Poll: Have you been hacked while using an Authenticator?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    5+ years of playing, no authenticator, never been hacked.
    keeping AV and firewall rules up to date, not broadcasting your email or personal information around, paying attention to what you click on or download will greatly help reduce your chance to be hacked. Not using your WoW email account all over the internet is a great start to protecting yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Ttam View Post
    I think he meant "Authenticator Hack Rate Study" simple mistake, not something big.

I myself don't own an Authenticator but I'm thinking of it but the deeper I think the more I think of it as a hassle. Yes, it gives a tiny bit more security to my account, but it also has a chance of being compromised. Not only that but every log in I need to put it in, and possibly soon on forums?

Just not worth the hassle in my eyes but to each their own
    I thought the exact same thing as you before I was keylogged. Its kind of weird, because I use noscript and rarely click any links, got great virus protection and don't give out my email to websites I don't 100% trust. THe keylogger was hidden well and I had to find and remove it manually.

My point is that even though I initially hated the idea of typing in that long series of numbers EVERY TIME I log in, it was so worth it and you get a much better sense of security. I have so much on my account that is important to me, I would be crushed if I woke up one day for it all to be gone once more.
    "There is a fly in the ointment. Shit has hit the fan. The lion will speak!" - Saul Silver

I've got authenticator on my ipod and I've never used it - never go hacked

I've been playing for 3 years now, got hacked once Before i got my hands on an authenticator, bought one the same day i got my account back, and had no problems ever since.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    People playing games for fun, the BASTARDS!

There has been only 1 case where an account with an authenticator has been compromised. Do you honestly think that if authenticators were unsafe Blizzard would keep it under wraps? No, they would make sure that the vulnerabilities are known and avoided.

And in case you think Blizzard would keep telling authenticators are 100% safe just to make money off sales - they are being sold for break-even cost, hell mobile authenticators cost 1$.

Quote Originally Posted by Chomag7 View Post
    The odds to be hacked while having an authenticator are about as high as getting hit by lightning. Sure, it IS possible and quite a few ppl had it happening to them but would really stay in the house everytime it rains outside ?!?
    People getting hit with lightening is'nt as rare as people make out at all, It happens more than regular enough for people to be watchful and concerned to be outdoors in a lightening storm, The odds of being struck are about 1-28,000. Not really much to do with the OT but assinine comparison is .......

Never been hacked with my authenticator. Never been hacked before it either.

Quote Originally Posted by Shale View Post
    There has been only 1 case where an account with an authenticator has been compromised. Do you honestly think that if authenticators were unsafe Blizzard would keep it under wraps? No, they would make sure that the vulnerabilities are known and avoided.

And in case you think Blizzard would keep telling authenticators are 100% safe just to make money off sales - they are being sold for break-even cost, hell mobile authenticators cost 1$.
    There has certainly been more than one case of an authenticator account being hacked. Just because they don't all make it to the mmo champ front page doesn't mean they aren't happening. Authenticators are not some magical shield that protects against all forms of hacking. They're a hell of a lot more secure than not having one, yes, but they do not make you hackproof. In fact, a significant part of the reason they are still so very effective is because there are so many target accounts that don't have them that it's not worthwhile to make hacks targeting accounts with authenticators.

10+ Year Old Account
    No hacks before or after Authenticator

10+ Year Old Account
    Was never hacked before, never been hacked with one. +1 for common sense
    01/01/07 since backwards threads reading / "The day EU trolled Blizzard". 22/02/11 Peace out.

I was hacked somewhere during vanilla wow years ago, since I was quite a bit younger didn't care about computer security and shared my computer with the rest of the family.
    I haven't been hacked since, but bought an authenticator none the less. €7 (or whatever the price is) is really not a lot of money for a bit of peace of mind.

(I wanted the mobile authenticator, but my rather new cellphone isn't compatible for no apparent reason. Does anyone actually know what the difference is between compatible and non-compatible phones?)