Question Is Mage PVP Fun?

Greetings, I have recently played a gnome mage to eighty, and started the PVP gearing process,
    I'm sitting at about 2300 sp, 500 resil, the gear is obviously still a work in progress, but at this point I am having little to no fun in Bg's, frostbolts hit for about 2k, I can't kill much of anything, a geared spriest's dot's will kill me alone. My other mains are a holy pally, I never play him anymore after getting relentless weapon about six months ago; and a balance druid, LOADS of fun in bg's, about 3k sp and 1.2k resil.

So obviously I don't expect to roll people like I can on my druid, but my real question is; are mages really enjoyable in bg's with good correct gear and in the right hands?

I see a lot of mages around anymore so I'd assume they are, but I don't want to waste my time gearing one for pvp if I feel like even then i'll need a ton of pve gear to compete.

15+ Year Old Account
    if you are good at it: yes.
    if you are not: no.

that's literally what it comes down to in terms of mage PvP.
    BfA Beta Time

They are, frost is the best spec to have fun with against any melee, just imagine the river of tears brought by an enemy which even can't get to you!

i quit my mage from all play, i lvled him with the sole intent of "world pvp" and bgs, and boy was i disappointed. I found as a mage, you rather blow ppl up really fast, which is fun, or you dont, and u just run around doing weak dmg with casts.

so then i lvled a spriest and that is about 100x more fun than my mage lol
    This bro told a cool story on 2009-12-03 and proudly took part in the banfest.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hiimjoe View Post
    i quit my mage from all play, i lvled him with the sole intent of "world pvp" and bgs, and boy was i disappointed. I found as a mage, you rather blow ppl up really fast, which is fun, or you dont, and u just run around doing weak dmg with casts.

so then i lvled a spriest and that is about 100x more fun than my mage lol
    this is an example of someone who is not good at mage PvP.
    BfA Beta Time

Yeah I feel that i'm a competitive player, having reached 1800 on two toons, and i'm fully aware of how easy it would be to just roll a priest and roll face.
    I just liked the idea of my mage, but I've been disappointed thus far. I know mages take more skill than most other classes, and I'm completely alright with that, I wouldn't have it any other way, but right now in the middle of a battle in any bg, if I start getting shot by a hunter i'm dead in seconds with no hope, and I realize this really doesn't change too much with gear, based on the amount of mage QQ about hunters.

Anyway I'm going to grind it out for a bit, hoping the reward will be fulfilling, thanks for the comments.

Another thing, can a mage function to the same degree as other classes with full pvp gear? Right now I only have access to furious/horor gear

In BG's mage can be utterly boring and you can die alot if a couple target you. and sadly you have no chance vs a SP or Hunter.
    In Arenas you can pick your playstyle and pick your partners with it.
    With a Defensive Healer you will need ALOT of CC and try to LoS healers from DPS.
    With a Offensive healer you will mainly need to CC the DPS and keep it away from you while bursting the healer
    With a DPS you have so much burst, sadly if you dont blow up one of the 2 fast ur dead urself.

Mage is a pretty versatile class with insane burst, cant think of any other Class that can only dps and have ALOT of options in making a choice of playstyle.
    Also its the only toon i could do Iron man on without any extra help. I could easily get to the home base whith some CD's and Warriorkiting, LOLSTORM!!! Blink, have fun mr warrior

Well Fire Mage PvP is the best fun I've had PvP-wise in WoW, but I found the Frost Mage playstyle one of the most boring things I've done in WoW. Haven't really given Arcane a shot, but the playstyle of Fire is the best fun I've had.

Recommend trying it out at least.

The problem I have with fire right now is how squishey I am, even as frost
    I would enjoy the fast fire playstyle more no doubt, but I'll get mowed by hunters among others even quicker

I have arcane/frost right now, I've been playing arcane mostly thus far because it's the only way for me to put out any real pressure

i played my mage frost and i hated it. frostbolt was lolable (i was trying to gear it up)

and then i use my spriest, pve spec, pve gear, can you say faceroll?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Fascists should be marginalized, ostracized, bullied and on the occasion, decked. Their ideology is a cancer in our species.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Bigots don't deserve debate.
    War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Diversity is strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Putricidegoodnews View Post
    i played my mage frost and i hated it. frostbolt was lolable (i was trying to gear it up)

and then i use my spriest, pve spec, pve gear, can you say faceroll?
    Yeah I'm fully aware of how easy spriests are, they don't take any skill, thus making them much like a ranged ret paladin but with a bit higher skill cap.
    I don't want that though, I don't respect people that play outrageously easy classes in PVP and are proud of their 'skills'

Quote Originally Posted by timkeller1111 View Post
    ..I don't respect people that play outrageously easy classes in PVP and are proud of their 'skills'
    I'm pretty sure a lot of those people were sticking to their class even when disc was the only viable option while you were leveling your mage, expecting to stomp everything in bg's once you will hit 80. Are they supposed to ditch their class the second something becomes good just to earn your respect?

