ's on flags so no one can cap will make the ability as is get nerfed

1.) earthquake still only has a "chance" to knockback. it´s not like you´re hitting the button and for the duration of the spell every single one will be unable to move an inch.
    2.) the very definition of spammable means you can hit the button non stop, using it the whole time ( like purge, moonfire, curse of agony....) the one taking it in the wrong context is you.
    3a.)(you have two 3)´s) you are right that mages already have so much control that they do not even need blizzard for pvp. doesn´t change my point though of them having it. also it has a 15% chance to freeze enemies trough the frostbite talent. hmmmm low % chance to aoe freeze opponents vs low chance to aoe knockback them... sounds pretty comparable. for a melee it´s pretty much the same, he cant do a thing if affected by it. and fyi: when knockbacked ( the kinda knockback where you fall on your bum ) you are still able to cast spells.
    3b.) having any kind of class/spec casting aoe dmg stuff on flags will make people unable to cap flags, because damage...(drum roll) hinders you from capping *gosh!*
    4.) makes it better in every aspect? how does it improve pve aoe for shaman with a higher cooldown? how is that every aspect? pve makes up more up than pvp even. other people told you it´s op? lol, no shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angoth
    I'm sorry that Blizzard won't just gift wrap awesome in a cup and let you drink your fill.

Death and Decay originally had a slightly similar mechanic in woltk beta, it would fear people standing in death and decay for 1-2 seconds randomly. It was removed, I don't see this mechanic sticking for earthquake either. It will probably be changed to a slow, or possibly just an interrupt.

Slightly off topic, The animation for Earthquake is awesome! *shuffles back out of the thread*

10+ Year Old Account
    The defense would like to present Exhibit A: Destruction warlocks with Aftermath. I was sad to see it go, and I'm most happy to see it come back <3. You can complain about shammies channeling a chance-on-tick knockback, and I'll channel a chance-on-tick stun right over top. And RoF IS spammable. However, you're forgetting a couple of very basic, very obvious things. First:
    First, almost every AoE tossed out by a caster can be "spammmed", although if it has a 15-second cooldown, I suspect you're using the word wrong. I propose a small genre of questions for you.

1) Is the warlock going to be spamming RoF in PvP as much as possible?
    2) Is the mage going to be spamming Blizzard in PvP as much as possible?
    3) Is the rogue going to be spamming Fan of Knives as much as possible?
    The answer to all three: NO. Why in heaven's name would you spam an AoE with a midly-helpful proc when you could be doing something much more useful? The 'lock is going to be nuking, the mage is going to be freezing and kiting, and the rogue is going to be locking people down (and I'm not talking about simple stuns, I'm talking actual control).

Earthquake as is will make it so elemental shamans are brought into rated bg's to simply spam EQ as much as they can on flags/groups of people and for that it will get nerfed.
    You obviously haven't yet paid enough attention to notice that it is an AoE just like that of any other caster, or several non-casters. I have yet to see a Frost mage brought into premade BGs just to spam AoE over one target. That would be a HORRENDOUS waste of abilities, for a fairly useless proc. See also: Elemental shammy spamming AoE instead of nuking.

Another issue you don't seem to think of is, "What is this shaman able to do whilst channeling this most uncouth spell?" The answer is, pretty much nothing. Just like the warlock trying vainly to stun people coming after him, the proc effect isn't going to occur quickly enough to provide any real protection, and you are pretty much helpless while doing it. You can't move, you can't cast other spells, you waste the 15-second cooldown if you stop early to run, and you're a VERY easy target for a spell school lockout.

There is absolutely no legitimate reason for a shaman to simply spend the whole BG using Earthquake, unless it's a 'bot attempting to keep active so they don't get kicked out. Earthquake is just like pretty much any other AoE with a proc, except on a cooldown. Congratulations, the sky is falling. About the only actual sense I could make out of this complaint was that you really, really wanted it to be instant-cast instead of channeled, so you pretend that it's broken and in need of fixing.
    85 paladin Prot/Holy, 85 warlock Destro/Affliction, 85 priest Holy/Disc, 85 druid Feral/Resto, 85 shaman Resto/Enhancement, 85 rogue Combat/Combat, 85 mage Fire/Arcane, 85 death knight Blood/Frost, 85 warrior Prot/Arms, 85 hunter Surv/BM.

My name is Citaxis, and I'm an altoholic. My first step is admitting I have a problem. I even have the addon.

The 5 seconds gap can be filled with a CL, magma totem, fire nova, CL
    Last edited by Kekk; 2010-07-22 at 10:22 AM. Reason: typo

Basement-dwelling gaming nerds who honestly think they can do a better job designing video games than a professional, multi-million dollar game development company that has been around for decades and has thousands of top-notch developers in it's pay-roll make me chuckle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dancing Turkey View Post
    Slightly off topic, The animation for Earthquake is awesome! *shuffles back out of the thread*
    Me too!!!

On topic: if you guys want glyphs to "fix it" here's my idea
    PVE: removes knockdown, damage increased by 20%
    PVP: knockdown is now 50%, cooldown is now 30-45 seconds

That way its a (semi) reliable knockdown spell in pvp and the cd keeps it from being spammed. Pve, I've heard rumors it doesn't hit hard but the beta's capped at 82 so we'll have to see

Put simply?

No.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Should just leave it as it was orginally. 2 second cast, 10 sec duration, 15 sec cd. Makes it useable pve, bgs, and arena, and depending on the numbers, might even make single target dps a little more interesting.
    Last edited by openair; 2010-07-22 at 05:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mixup View Post
    Basement-dwelling gaming nerds who honestly think they can do a better job designing video games than a professional, multi-million dollar game development company that has been around for decades and has thousands of top-notch developers in it's pay-roll make me chuckle.
    >Because blizzard always nails balances and talent trees and spells and...
    actually alot of ideas come from forums as you can see from the posts they make, people discussing these things can actually make a change if alot of people stand behind it and support it believe it or not, ofc you would have to be on the official forums for that to happen probably