SC2 - Why I did not buy it and why I now hate it.

Reasons I did not buy the game.

- It costs 60 USD and will end up costing close to 200 dollars with all the expansions.

- I am piss poor slow at RTS and I would get angry losing 90% of the time. Face it, no one likes losing. You can sit there and say it does not bother you, but you know it does.

- When I was about to buy the digital download version, I read articles about SC2 overheating GPUs and melting them. lol

Reason why I hate SC2.

- 5 to 8 people in my raiding guild have hardly showed up for raids.. Their reason? "Playing SC2 instead"

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianCC100 View Post
    Reasons I did not buy the game.

- When I was about to buy the digital download version, I read articles about SC2 overheating GPUs and melting them. lol
    I won't refute your whole post, but this is due to systems with bad cooling. Any decent system built in the last 3 years has no problems.

Deleted
    Interesting information for everyone to read.. I guess we should make a topic with the following title :
    SC2 - Why I did buy the game and why I love it even more

Actually as far as I know, SCII was melting nVidia cards because the drivers had some kind of a defect that it didn't increase the fan speed while the SCII menu was running at hundreds of FPS thus making the GPU under 100% load all the time. They fixed that issue though last I heard.

If the campaigns are going to cost ten bucks a pop, and let's say they went with the expansion plan afterwards... 60 Plus 30-40, add the 20 from the two campaigns, it would be somewhere around 120 plus tax.

I don't think it would be 200 bucks, even with tax. Their expansion packs aren't standalone, they usually cost 30-40 plus tax.

Also, you dont neccesarily have to be good at Real Time strategy. Seriously. A majority of the community played user made map setting maps like Tower Defense. If you saw the Metal Slug remake map video (with shitty, uneventful, annoying commentary), You can see the Map editor can go beyond the RTS.
    Last edited by Caradinist; 2010-08-03 at 01:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Respen
    I was very disappointed in the screenshots. I usually base my entire gaming experience around ground textures and so far it seems like Cata will be totally unplayable.

Quote Originally Posted by Caradinist View Post
    If the campaigns are going to cost ten bucks a pop, and let's say they went with the expansion plan afterwards... 60 Plus 30-40, it would be somewhere around 120 plus tax.

I don't think it would be 200 bucks, even with tax. Their expansion packs aren't standalone, they usually cost 30-40 plus tax.

Also, you dont neccesarily have to be good at Real Time strategy. Seriously. A majority of the community played user made map setting maps like Tower Defense. If you saw the Metal Slug remake map video (with shitty, uneventful, annoying commentary), You can see the Map editor can go beyond the RTS.
    I have no idea how much the expansions will cost, I just assumed they all will be 60 dollars each.

Do these expansions have any effect on the multiplayer part? Or is it all single player?

Quote Originally Posted by Caradinist View Post
    This. The user-created content for starcraft and warcraft have been very good. Legends of War for Warcraft 3 is one of my favorite things to play.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianCC100 View Post
    I have no idea how much the expansions will cost, I just assumed they all will be 60 dollars each.

Do these expansions have any effect on the multiplayer part? Or is it all single player?
    Concerning both Single player and Multiplayer If you're talking expansions? Yes. Frozen Throne, Beyond the Dark Portal, Brood War have all affected them. If you only have the Original Starcraft, for example, you wont be playing with folks who own Brood War.

That's just the way it is and always has been. Big difference between Campaigns and full blown expansion packs though.

Starcraft II just came out, One Campaign with five protoss missions (equaling 32 missions(?). The original game had about 30 missions in total, 10 for each campaign) and the other campaigns are coming soon. To me, i don't see this as a game released with one third of the content.

Considering this game finally came out after a decade of waiting, i don't think we should be worrying about expansions for awhile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Respen
    I was very disappointed in the screenshots. I usually base my entire gaming experience around ground textures and so far it seems like Cata will be totally unplayable.

I think the fact it took them 10 years to release a sequel with slightly improved graphics and just 1 complete campaign is the worrying fact. The graphics are fine but it is not revolution nor proper evolution. The campaign might be huge but it is still only 1/3 of what was expected.
    Im really interested to see how they plan to release the expansions, the frequency and their price. I will buy the game eventually but not before Im able to find out more about their plans. And last but not least upgrade my "ancient" computer which is apparently good to run WOW but it cant run quasi-2D/3D RTS......

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron01 View Post
    I think the fact it took them 10 years to release a sequel with slightly improved graphics and just 1 complete campaign is the worrying fact. The graphics are fine but it is not revolution nor proper evolution. The campaign might be huge but it is still only 1/3 of what was expected.
    Im really interested to see how they plan to release the expansions, the frequency and their price. I will buy the game eventually but not before Im able to find out more about their plans. And last but not least upgrade my "ancient" computer which is apparently good to run WOW but it cant run quasi-2D/3D RTS......
    What ? I mean no offense, but the graphs remark i really dont get.
    have you set them on " low" or something ?
    I found the graps/ effects/ cinematics to be pretty amazing.

The " 1 complete camapign " was announced long ago,
    that campaign consists of a grand total of 29 missions.
    If we compare that to other games (non Blizzard RTS games f.e.)i'd say they delivered pretty well.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kerwyn View Post
    I won't refute your whole post, but this is due to systems with bad cooling. Any decent system built in the last 3 years has no problems.
    People were getting like 30k fps during load screens, that was the reason :P

But yeah, if you had decent cooling it had no issues.

10+ Year Old Account
    I want to type:
    [ Another useless thread, which only a handful of people will take interest in. And guess what - THEY ALL MADE SIMILAR THREADS! ]

But I'm gonna go with...
    Good for you

...Instead.
    So just pretend you did not read the first part.

RONG WHIT DOG!

Your missing out mate, its a great game. And is finally bringing me away from WoW - which is always a good thing. Not lost any raiders to it yet though but i wouldn't be surprised or angry if they did anyway

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    There's more to hate SC2 for that's actually valid to hate about it.
    Or rather, it's the Bnet 2.0 publishing system and costum maps system. It's really bad.
    The modding and mapmaking community is being bumhumped and pissed on.

You said that you hate rts games....SO WHY DO YOU THINK THAT YOU'D ENJOY SC2? (oh and the campaign is as long as SC1 total)

Very interesting thread
    Pandaren Warrior - Lv 95, full T17
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonus View Post
    Since this was early in the patch, we decided to go with the 4 tank strat. We ask him to go tank Lord Mograine. He then instantly tells us that "he cannot tank the godfather of DK's, it wouldnt be right to raise my axe against him". He instantly gquits and hearths out.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    costum maps system. It's really bad.
    It has it's ups, for instance I can join a game with friends, which was a pain in the ass to do with SC1 and WC3. "Ok dude, join LegionTD1.5c Nividabot#304928...nvm it's filled"

It really needs some work, however.

Quote Originally Posted by seam View Post
    It has it's ups, for instance I can join a game with friends, which was a pain in the ass to do with SC1 and WC3. "Ok dude, join LegionTD1.5c Nividabot#304928...nvm it's filled"

It really needs some work, however.
    The custom map system is decent for finding games quickly, but could use some work. Honestly though, that's really my only complaint about the package, and I'd rather shy away from custom maps until the more polished ones start to come out anyway. I remember reading a post by blizzard back in beta that they were working on an overhaul for the custom game interface for the first retail patch.

SotIS is pretty good as a DotA clone though. Kinda hard to figure out what's going on since it's SO DARK.