Thread: Dark Simulacrum

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Dark Simulacrum

Anyone else noticed the change in the tooltip? I know it's NYI but it sounds scary.

Dark Simulacrum - Places a dark ward on an enemy that persists for 8 sec, triggering when the enemy next spends mana on a single-target spell, and allowing the Death Knight to unleash an exact duplicate of that spell. Against nonplayers, only absorbs some harmful spells.
    20 Runic Power, 40 yd range, Instant, 1 min cooldown

To clarify - it does not have to be a reflectable spell. But it has to be a single-target spell so don't start asking about Ice Block or Divine Shield. I wish it wasn't only an enemy target so I can copy a Divine Intervention for less repair bills but you will be able to copy a combat res too so it probably won't happen.

so what's scary about it?

I think "scary" in this context refers to something along the lines of "wtfpwnedsickness".
    Quote Originally Posted by kumduh View Post
    @Wingwraith: You can haz a point too, but only because you admit you're a tool!

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey, I have Dark Simulacrum on me! I probably shouldn't cast anything too useful.. Let's throw a quick heal.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolmann View Post
    so what's scary about it?
    Cleanse, Regrowth, Renew, Greater Heal, Hand of Freedom/Protection, Pain Suppression, Guardian Spirit, Lay on Hands.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal View Post
    Hey, I have Dark Simulacrum on me! I probably shouldn't cast anything too useful.. Let's throw a quick heal.
    If you use it at the right time, a quick heal wont be enough to save them.

Edit2:
    Hmm just realized absorbs could mean absorb and then release it later ... well in that case I will take my comment back and wait for final version.

Edit:
    By the current wording it is by no means clear if this will actually work on single target benefical spells. Given the PvE part I wouldn't count on it.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2010-07-28 at 05:28 PM.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

15+ Year Old Account
    Haven't read the absorbs spell from npcs, that actually makes it really useful for tanking.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    So far the wording of the tooltip is a major let down.

single target ? meh!
    only manaconsuming spells ? meh!
    only absorpbs "some" dmg in pve, making it a supergimped spell reflect? bah!

Seriously, I knew from the beginning this spell was underwhelming, but their tooltip rewording made it even worse. And FYI, yeah, I give a rat's hinderquarters about PvP, though even there it is medicore at best.

They should have given us AoE-Deathgrip or that struggling strangulate spell that makes you float in midair - stunned, these have at least minor value for everyone...

Edit:
    By the current wording it is by no means clear if this will actually work on single target benefical spells. Given the PvE part I wouldn't count on it.
    the tool tip says absorbs some spells not some of the dmg. Meaning there is some spells it won't absorb which is reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by lukeshep View Post
    the tool tip says absorbs some spells not some of the dmg. Meaning there is some spells it won't absorb which is reasonable.
    Some still means it won't work in 90% of the cases it were usefull .
    Edit: I just realized that absorp could mean something else too.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2010-07-28 at 05:28 PM.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Oh crap! Dark Simulacrum! I'd better cast Mind Soothe!

Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    Oh crap! Dark Simulacrum! I'd better cast Mind Soothe!
    Oh crap! Dark Simulacrum! If I finish my cast and kill that DK's teammate, the reflected spell will kill ME! If I don't, then that guy will get healed in time!

I'm kind of curious if Dark Simulacrum will work on targeted spells that still do AoE damage, such as Seed of Corruption.

10+ Year Old Account
    in arena: place on dps nuke healer, ever dps (caster ofc) sits and does nothing or attacks and nukes his own healer...should be fun.
    Chow is my love monkey.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingwraith View Post
    I think "scary" in this context refers to something along the lines of "wtfpwnedsickness".
    Sup copied Fusion Punch?

Hm... if you could have multiple Dark Simulacrum from different DKs on the same target... oh I can see it now..

5 DK's DS a mage that is about to PoM Pyro... I think we know what caused the cataclysm now.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldurok View Post
    Oh crap! Dark Simulacrum! If I finish my cast and kill that DK's teammate, the reflected spell will kill ME! If I don't, then that guy will get healed in time!

I'm kind of curious if Dark Simulacrum will work on targeted spells that still do AoE damage, such as Seed of Corruption.
    I think your first point is an important aspect of the spell. The ability to force those kinds of decisions on your enemies is very solid.

Regarding SoC, I don't see why it wouldn't. I may need to get a warlock friend on live to let me see if spell reflect works on SoC. I have no idea. :P

Quote Originally Posted by rabbimojo View Post
    As a spell reflect mechanic, it does have a limited list of abilities it can work with, but that's life.
    I am pretty sure that you cannot reflect every raid boss spell either. Especially if they make a spell which does damage = % of total HP of the target, or a debuff that temporarily decreases your total HP or your damage done. You will not be able to copy a spell like Saurfang's mark or Rotface's slime disease or LK's Defile. It's not something to be disappointed about...

Edit: rabbimojo, according to the forum, your post is from the future. It is 20:55 here and your post is from 21:19 it says.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    single target ? meh!
    only manaconsuming spells ? meh!
    only absorpbs "some" dmg in pve, making it a supergimped spell reflect? bah!
    Edit:
    DKs already have a solid toolbox, so everything they can be given at this point will either be underwhelming (or just 'whelming' ;P) or overpowered. Overpowered would then, of course, be nerfed until it was one of the first two options.

Essentially, this is at worst a spell reflect that 1) doesn't prevent the original from casting, 2) can be retargeted, and 3) can reflect Grounded spells.
    For DKs, who already have a good list of tools against casters, it's solid. It works for tanks and DPS just fine as-is. If you've never warrior tanked HFoS or old kingdom, you may not know the glee that is reflecting spells. Granted, this doesn't have the "tank doesn't take the damage" part (depending on how to interpret the wording), but currently it seems possible that multiple DKs could copy the same cast.

As a spell reflect mechanic, it does have a limited list of abilities it can work with, but that's life.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldurok View Post

I believe it will, since SoC has a single target effect and is cast on a single player... aoe spells like rain of fire, frost nova, cone of cold, shadowflame etc don't need a single target to use.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If [the dps] are on the wrong target, then they are playing badly and should be corrected and / or mocked, depending on how you roll.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by slayerx View Post
    I am pretty sure that you cannot reflect every raid boss spell either. Especially if they make a spell which does damage = % of total HP of the target, or a debuff that temporarily decreases your total HP or your damage done. You will not be able to copy a spell like Saurfang's mark or Rotface's slime disease or LK's Defile. It's not something to be disappointed about...

Edit: rabbimojo, according to the forum, your post is from the future. It is 20:55 here and your post is from 21:19 it says.
    You could probably copy a spell like Deathwhisper's Frostbolt, but not anything you listed.
    Edit: Fusion Punch might be something you could do as well, but something like Shock Blast from Mimiron no.