Deleted

Hiding Combat Log

Hi all.

Basically, I'm looking for a way to permanently hide the Combat Log tab from displaying next to the General Tab.

I just want to delete/disable/hide it somehow, so it just doesn't appear there (don't care if there's no way back).

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    Last edited by mmoc7bfb462d53; 2010-07-29 at 01:57 PM.

The combat log itself cannot be turned off, the addon API guarantees that it's always there. That's how addons can rely on it.

I use this http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-a...assicfade.aspx to fade the buttons away like they used to pre-patch 3.3.5.

If you're concerned that the combat log is taking up a lot of resources, especially when it's not being displayed, it doesn't.

Gershuun @ Borean Tundra US - Interface & Macros Moderator

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lawomous View Post
    If you're concerned that the combat log is taking up a lot of resources, especially when it's not being displayed, it doesn't.
    Thanks about this, that was the main concern I had. Since combat log appeared after the patch, I seemed to have some minor fps decrease. But! could be anything really

Anyways, do you know how much resources Combat Log takes up?

Thanks!

It takes up absolutely no video or audio resources. Having your helm and cloak displayed will probably affect your game more than this.

Gershuun @ Borean Tundra US - Interface & Macros Moderator

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Almost no resources, Yaroslavwow. WoW still recieves all those Combat Log messages if you have it "turned off" - it just doesn't display any of them.

And just a note, the Combat Log has been a default "chat" window since WoW 1.x was still in beta stages, and was revamped to be simpler and use even less resources in patch 2.4. It hasn't really been changed much (at all?) since then.

Since the combat log is actually a required mechanism its resource usage is irrelevant, if you can even measure it.
    What you can do though is prevent or restrict the content which actually appears on it, since that is just a processed display of the internal one.
    Hover over the chat, on the tab right click and select Settings. Categories - Combat.
    Add Filter - and some applicable name - Blank or something like that, since that is exactly what this display will be.
    Turn off everyting under message sources, and message types.
    Select that from your combat log, it will be either along the top edge or under the arrow on the right.
    It is not not having to interpret your log, and addons will be unaffected since they only use the internal one anyway.

As for hiding it, then there is no proper way, but an approach I found was to drag it out so undocking it, otherwise this next approach does not seem to work.
    Then by running the following script, it can be hidden.

/script ChatFrame2:Hide()

Can be reveresed by

/script ChatFrame2:Show().

That will only work until you log off as far as I know, so as to how you would choose to run that every time is up to you.

If anything it is believed to be taking up more resources than before, where it was plain text. now being a database of sorts.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I can see that - but it's using far less in the way of network bandwidth (especially in a raid).

And while it is a database of sorts, it's mostly just references to things that the WoW client is already databasing while in combat (guids and such), or that it has in a database already (player spells, etc). I believe this makes it actually use less resources on it's own, but I could be wrong on that.

It certainly according to posts a while back did bring some performance issues, though I am wondering if instead that may have been from the addons using it, where they were more efficient with the text parsing.

Deleted
    Thanks!