Thread: New mage help

New mage help

OK i just dinged 80 and i know there is alot of questions out there but honestly it just so confusing, so iw as wondering if soem pple coudl help me out just a few thigns i wanna no as this is my first level 80

1 WHat talent is good for heroics? and does it change when i do raids?
    2.What glyphs do i use?
    3. What rotation is godo for heroics and what rotation is godo for bosses
    Im pretty sure ive seen what to stack in what order like hit>haste etc
    btu cantr seem to find those 3 main things any help would be greatly appricated or if you wanted to /w on wow im

Incho on Xavius thanks alot guys

Here in the mage forums there are Sticky threads that can answer all of your questions. Read those before you come to the community as a whole with a question
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Hello. So to answer your questions...
    1) go arcane (look up my arcane spec)It always does high dps. After your decently geared (264 ilvl items mostly) go Fire.
    2) use my arcane glyphs for arcane spec
    3) rotation is mostly the same, you cast blizzard on trash ( 3+ mobs) and boss rotation is Arcane Blast x 4, use Arcane missiles IF missile barrage procs, otherwise use Arcane Barrage. Also remember to keep slow all the time on target. I suggest you also pop up Icy Veins and Arcane power to max out your dps.

If i helped you then im happy

Quote Originally Posted by Bdx View Post
    Hello. So to answer your questions...
    1) go arcane (look up my arcane spec)It always does high dps. After your decently geared (264 ilvl items mostly) go Fire.
    2) use my arcane glyphs for arcane spec
    3) rotation is mostly the same, you cast blizzard on trash ( 3+ mobs) and boss rotation is Arcane Blast x 4, use Arcane missiles IF missile barrage procs, otherwise use Arcane Barrage. Also remember to keep slow all the time on target. I suggest you also pop up Icy Veins and Arcane power to max out your dps.

If i helped you then im happy
    #1 is close, but wrong. Drop all points from student of the mind, replace with two in magic attunement and one in magic absorption. Consider pulling a second point into magic absorption for raiding, and moving a couple points from ice shards to frost warding to improve survivability.

#2 is correct.

#3 is wrong. You should never cast Arcane Barrage as part of your standing still rotation (it is valuable to have and cast while moving). Casting Arcane Missiles even without Missile Barrage active is a better choice. Keeping Slow on your target is entirely unnecessary to increase your damage. Debuffs applied by tanks that slow attack speed will trigger Torment the Weak. Make a macro to cast Arcane Power and Icy Veins at the same time. Don't hit this macro until your target is engaged by the tank. Both this spells do not trigger a global cooldown, so they can be slipped in between two spell casts when either comes off cooldown.

Quote Originally Posted by extrudedcow View Post
    #1 is close, but wrong. Drop all points from student of the mind, replace with two in magic attunement and one in magic absorption. Consider pulling a second point into magic absorption for raiding, and moving a couple points from ice shards to frost warding to improve survivability.

#2 is correct.

#3 is wrong. You should never cast Arcane Barrage as part of your standing still rotation (it is valuable to have and cast while moving). Casting Arcane Missiles even without Missile Barrage active is a better choice. Keeping Slow on your target is entirely unnecessary to increase your damage. Debuffs applied by tanks that slow attack speed will trigger Torment the Weak. Make a macro to cast Arcane Power and Icy Veins at the same time. Don't hit this macro until your target is engaged by the tank. Both this spells do not trigger a global cooldown, so they can be slipped in between two spell casts when either comes off cooldown.
    #1 Why shall i waste some crit for worthless 6 yds + 50% of more effective dampen/amplify when it's only usefull on Saurfang?

#3 Well, maybe ABrr isn't best choice. I have teh macro.

Also, i'll start playing again tommorow

#1 Why shall i waste some crit for worthless 6 yds + 50% of more effective dampen/amplify when it's only usefull on Saurfang?

#3 Well, maybe ABrr isn't best choice. I have teh macro.

Also, i'll start playing again tommorow
    More range = less movement = more time dpsing.

And there is no maybe about arcane barrage. You don't use it in your rotation. At all. Only time you ever use it is if you have to move and will lose your arcane blast stack.

All this is in the stickies. Read the mage pve faq both of you.

6 yds aren't a change at all. For me more crits=more damage=more dps.
    And, i use Abr after AM. It hits like it was an extra AM, and thus, increases my dps.

And, i use Abr after AM. It hits like it was an extra AM, and thus, increases my dps.
    You waste the gcd?

And you are wrong in doing that, you are better off re-stacking arcane blast than to use abarr.

ABx4-AM[Mbar] is a relatively standard 'rotation' before you get 2PCxT10
    Abarr should only be used (as previously noted) when you are moving and you won't have time to continue casting AB or use your Arcane Missiles (and to not waste a GCD if you have 0 stacks)

the extra range is a fantastic talent, the amount of dps that you get per point in sotm is much less than 1%, which you will lose that 1% if the boss moves out of range of your spells and you have to reposition.

Oh, and littleminister, please check over your posts, it didn't look like English was your second language, it just looked like you were too lazy to re-type what you wrote and it looks horrible.
    Last edited by Anobix; 2010-07-30 at 09:27 PM.