Deleted

Leveling a Hunter ... a few questions regarding BM, pet and its talents

So I'm currently level 36 with a boar pet (soon Gorilla) - it's basically a tank pet. I'm kinda confused by the pet talent trees, I have to chose between DPS (threat) and survibility talents - but what's the best to go with? Which talents should I take first, and which skip totally while leveling as BM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just try to balance the two, although if your pet is a true badass, you just chain pull 7 or 8 mobs, mend pet once, and once it has a solid aggro lead, volley them down. Bears are better for levelling than a gorilla IMO, but you can have more fun naming gorillas. Oh well, I levelled as marks myself, but whatever floats your boat.

Deleted
    I heard that Gorillas thunderclap is pretty badass - thats why ... <_< why bear?

10+ Year Old Account
    Because the standard attack for bears functions as an AoE attack while not diminishing damage output, so it uses that more often than the thunderclap. Alligator is pretty good for aoe as well, because their passive makes them automatically damage any mob that attack them due to rough skin

Quote Originally Posted by Epsi View Post
    I heard that Gorillas thunderclap is pretty badass - thats why ... <_< why bear?
    Gorilla's have Pummel, an interrupt as their family skill.
    Thunderclap is now a pet talent for any type of tenacity pet. Bears have swipe on top of thunderclap while crocolisks have bad attitude (a sort of retaliation). This makes them the better AOE tanking pets.

Deleted
    So - should I focus on AEing mobs while leveling? D:

Stick with the bear, and as for talent points I would tale anything that increase your pet's HP/armor/threat gen in the pet talent tree.

Crokolisk / Bear are the best pet's for aoe'ing, bad attitude (Crokolisk Family skill) is pretty nice.
    http://www.wowhead.com/spell=52399#used-by-pet (croko)

http://www.wowhead.com/spell=53533 (Bear)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Epsi View Post
    So - should I focus on AEing mobs while leveling? D:
    Absolutely. Pull packs of mobs, and kill zem all.

tank pets are usless as BM all u can really do is auto shot and arcane shot for 50 lvls so u wont pull threat off of ur DPS pet get a cat for the bleed or a wolf for self buff

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by finnalblow View Post
    tank pets are usless as BM all u can really do is auto shot and arcane shot for 50 lvls so u wont pull threat off of ur DPS pet get a cat for the bleed or a wolf for self buff
    If you are doing single target, I suppose, but with a good tank pet you can easily solo group quest mobs, because they aren't nearly as squishy

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by finnalblow View Post
    I leveled with a Ferocity pet on one hunter and a Tenacity pet on the other. They both work, but Tenacity pets are much easier to solo with.

Quote Originally Posted by SeabeastRivin View Post
    I leveled with a Ferocity pet on one hunter and a Tenacity pet on the other. They both work, but Tenacity pets are much easier to solo with.
    I leveled as BM with a DPS pet for quite a while. I'd say into my 50s-60s if memory serves. I then switches to a tank pet. The reason being is that I don't have the talents, abilities, or mana pool to put out constant strong dps. I have auto-shot, steady, like... arcane. I go into a rotation, and a handful of special shots later, I'm oom. Going with an efficient rotation in order to keep your pet up, which most of your BM talents cater to, tends to be best.

Eventually you'll be out dps'ing any single target on a dps pet, which puts you at a must for a tank pet.

This isn't to say you won't AoE with your DPS pet, or even use a tank pet for AoE damage by picking up different talents.