Tactics for Starcraft 2 post here if you got one!

well, im in Silver League for 1v1 myself (sucks) and i have tryed some different tacs. but always gets overrun by someone or something when i think i can do it. anyone got some tactics you would like to share? dont need to be 1v1.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    well, im in Silver League for 1v1 myself (sucks) and i have tryed some different tacs. but always gets overrun by someone or something when i think i can do it. anyone got some tactics you would like to share? dont need to be 1v1.
    Race?

15+ Year Old Account
    I was about to post mine, but if your getting overrun then my "Sit back and mass 4 base as zerg then overrun them with Mutas" won't work too well...

If you are zerg check out Psy

Deleted
    if you want sc2 tactics, the best is to go a sc2 board i guess

Quote Originally Posted by PhailPally View Post
    Race?
    Protoss.

---------- Post added 2010-09-04 at 09:49 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by bowtux View Post
    if you want sc2 tactics, the best is to go a sc2 board i guess
    maybe, but all the replays and tips i see always get overrun. like now, i got killed by a big start army of Marins and Maruauders aganist my Zealots. someone knows what to strike with aganist M&M? would it have helped alot with some sentries to use guardian shield?

15+ Year Old Account
    maybe, but all the replays and tips i see always get overrun. like now, i got killed by a big start army of Marins and Maruauders aganist my Zealots. someone knows what to strike with aganist M&M? would it have helped alot with some sentries to use guardian shield?
    Yes, guardian shield will help tons.

Stalkers are also nice to have if your Zealots don't have charge.

Or if the game lasts long enough, get Collosi.

Edit: Post a replay of you getting overrun so I can see whats up. It would help understand the problem much more.

Judging by the information we're getting here, I'd say you're just slow (no offense meant).

Practice on getting the timing exactly right. Send out a probe at ~70 minerals towards the spot where you want to build a pylon (100 minerals) so he can build it right when you have sufficient minerals.

A good example of this is the 9 pylon. While you're building that pylon, the probe that makes your supply go to 10/10 is training at your Nexus. The pylon should be finished about the same time that probe is finished so you can push out probe 11 right away.

Scouting is also important - no need to pull your scouting probe away until there's a military unit out. Do you see a tech lab on those Barracks, and a Refinery ? Marauders incoming (or maybe reapers)

As for an actual counter - zealots with the charge upgrade are decent, Immortals are even better. Stalkers get killed quite easily, but if you use a few sentries to block off the bottom of your ramp (force fields ftw), your stalkers can shoot from high ground and the marauders (who shouldnt have vision on the high ground) can't fire back.

Well, sounds like you are a newer player. I'm still working out the kinks but there are a few things you will want to do.

-First I recommend you complete the first set of challenges, not just for your own race but for all three. These teach you what units counter which to an extent and also help you micro manage your armies properly, something you rarely see until Platinum+

-In no particular order (imo) you will also want to learn your keybinds or adjust them to your liking, learn about different build orders and how to properly manage resources and of course you really really want to scout or prepare for anything your opponent can throw at you. I'll admit, being in the lower leagues kind of bites because rather than any kind of coherent build order 90% of the players either rush you (like 6 pool zerg players...ughh) or one base camp for three hours, which generally tend to be terran with 20 siege tanks around their base.

My mistake when I first started in beta was skipping the basic stuff and going right to watching the pros play. While this certainly teaches you things you cant really witness the basics so ultimately its quite useless. Anyways there are lots of videos out there and I still watch some to learn about certain build orders. Believe me if you can do this you are way ahead of most players.

Lastly, Terran are exteremly OP atm :P

Terran is fine, they just require way lower micro then every other race (esp. Zerg).

If you just started with SC2/RTS games in general, don'T worry about getting overrun. The key to success is practice, practice, practice!
    SC2 consists of two big parts :
    Macro & Micro.

Macro is your base/tech management, while micro is your unit management.
    The key for good macro is a strong economy. You normally don't want to stop producing probes (don't queue them, build them one after another) until you've got your base fully saturated (what means 3 probes per Gas/Mineral Patch).
    You also want to scout the enemy, often after your 9 or 10 pylon or your 12 or 13 gate. This intel is CRUCIAL for a good gameplay. If you don't scout, you don't know what's coming at you.

In Silver/Gold League you are often safe with a 2 gate robo build, emphasis on a very fast observer to further scout the enemy (since most starters can't really do anything with the probe scouting results).

Rule of thumb is : You can support up to 4 production facilitys with a fully saturated base. Don't try to build 6 warpgates at once because you "could" produce faster if you're getting attacked. You're way safer with 2 constantly producing gates.

As already said, try to complete all the challenges, they will help you to improve your macro and especially micro (which unit counters what unit etc).

For further info, feel free to PM me, since I'm a diamond Protoss also.

Protoss

What is your tactic currently? Do you change it depending on who you meet?

I don't have any standard Issue 1A tactic to give, usually it depends on the opponent's race and what he does. I'm in the Bronze League and most people from the higher leagues seem to frown upon anyone from mine anyway.

---------- Post added 2010-09-09 at 11:12 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by heissler View Post
    (don't queue them, build them one after another)

Why's that?

You gather minerals at ~0,97min/sec, let's assume it's 1,0. Your non-boosted Probe builds 17 Seconds. That's 170mins with 10 probes while the Probe's building. If you gather with 12 probes, you will collect 204 minerals while 1 probe is building. That's enough for a gateway and another probe immediately after your last one finishes. That means at 12 probes is the turning point at which you'll lose time by queue'ing up probes instead of building them one after another

P.S: Try to avoid queue'ing in general, it's bad.

Quote Originally Posted by heissler View Post
    P.S: Try to avoid queue'ing in general, it's bad.

I usually queue if I have 2-3 expansions and need probes to storm out from them but also need to micro other tasks in the meantime. But that's quite late into the game.