How will this Laptop run WoW?

Let me know if this laptop will run WoW smoothly. I'd like something that won't give me trouble in big 25 man raids.
    Im assuming it will be fine - decent processor, good ram amount, non-integrated graphics (I think?).

But either way, let me know your opinions.

AMD Turion II Ultra Dual-Core M660 2.7GHz
    4GB DDR2
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 1024MB

---------- Post added 2010-07-29 at 10:39 PM ----------

Damn.. apparently I can't post links.
    Last edited by Starcloud; 2010-07-30 at 02:46 AM.

Laptop procesors are weak in general.

Based on CPU benchmark alone I'd guesstimate you get around 10-15fps in 25-man raids on high graphics (with shadows off), and less than 5fps in busy Wintergrasp. In low-ish graphics you should get 15-20fps in raids and have it totally playable.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

So im going to need to spend over $1000 on a laptop that will run wow with decent frame rates?

Try more than $1000. Laptops are built for mobility. Even the "gaming" laptops are really not that great.

Huh.. Well in that case I may just quit wow. Im going away to school and will be back and forth between my home town and where my school is. It'd be pointless to continue playing wow unless I had portability and I just don't have 2 grand to spend on a laptop =\

Anyone have an opinion on my situation?

Quote Originally Posted by Starcloud View Post
    Anyone have an opinion on my situation?
    1) Buy more expensive laptop
    2) Play at lower fps. 10-15 is still totally playable.
    3) Quit WoW

Don't see any other options really.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

How often are you traveling back and forth? Moving a desktop isn't really that difficult these days (my god I hated moving my 21" CRT back in the day!). Unless you have to fly back and forth I guess.

3 days here, 4 days there.

A laptop I can just toss in a backpack and go.
    Im looking at getting a macbook pro now though, apparently it will run wow better than that laptop and I will need one for school anyway.

3 days here, 4 days there.

A laptop I can just toss in a backpack and go.
    Im looking at getting a macbook pro now though, apparently it will run wow better than that laptop and I will need one for school anyway.
    Yes, Macbook Pro will run WoW at playable speeds, but it costs significantly more than equivalent Windows laptop. But... If you need one for school, then there's no reason to even think about 2nd laptop.
    Trolling should be.

This is off-topic, by why on earth would you commute between school like that? College is the best time of your life, and going home on the weekends would ruin it.

Though I guess you could have family reasons, which would stink.

Well heres the situation.

Im looking at going to school for audio production NEXT YEAR and that course requires a macbook
    Im travelling between my home town and the town where my girlfriend is going to school.

I need to be home 3 days a week for band practice and the other 4 days I will spend up at my girlfriends

Well heres the situation.

Im looking at going to school for audio production NEXT YEAR and that course requires a macbook
    Im travelling between my home town and the town where my girlfriend is going to school.

I need to be home 3 days a week for band practice and the other 4 days I will spend up at my girlfriends
    Holy hell that is a lot of travel.

Hmm, sincerely, even when laptops are better for movility i would rather buy a desktop and carry it or buy two desktops. If you buy the parts and mount it yourself you could have two desktops that could run wow very decently for the price of one laptop. Intel core i5, 4gig ram and gt 240 could cost 700 or so and would run wow at max settings. I tried a gts 240 3gig i7 and wow ran at max settings at 60 fps ( i think my monitor or something else is limiting the fps, not the video card, since a gtx 470 didnt get higher fps)
    Last edited by exdeath202; 2010-08-01 at 02:33 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowIceAvian View Post
    What OS X exclusive audio editing software are they teaching you to use, Garageband?
    On the top of my head I can think of Logic Studio as a more serious mac-only app they might need.

A 15-17 inch current generation macbook with Core i5 and Nvidia GT 330M should run WoW pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by exdeath202 View Post
    I tried a gts 240 3gig i7 and wow ran at max settings at 60 fps ( i think my monitor or something else is limiting the fps, not the video card, since a gtx 470 didnt get higher fps)
    I'm running a build very similar to this and hit 100fps+ most places.
    You get capped at 60 FPS if you have "Vertical Sync" and "Triple Buffering" ticked in video options.
    Afaik, they don't provide any noticable benifits.. but disabling them would increase your FPS by 2x.

Quote Originally Posted by iWolfBanei View Post
    I'm running a build very similar to this and hit 100fps+ most places.
    You get capped at 60 FPS if you have "Vertical Sync" and "Triple Buffering" ticked in video options.
    Afaik, they don't provide any noticable benifits.. but disabling them would increase your FPS by 2x.
    Maximum FPS does not mean anything except for ePeen purposes. Do not be blinded by it. What's more important is minimum FPS which makes the difference between playable and unplayable. One great example is aoe'ing whelps on Onyxia25 where most people hit their minimum FPS.

Turning off vsync uncaps the FPS, but it will actually reduce your picture quality and make video captures look really shitty.
    Trolling should be.

Set your monitor refresh rate to 75Hertz if it allows. Bit of a difference from 60.

My GF is starting wow but won't buy a desktop because she is also going to be very mobile in the next few years. I was wondering about this laptop for wow, and keeping it at the default system specifications(to reduce prices). What sort of fps am i looking at for medium graphics settings?

Here is the link: http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Batta..._Gaming_Laptop

Deleted
    So im going to need to spend over $1000 on a laptop that will run wow with decent frame rates?
    Spend $600 on a good computer, then $400 on an okish laptop if you need it for work etc.