Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Question New gaming computer - need opinions

Hello everyone! Whiskers here again and got some questions this time. I got my eye on a package computer that they let me customize in every way I want. So here is what I have been thinking. (edited now)

Case: NZXT Lexa Blueline Edition (air cooling)
    Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D Premium
    PSU: Corsair HX1000W
    CPU: Intel i7 930 @ 2.8GHz
    GPU: 2x Nvidia GeForce 460GTX cards
    Memory: 6GB RAM DDR3 @ 1600MHz
    HDDs: 1x SSD (Corsair Nova Series 128GB 2,5")for OS and WoW. 1x 2TB regular HDD (movies and the like) Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB PWR SATA 7200rpm 16MB
    Display Screen: 24" Widescreen, LG, 1920x1200 resolution (this I already have had for over 2 years)

Plan is to run WoW on ultra settings at high FPS while still be able to run programs at background.
    Price for all this is yet to be decided, since I haven't asked for offer from their side.

Now I am interested to hear your thoughts about this piece of decent junk that I'm probably going to buy (and hope it doesn't become useless before 2-3 years have passed).

-Whiskers

PS: Ofc I fucked up the topic name, should be "New gaming computer - need opinions" :< nvm
    PSS: Main use will be 25man / 10man raids / PvP / just about everything
    Last edited by Taistelumestari Viiksi; 2010-07-29 at 04:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    I have a black belt in common sense compared to your white.

The case is butt ugly. It looks like poop.

A good 850w power supply would be fine, even with fairly substantial overclocking.
    12gb of ram is useless for gaming, if you have any other need for it feel free to explain, but if you're only playing games then 6gb would suffice, spend the saved money on a larger SSD.
    Cataclysm is still in beta, SLI performance may be subject to change and it may become useless if they find a problem with supporting it. As far as I know there have been no mentions by blue posters of SLI/CrossfireX performance changes, but I've seen mentions of it a few times recently on here.
    Errors using inadequate data are much less than those using no data at all. - Charles Babbage

In addition to what None said above

If you're paying OEM/retail price for Win7, do not get ultimate for gaming purposes. It's wasted money. A lot of wasted money. Home Premium is totally fine. Professional and Ultimate are somewhat reasonable purchases only if you're getting it on student discount or some other special pricing. The added features in those will do absolutely nothing in home use that free opensource apps can't do just as well or better unless you really need to be able to run Windows in multiple languages.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2010-07-29 at 01:44 PM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by None View Post
    The case is butt ugly. It looks like poop.
    Mmkay. But is it bad or something? If you have better one, please do post a link or information about it.

15+ Year Old Account
    That setup looks good. The 2x GTX 470 might be a bit overkill, though, for WoW performance. Dual GTX 460s would give just as good of performance in WoW (and in probably anything else you wanted to play) at a lower cost, lower heat, and lower power consumption. Otherwise everything looks good.

As far as I know, an i7 920/930 should clock up to a 960's speed (3.2GHz) on a stock (or low end) air cooler. Don't quote me on that, though. The better bet would be to get a good quality air cooler (or something like the Corsair H50 for low-end water cooling) and clock the 920/930 up to 3.8-4.2GHz.

Sorry to derail a bit, but can someone explain the benefits of having two GPUs? I'm fairly computer illiterate, and in my brain I don't understand how the two cards could "share" the load of a single game. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jaimelannister View Post
    Sorry to derail a bit, but can someone explain the benefits of having two GPUs? I'm fairly computer illiterate, and in my brain I don't understand how the two cards could "share" the load of a single game. Thanks!
    Extremely simplified explanation:

One GPU always draws top half of the screen, one GPU always draws bottom half of the screen. Therefore both can theoretically double the FPS because frame size is halved.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post

One GPU always draws top half of the screen, one GPU always draws bottom half of the screen. Therefore both can theoretically double the FPS because frame size is halved.
    ^this

Ah, very cool. Thanks!

everything is good that i can see. only thing i would do is get a good cooler like the corsair h50 or a really good air cooler and overclock the cpu. also the psu is overkill but keep it is very good. also i would look at the ocz vertex2 ssd it has the new sandforce controller which is better than the corsair nova series. corsair force series is the sandforce controller if you want corsair ssd.

also the case is subjective. get what you like just check reviews and make sure it has good airflow.

Case: Azza Solano 1000 or gtfo.

Thank you everyone for your replies, they're much appreciated. I have a pretty good image now about what I am going to do. Thanks \o

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    As far as I know, an i7 920/930 should clock up to a 960's speed (3.2GHz) on a stock (or low end) air cooler. Don't quote me on that, though. The better bet would be to get a good quality air cooler (or something like the Corsair H50 for low-end water cooling) and clock the 920/930 up to 3.8-4.2GHz.
    It runs really hot on stock even at 3.2. I have good airflow in my case and I did exactly what you described OC to 3.2 temps were high. Now I have an after market cooler and everything is frosty cool.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dethh View Post
    It runs really hot on stock even at 3.2. I have good airflow in my case and I did exactly what you described OC to 3.2 temps were high. Now I have an after market cooler and everything is frosty cool.
    Good to know. From what I'd heard, it should have run on the stock cooler at 3.2GHz, but we all know how third-hand information is. Sorry about that.

So Cilraaz, you sure about clocking 930 to 4,0GHz with good quality air cooler?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post

this is only partially correct. there are 2 kinds of games: CPU limited and GPU limited. in the first example, the GPU needs to wait for the CPU to send the images to show. in this case, SLI won't really make any noticeable difference on framerate, since they'll be waiting for new frames to generate often. GPU limited games are games where the GPU can't keep up with the data the CPU sends. in this case, SLI is a godsend.

and while we're at it, SLI also allows for alternate frame rendering, where the GPU's alternate rendering a complete frame. especially GPU-limited games benefit from this.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taistelumestari Viiksi View Post
    That I'm certain about. My i5 750 is at 3.8GHz and the i7's actually overclock a bit farther.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    That I'm certain about. My i5 750 is at 3.8GHz and the i7's actually overclock a bit farther.
    So a LGA1366 i7 930 with an H50 with 2 fans in push/pull can safely overclock to? (planning on buying)

Also considering the I7 960, so what can that overclock to with same cooler? ^^

Quote Originally Posted by nzall View Post
    this is only partially correct.
    And that's why I used the word "simplified". The person who asked what's SLI said he's computer illiterate.

When the very first 3DFX Voodoo2 cards did SLI, the acronym literally meant "Scan Line Interleaving" and the cards would draw each line of the picture alternatively. Currently SLI for Nvidia means "Scalable Link Interface", which is basically just technobabble.

SLI has three modes for load balancing. Split-Frame Rendering which splits the screen in half horizontally and one card draws top half one card draws bottom half. Alternate Frame Rendering where the cards take turns in drawing full frames. And finally SLI Antialising which was originally used just to run heavy AA filter second card into the frame first card renders. I guess the third mode can be used now for more effects than just AA. It depends on game which of the three modes is used.

ATI's CrossFireX (the current name) does only alternate frame rendering, but it has also option of using two very different levels of GPUs. SLI always requires identical GPUs to operate.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Taistelumestari Viiksi View Post
    I have a 920 running at 4Ghz currently, and it's on a Titan Fenrir cooler. It's an alright cooler, but it's no Noctua. I'll eventually get one of the H50s, or whatever is out in future, but honestly theres little point.
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7