Deleted

Question Mages, Leveling and Cataclysm

Hey Mages,

My main question (and the TL;DR) for any Mage that can answer it - What does leveling look like for new mages in Cataclysm?

Back-story: I've never taken a Mage over level 29 (I want to get it higher, but just don't have it in me to level another alt), and thanks to the redesign in Cata, I can go with a Goblin Mage and enjoy the new areas.

For leveling, it will be with 2 other dps, questing as well as dungeons, so when I first took a look at the trees, I figured Arcane would be the best bet due to its nature of being the high burst spec. However, I gather Arcane Barrage will be the only spell available for Arcane users until a lot later on, so the majority of the time it sounds like fire/frost spells would be used instead, right?

On the other hand there is Fire and Frost. Pyroblast and DoTs don't sound like low-level group spells, which leaves the other option as Frost. The Mages I mentioned earlier have all been Frost, and the spec felt decent enough to play except frostbolt spamming could get a bit boring - I tried the Blizzard AoE grinding tactic, but it ended up with me being more bored thanks to downtime.

This brings me back to my first question - how does leveling look for mages. If anyone could give me some insight, for example the downtime for either low-level Arcane or Frost, it would be appreciated. Also, the new Shatter talent - if someone could clarify this for me, but I am assuming that a Frost mage with say 10% crit will have a 30% chance to crit a frozen target when they have 2/2 Shatter?

SC.

Simple answer. go frost.

Might be that its a bit dull compared to fire, but it allows you to do group quests on your own.

15+ Year Old Account
    the problem is frost mages lose frostbite and FoF+shatter+imp blizzard, AND blizzard is trained at a later level than before so the AoE grind power of frost has been cut down significantly. this may even out the playing field for leveling in cata across the specs, but i'd wait and see for a few more beta builds to figure out how they want the trees to look.
    BfA Beta Time

idd the aoe grind is over, tho that doesent make frost any weaker when it comes to questing. Kite n win.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordoran View Post
    idd the aoe grind is over, tho that doesent make frost any weaker when it comes to questing. Kite n win.
    considering you get talent points once every two levels, getting to ice barrier for the kiting may take longer. i'd say fire for low levels then frost or arcane once you can get the end tree talents.
    BfA Beta Time

Deleted
    Thanks for the replies.

Why would you need Ice Barrier for kiting? And as I mentioned, I will be with 2 other DPS the majority of the time, which makes me doubt the power of a long cast such as Pyroblast, especially if its under attack by a party member already.

Deleted
    If you are planning on group leveling it honestly depends on what other classes you are leveling with as to which spec becomes better.

If you are leveling with 2 ranged then id recommend frost as the kite factor is really nice. However if there are one or two melee leveling with you kiting becomes less important and therefore id recommend fire or arcane depending on your style. After looking at the current beta build talent tree's arcane would be your best bet for killing single mobs and fire would be better for killing mutiple mobs / packs simultaneously.

As far as mana and downtime are concerned at low levels blizz have significantly increased mana regen, and with you leveling in a group you shouldnt need to drink until about level 15-20. At level 22 evocate is introduced meaning mana issues shouldnt be something you really need to worry about at all.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone Castle View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

Why would you need Ice Barrier for kiting? And as I mentioned, I will be with 2 other DPS the majority of the time, which makes me doubt the power of a long cast such as Pyroblast, especially if its under attack by a party member already.
    1)so you don't take damage while kiting if a mob SHOULD reach you.

2)shattered barrier

kiting is easy without ice barrier, but it becomes fool proof with it.
    BfA Beta Time

What I'd like to know is why pyroblast is the main spell fire mages get upon taking the spec, besides pulling mobs you won't bother with the spell until you get hot streak anyways.

From the looks of it leveling a mage in the lower levels will be very diffent, mages won't have arcane blast for a while still but arcane barrage makes it reasonable to spec arcane.

However whatever spec you take it will be frostbolt/fireball spam for a long time