Thread: Spirit...

10+ Year Old Account

Spirit...

Hey I've come up with a few issues with the addition of spirit on certain pieces of gear recently and would like to hash out whats the deal. I've had healers and healer supporters leave ICC grps because items with Spirit on it has gone to caster DPS in protest, claiming spirit is primarily a healing stat. Then of course there are the DPS who say its good for Caster DPS and defend that point with those talents that give 20-30% of spirit to SP for em.

I just want to know, as a RL who uses MS Roll rule to distribute gear, if Spirit would be Healer only MS item, or Healer and Caster DPS. I know its special case for Warlocks, since I believe a lot of their stuff has to do with Spirit, but I would most like to know if the benefits of the Spirit for Caster DPS far and largely outweighs the benefits to Healers.

Debate commence... Nao!
    (Plz no random flaming)

Honestly, I think this is more of a 'who is it a bigger upgrade for' scenario. Yes, spirit can be useful for casters, but (in my opinion) it is not an essential stat. If you have two equally geared players, one a healer, and one a caster, the item would probably benefit the healer more.

It really changes class to class, spec to spec. However I would never assess a Spirit item as healer-only. For example, shadow priests are amongst the casters that get lowest benefit from Spirit items however they still make our BiS lists. San'layn Ritualist Gloves is a good example. Hell Sanctified Crimson Acolyte Leggings, the 277 healing version of our T10 is 1st BiS item if you are hit-capped.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    It can change a LOT from class to class and spec to spec: in Wrath, Blizz changed Spirit so it actually does help casters. If I were master looter (a job I absolutely loathe and avoid at all costs), I'd say HIT is DPS and Mp5 is healer... but Spirit is Spirit.

My main is a demo 'lock (yeah, special case, I know). My current stat weights are: STA=0.51. INT=0.73. SPI=2.36. HASTE=1.96. CRIT=1.42. SP=3.65. You'll notice Spirit (as a caster DPS) is my second most important stat. (These are weights for a 25-man raid, not for individual DPS: demonic pact throws a monkey wrench in things.)

If I got a spirit piece and a healer left because of it... well, need to learn to play, pure and simple.

I'm a MS Holy Priest and roll on items without spirit if it's an upgrade for me, it's only fair if caster DPS can roll on items with spirit.

Depends on the class. Warlocks scale very badly with spirit, a minor scale from Fel armor.
    Mages have dropped spirit mostly since there are few pieces that are good in ICC.
    However moonkins still scale very nicely with spirit so that's one class that can actually still use spirit.
    Spriest scales pretty well also I believe.

Thanks to Stanton Biston for the amazing sig!

Quote Originally Posted by Aelith View Post
    Warlocks scale very badly with spirit, a minor scale from Fel armor.
    Really?

also spirit boosts the crit benefit from a mage's molten armor
    "How easily the mind can be turned to hate from a place of fear - an instinctive, natural, protective response. Instead of focusing on the things that unite us, we focus on what divides us." - Thrall

Mages have dropped spirit mostly since there are few pieces that are good in ICC.
    The thing is, spirit is kinda of a second rate (3rd or 4th even?) stat but if you kept your 2pcs T9 you still benefit from the buff to molten armor to crit even after you switch to T10, as fire or arcane this is about 2-4% extra crit from spirit only, depending on gear.
    Quote Originally Posted by coolcatchris
    also, we're not glass cannons anymore, we haven't been for ages. either that or everyone is a cannon, and some are plate cannons.

Warlocks scale very badly with spirit, a minor scale from Fel armor.
    Demo locks have the highest spirit scaling in the entire game... 79%

However moonkins still scale very nicely with spirit so that's one class that can actually still use spirit.
    boomkins get .3 spellpower per spirit making it their weakest stat.

Spriest scales pretty well also I believe.
    Spirit is also spriests' weakest stat.