^^^^WOW NICE TO KNOW U HAVE LVL 2 TAUREN MALE DRUID
    OT: its fun
    Very bad.

Deleted
    I like all the shadow priest hate in this thread. Well, just because you find it hard to play against shadow priests doesn't mean it's 'faceroll'.. I am sure all the melee classes like to categorize mages as 'faceroll' too.
    As shadow priest you have to play very versatile. Both with the offensive dispelling, defensive dispelling, hybrid healing, pressuring and defensive playing, combining burst with crowd control etc (in arena that is).
    The mage class has a very high skill cap, yes. But their defensive/escape mechanics, crowd control and pve rotations can be very effective at a very low skill level and easily be compared to hunters (pve rotations too).
    I hardly believe your pvp skills are such high that you could reach the skill cap of a shadow priest, so don't throw 'faceroll' out of your mouth too often, because I believe facerolling is what you do daily on your mage.

I honestly do not have as much fun on my mage as I do on any of the other Char's I play. This just goes for BGs though. I only do arenas on my main. I like to do BGs as a break to relieve some stress from boring raiding and boring RL things. I like to just be able to "play" when i'm in a BG. But as a mage, I have alot more to react and pay attention to, due to the fragility of my class, and there are very many CC based utilities usable by my class that are designed to compensate for that fragility. But also due to the nature of your class, u tend to be a focus target, which is never fun unless your an unkillable healer. If you're like me, and u play BGs for relaxed fun, then a mage isnt for you. but arenas are another story im sure.

hope this helps =)
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by BadBadBad View Post
    ^^^^WOW NICE TO KNOW U HAVE LVL 2 TAUREN MALE DRUID
    He needed to have one of every class!

It takes time to become good at PvP; once you do, you'll love it. I love it, I love the learning curve, and I love the tears of all malee who bitch about how OP they are. They're definitely not for everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sl
    So you just see mages running up to the boss going "AGGHHH"
    and everyone else being like, "What.. what are you doing?"
    "CDS UP BRO DONT WORRY, AHHHPEWPEWPEPEW"

Quote Originally Posted by niteline View Post
    In BG's mage can be utterly boring and you can die alot if a couple target you. and sadly you have no chance vs a SP

heres another example, the first being the one swizzle highlighted.
    Even my horse has a Celestial Steed.
    http://imgur.com/kIg56.png

Quote Originally Posted by Funkthepunk View Post
    I like all the shadow priest hate in this thread. Well, just because you find it hard to play against shadow priests doesn't mean it's 'faceroll'.. I am sure all the melee classes like to categorize mages as 'faceroll' too.
    As shadow priest you have to play very versatile. Both with the offensive dispelling, defensive dispelling, hybrid healing, pressuring and defensive playing, combining burst with crowd control etc (in arena that is).
    The mage class has a very high skill cap, yes. But their defensive/escape mechanics, crowd control and pve rotations can be very effective at a very low skill level and easily be compared to hunters (pve rotations too).
    I hardly believe your pvp skills are such high that you could reach the skill cap of a shadow priest, so don't throw 'faceroll' out of your mouth too often, because I believe facerolling is what you do daily on your mage.
    I'm not talking about 2700 arenas here, I'm talking about overall pvp i.e. mostly bg's
    Running around in a BG tab dotting is indeed facerolling; sure there are some great players that will also take note of teammates and worry about dispels, but most won't, and they'll be damn proud of the fact that they're first on the damage done scale. Spriests are a very easy class to play, a warlock is one of the two characters that i've taken to 1800, and a spriest is basically a carbon copy with the addition of healing, a MUCH more reliable dispel, non-infinite mana, more burst, and less utility (pets, port, etc.)

And to the dude that said I rerolled my mage to melt faces and be OP, as irrelevant as my motive to reroll was, it was quite the opposite; I basically hit the skill cap on my holy paladin, because it's baby shit, anyone who thinks otherwise is either lying or in denial.
    Last edited by timkeller1111; 2010-07-23 at 06:06 AM.