Most likely a silly question but..

If I'm undercut when selling glyphs is it best to take my auctions off and repost them?

Having ran low on gold again last night I decided to pour the last 1.5k or so onto an alt to level inscription. This is the first time I'm going to make an attempt to try and actually make a reasonable amount of gold instead of just sitting on just enough to maintain raiding (flask and repair costs).

If I was to post say 5 glyphs undercutting the person above me and then two more people come undercutting even further is it wise to take down my auction and repost undercutting those? Obviously if they undercut to a ridiculous extent I can just buy their glyphs and repost at the price I had listed but if it's only a couple of silver so that auction fees would probably make it work out at a loss for me to buy and resell would it help out in the long run?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rehkyt View Post
    If I'm undercut when selling glyphs is it best to take my auctions off and repost them?

Having ran low on gold again last night I decided to pour the last 1.5k or so onto an alt to level inscription. This is the first time I'm going to make an attempt to try and actually make a reasonable amount of gold instead of just sitting on just enough to maintain raiding (flask and repair costs).

If I was to post say 5 glyphs undercutting the person above me and then two more people come undercutting even further is it wise to take down my auction and repost undercutting those? Obviously if they undercut to a ridiculous extent I can just buy their glyphs and repost at the price I had listed but if it's only a couple of silver so that auction fees would probably make it work out at a loss for me to buy and resell would it help out in the long run?

Cheers
    Depends on the server. Depends on the amount the undercut by. If you can sell the glyphs anyway without reposting, don't. If you can't, then it might be worth taking them down and reposting.

That makes sense. I'll probably need to wait a while and see how fast glyphs tend to sell then before I can start to decide if its worth bring them off.

Thanks for the fast response.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    What Rehkyt said but also, depends on the amount they are undercutting and if you are farming the mats yourself as well. I have a horrible problem with undercutters on my server. They somtimes undercut by 50g! If the price of glyphs is really low like the competition undercut by 15g, buy it and sell it back if you have the money.

Firstly, for my server the glyph market is well and truely dead... I suspect this is because the content is effectively dead and people are no longer min/maxing, particularly with a 30% buff... min/maxing for the moment is dead.

As a result the demand for glyphs is at an all time low, and I also feel that people have worked out that it's not actually that hard to craft a glyph... you can do so for about 2g, that certainly beats the 40g per glyph I used to sell them for.

The best strategy with glyph selling is to always undercut, it's a low value high volume commodity and as such you need to ensure you are selling volume not profit margin. You'll find that the glyph market has become extremely competitive, at least I found it so after MMO-Champ posted some info a long time ago on how to make gold. In my estimation it's not a worthy use of your time in terms of gold making at this moment in time, obviously different servers have different economies... i'd suggest now is a good time for the farmers as raid consumables aren't in high demand.

I'm worried that this is the case for my server too. Most Glyph prices seem to be sitting at a max of 8g while it's costing around 3-4g to craft them. While that's still a profit they're also selling very slowly so it looks like I'm too late to the game.

That said I'm guessing that most of the crafting professions will be suffering a similar fate with it being so late in the expansion. I might just have to pick up a gathering profession on an alt to try and generate some gold to see me through till Cata and try and jump into developing markets quicker this time.

If your glyphs are the cheapest, they will be the first to sell.

However, if you are going to be watching the AH and reposting, I'd suggest only posting 1 at a time. No-one is likely to buy more than 1 of any glyph at a time (unless you're too cheap, and they're buying you out,) so it's a waste to sit there posting/cancelling 5 at a time.

Personally, I don't bother reposting because I'm lazy. At the start of my glyphing, I cancelled/reposted regularly, and it worked, but it was time consuming. Now I just post 3 of each glyph at a time, and check again the next day.
    If I'm feeling frisky I will post another 3 when I'm undercut, but I won't bother cancelling the ones that are already up.
    Last edited by ctrlfrk; 2010-07-29 at 03:05 AM. Reason: spelling

Generally if I undercut I do it by tiny amounts (usually 1 copper) so that it isn't really viable for them to buy me out. I guess that might sell the glyphs faster but it also would cut my profit too.

The most frustrating thing apart from the slow selling of glyphs is the deep undercutters. For example, this morning the price of Glyph of Seal of Wisdom reset from very low last night up to 20g or so which is about as high as I've seen them go on my server. I posted some more of my own undercutting by a small amount and kept an eye on the auctions. However, I went for my raid today and by the time I came back someone had undercut from 20g all the way down to 3g which depending on herb prices can even be a loss to sell the glyph at. I know that their intention is to get another glyph seller to buy them out so should I just wait it out? Or buy the Glyphs and risk encouraging them to continue to do it?

Another idea I've been toying with is trying to reset some of the glyph prices at least temporarily. Sometimes I stumble across what I would assumed to be a popular glyph (for example Glyph of Dark Death) where there are only say 10 glyphs listed at 3-4g. It's very tempting to just buy out all the glyphs and then repost them at a more desirable price (obviously nothing stupidly expensive as it wont sell, but maybe closer to the 20g mark like the Seal of Wisdom glyphs hit today) The main concern here is that someone could just jump in again and post them back down at the low price. Is it worth even attempting to do this? I'm hoping to try this once it gets later and it's less likely that other sellers will be online to instantly undercut me in the hopes that the price will stay at that level until players log on again tomorrow.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    you can buy the ones that are cheaper than you if it's by 1-2g for an easy profit .
    Insert Signiture here.

Knowing what the popular glyphs are is important. You might want to read the simple questions/answers for each class on jerks. Most the time the recommended glyphs are listed. If you put up a bunch of glyphs that sound good to you, but dont really matter...