Thread: Trolls & You!

Trolls & You!

I've noticed a sickening recurrence not only here on MMO-Champion, but on the Official Forums as well as the internet in general.

Let me try to do this in all caps -- maybe it'll sink in.

A TROLL IS NOT SOMEONE WHO DISAGREES WITH YOU.

I think this definition of Troll is best:
    Troll: A person hiding within the anonymity of the internet who's sole purpose is to illicit a negative reaction from you and, once hooked, their goal is to keep you occupied for as long as he can, wasting your time while he plays the role of puppeteer, manipulating your actions through provocation.

Step 1 of being trolled is being tempted into response. They'll generally get your attention 1 of two ways.

1: The troll will take an unpopular stance on a given topic, usually involving racism or sexism, regardless of whether or not said troll actually feels that way.
    For example: "Women belong in the kitchen." or "Blacks shouldn't have the right to vote.

2: The troll ridicule you with no real basis.
    For example: You're so retarded. If I thought you could even understand the first thing that's wrong with that statement, I might help you understand it."

Step 2 of being trolled is the actual runaround. The most common phrases here are "U mad bro?" -- EVEN if you respond with "I'm not mad. Try harder." The more you respond, the deeper you're being trolled. Don't even try to fool yourself into thinking you're trolling him, when you're the one trying to prove you aren't mad. The best way to counter a troll is, like the old adage says, "Do not feed the Troll"

That's how a troll operates. . . Learn it.

On to other news. . ..

What a lot of people don't understand is. . . . your suggestions. . . are quite frankly stupid! And I'll go out of my way to explain why they're stupid. This doesn't make me a troll, this makes me an honest and constructive critic!
    Stop flinging it around because, ironically enough, if the immediate response to criticism is "you're a troll." You're just being a troll, yourself! And everybody can see it.

Here's the short version:
    I beg you guys to learn what a troll actually is -- and please stop flinging needless accusations (particularly against me!) because someone dared to make a criticism, or take the time to explain why your idea is flawed. After all, if people stop criticizing you on your presentation, you'll just make the presentation again, and look stupid. You only get better at something if someone shows you what you did wrong, it's how things have worked since all of you were children. You try, you mess up, you're showed what you did wrong. You get it right.

Why is it when you mess up, and someone tries to show you what you did wrong, they're suddenly bad people?

I'm gonna just go ahead and call it now. The first comment will be a troll.

CWUTIDIDTHUR?

Quote Originally Posted by XeliosX View Post
    if the immediate response to criticism is "you're a troll." You're just being a troll, yourself! And everybody can see it.
    Well there you go. If you have reasonable logic and they, as you described; "ridiculed you with no basis", then it looks like... you got trolled. Having this post about educating the general public on trolls is only feeding said troll. :/ If you have no reasonable logic e.g. "Your idea is stupid because I said so." then you're trolling, yer damn pretentious hypocrite.

And anyway, it's fairly established what a troll is, it's unnecessary to post a wall of text about it.
    Last edited by Sápphh; 2010-07-22 at 04:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zefie View Post
    SOFTWARE VERSIONS SOMETIMES SKIP NUMBERS. THANK YOU.