Page 1 of 3
LastLast

I'm tired of ret not being able to kill healers

I am just so upset that I feel forced to go holy in arenas because they are more viable then ret. Im tired of not being able to kill healers or people with high resilience in pvp as a ret paladin. Is there anything I can do? Maybe im specd wrong or gear is bad (GS is 5175, full furious and a wrathful piece)..but it seems I survive fine and dont take much dmg..but I swear I cant kill people..its like I pop cd's and hope I get lucky and catch them in a bind and if not I have to wait again to pop them at a time I feel like i can pull it off.

Is this the playstyle of ret? Nothing but burst and pray for kills? I am not trolling, I am just fed up with ret pvp right now and wish blizzard would take away some of our defensive talents for instead some offensive ones (like a MS spell or interrupt)

TLR- is there a way rets can be viable in pvp other than killing low resil players in BGs? If so can you steer me into that direction?

Can someone please help shed some light on this for me? Thanks

armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...on&cn=Vilenkin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ershiin View Post
    Oh.. My.. God..
    This is petty beyond belief.

Why dont we start complaining about how M&Ms should be color coded while we're at it?
    Or how it should be called a Burger with Cheese because Cheeseburger is misleading?

Quote Originally Posted by Rukus View Post
    I am just so upset that I feel forced to go holy in arenas because they are more viable then ret. Im tired of not being able to kill healers or people with high resilience in pvp as a ret paladin. Is there anything I can do? Maybe im specd wrong or gear is bad (GS is 5175, full furious and a wrathful piece)..but it seems I survive fine and dont take much dmg..but I swear I cant kill people..its like I pop cd's and hope I get lucky and catch them in a bind and if not I have to wait again to pop them at a time I feel like i can pull it off.

Is this the playstyle of ret? Nothing but burst and pray for kills? I am not trolling, I am just fed up with ret pvp right now and wish blizzard would take away some of our defensive talents for instead some offensive ones (like a MS spell or interrupt)

TLR- is there a way rets can be viable in pvp other than killing low resil players in BGs? If so can you steer me into that direction?

Can someone please help shed some light on this for me? Thanks

armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...on&cn=Vilenkin
    Your gear is dated, you won't be killing ppl in 264+ & BIS pieces. That being said, even if you were in relentless/wrathful with a decent weapon, you will still find that you can't kill healers; it's an inherent problem with ret PvP. When you're counting on your judgements to deal damage and you see 2-3k judgements while you're getting hit by <insert any other dps class direct dmg> for 6k+ easy, you can see why ret just sucks now. I switched from ret to protret and have been able to deal with healers much better than if I were purely ret pvp spec'd. The only reason I would switch back to ret at this point is if I got my hands on a shadowmourne. If you want to continue using a 2-hander for PvP and actually be a threat, roll up a warrior.

Ret isn't the only class that can't kill healers on your own.

The tradeoff for Ret is that they are a lot better solo than the Warrior.

The only problem I see with your spec is you are ret and not arms.

Personally the only way I could get healers down was by using SoJ, not using many damage abilities and changing targets a lot. If I live long enough the randomness of the damage and the stun can mess with them enough to get low enough to actually throw everything at them and pray for some crits.

Any decent geared healer seems to be able to handle ret burst with little trouble unless you get really lucky or you do something to mess them up. This is also why I just PvP with my pve prot build, I find I am more useful but I don't arena and I am sure prot isn't of much use for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceara View Post
    Ret isn't the only class that can't kill healers on your own.

The tradeoff for Ret is that they are a lot better solo than the Warrior.
    alot better solo than plenty of specs...but like this guy said,, ret is not alone in this
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius
    Man, Vanilla was so cool, where the final boss of the instance dropped weapons that shared models with blues and greens!
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=17076#same-model-as
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=17074#same-model-as
    and he went on and listed about 16 more items...truly...a champion for logic

Rets are about pressure, you pretty much negate the final ~15% health and you have amazing support abilitys.. When you're not CCed out, killing things solo was never a Ret's job, its all about supporting a team mate

I appreciate all of your kind and thoughtful responses. I thought about rolling a warrior and I did up to lvl 60 but the playstyle really doesnt fit me (my main is a rogue). But with the new changes coming in Cata, do you think ret pvp will actually be worth a grain of salt? If not in arena, maybe rated BGs? I would hate to abandon a spec and class I really enjoy playing

---------- Post added 2010-07-25 at 04:09 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Goosie View Post
    Your gear is dated, you won't be killing ppl in 264+ & BIS pieces. That being said, even if you were in relentless/wrathful with a decent weapon, you will still find that you can't kill healers; it's an inherent problem with ret PvP. When you're counting on your judgements to deal damage and you see 2-3k judgements while you're getting hit by <insert any other dps class direct dmg> for 6k+ easy, you can see why ret just sucks now. I switched from ret to protret and have been able to deal with healers much better than if I were purely ret pvp spec'd. The only reason I would switch back to ret at this point is if I got my hands on a shadowmourne. If you want to continue using a 2-hander for PvP and actually be a threat, roll up a warrior.
    Would you be so kind to let me see your armory in your protret spec and gear please?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ershiin View Post
    Oh.. My.. God..
    This is petty beyond belief.

Why dont we start complaining about how M&Ms should be color coded while we're at it?
    Or how it should be called a Burger with Cheese because Cheeseburger is misleading?

Quote Originally Posted by Rukus View Post
    I appreciate all of your kind and thoughtful responses. I thought about rolling a warrior and I did up to lvl 60 but the playstyle really doesnt fit me (my main is a rogue). But with the new changes coming in Cata, do you think ret pvp will actually be worth a grain of salt? If not in arena, maybe rated BGs? I would hate to abandon a spec and class I really enjoy playing

---------- Post added 2010-07-25 at 04:09 PM ----------

Would you be so kind to let me see your armory in your protret spec and gear please?
    I pretty much only do BGs now, since my old 2's partner quit the game (we were ret/rogue). I use a lot of PvE gear in place of PvP gear to stack str and have enough hit (you don't want AS missing). Survivability isn't as big of an issue with protret, so I generally don't feel the need to use my pvp trinket.

I feel the same about my warrior, it doesn't feel fun at all compared to ret. But it's undeniable how strong they are once they get some gear. Since I wasn't invited to cata closed beta, I can't really comment on where ret will be in terms of pvp. It seems Blizzard is hell-bent on making ret paladins more "complex" (I use that word lightly) than actually competitive.
    Last edited by Samoflange; 2010-08-18 at 04:34 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    PvP has been - for a long while now - a matter of flavor of the month.
    A test to your patience, your ability to reroll the best class/spec.

Alot of people won't be playing what they like to be the best in PvP, they'll be playing what's the best.

That said, as everyone rolls towards some popular spec/comp, a new counter usually arises, and the new flavor begins.

We'll see how this goes in Cataclysm.
    Why did you create a new thread? Use the search function and post in existing threads!
    Why did you necro a thread?

If you want to kill healers roll a rogue.

Otherwise you'll have to be like the rest of the dps specs.

They do that so rogues keep playing, and to apply the philosophy that if one player can solo a healer, even a 2's team and especially larger teams will have no trouble knocking a healer down like a bowling pin.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm also really frustrated with pvp at the moment. I LOVE my ret paladin but the highest I've been able to manage on him was 2k rating in 2s and then we (me + disc priest) would hit a wall, I considered going holy but I don't see a point in playing a spec I don't like...yea I've given it a chance in the past.
    Last edited by Arov; 2010-07-25 at 08:11 PM.

You have bad gear. That's problem one.

But let's think about this, if any dps can solo a healer, then what's the point of bringing a healer? There is no way they can survive 4 people beating on them long enough for their teammates to peel.

PVP only works because very very few dps can solo a healer.
    Nom Nom Nom [NNF] (2 points) - When you Ferocious Bite a target at or below 25% health, you have a 50/100% chance to instantly refresh the duration of your Rip on the target.

get a proper weapon enchant first.... and talking about killing healers, well for me its nothing hard just Hammer and go Hammer time! be sure to use your cds when he is stunned, you want to kill it when it cant heal itself and thats all.... unless its a druid but that subject should be near "nerf druids" but yeah atleast for me tanks, warlocks and rogues are the players to watch out in pvp

furious gear, shit enchants or none at all, terribad gemming. take care of your gear first and unless you have full wrathful with some rel dont expect to kill a healer in any bg unless they have some major playstyle issues.

on protret note - with full wrathful and BiS 277 you can bring down any healer 1v1 from 100 to 20 in one lockout and if you get lucky with dbw/dc procs you might even pull off a kill. protrets dmg is insane + it DELIVERS, so if you cant get a decent 2h wep - just go protret

Deleted
    Ret can kill healers that undergear them PvP wise (EG: your furious vs a hateful priest should`nt be a problem)other than that. No. :| i share your pain.

I have never played Ret but I have PVP as Holy and Pret. I love playing Holy but I guess some people don't enjoy healing.

Your other option as some have said is prot ret (pret), the damage you can do is pretty insane, even if your gear isn't that great. Personally, I haven't faced any team with a ret paladin as a threat but they are really burst and can sometimes surprise me (I'm playing in the 2k bracket though, so not exactly the topnotch players). According to ArenaJunkies rankings there are only 2-3 or so Ret paladins on the top teams, so you can get far but you probably have to be amazing.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by halpfultroll View Post
    I have never played Ret but I have PVP as Holy and Pret. I love playing Holy but I guess some people don't enjoy healing.

Your other option as some have said is prot ret (pret), the damage you can do is pretty insane, even if your gear isn't that great. Personally, I haven't faced any team with a ret paladin as a threat but they are really burst and can sometimes surprise me (I'm playing in the 2k bracket though, so not exactly the topnotch players). According to ArenaJunkies rankings there are only 2-3 or so Ret paladins on the top teams, so you can get far but you probably have to be amazing.
    error 9001 the word burst+ret does not compute.
    and
    its over 9000!

A well geared ret can kill a healer but you need help. For instance if you have a partner who can dispel and you catch a preist with no shield no trinket and you have wings. You can definitely kill a healer, you just have to line things up perfectly. Can't faceroll like a warrior or hunter with damage. Ret requires some work

If you ever wonder why people dislike ret in pvp, people like the OP are why
    Actually, Mr. Lennon, I CAN imagine a world with no hatred, religion, war, or violence.
    I can also imagine attacking such a world, because they would never see it coming.

http://mhkeehn.tripod.com/trashcan.jpg
    http://politicalhumor.about.com/libr...s/carville.jpe

For once, Carville was a man ahead of his time.